Yellow Scabs??!!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
I brought Carling in last night and his back legs were covered in little yellow scabs. He's also got a few on his legs and on his back. When you pick the scabs off, there is a little pin prick on the pink skin. We thought he'd probably just had a fight with a thorn bush but now we've found them on his back it can't be that because he wears a rug. Any ideas what they could be?Could it be fleas or ticks or something? Any help would be great!!!

Tia

Visit site
Could it be rainscald? Explain a bit more and we may have a better idea on how to offer suggestions....or do you have a photo of it?

kcgibson

Visit site
Yellow scabs are usually due to the serum in the blood and usually occur with superficial wounds (as opposed to deeper wounds). Things like a graze usually produce serum and the small pin pricks you describe would sound about right. Dont know what caused them tho!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Basically, if you run your hands along his legs and back you can feel aload of lumps. then if you move the fur out the way there are small yellow scabs, they're about 3/4mm big so seriously small. When you pull the scabs off the skin underneath is pink with a tiny pin prick in the centre. The scabs are quite strong though, it didn't like us pulling them off at all. Wasn't able to take any photos cause phone was dead so no camera.

CastleMouse

Visit site
Pretty sure it must be rainscald then. Pick off all the scabs, it will hurt him though but it's the best thing to do. Keep him stabled until it clears up and keep the area dry. Use hibiscrub to clean up the area after you've picked off the scabs, the hair will grow back quite quickly
smile.gif
Hope this helps
smile.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
Someone posted something similar last week (don't know how to do the link). My lad has had two yellow scabs appear but they came off quite easly with the hair and don't appear to bother him at all. I cleaned them and they are healing ok. His coat started growing out about the same time so maybe something to do with that? However if your's bother him might be something else??
Sorry, not much help..

passie

www.llanthony.co.uk
I agree with CastleMouse, sounds like rainscald. If you soak the scabs with some warm water with hibiscrub in the scabs will come off more easily, and hurt him less. Be sure to dry his back out properly after though. My horse gets it very badly every winter, and I have to stable him to clear it up. It's the naturally occuring bacteria on his skin flaring up because of damp conditions - a little like mud fever.