Yellow tail nightmare on grey horse!

Equinus

Visit site
My old mare had a very thick white tail which used to catch the wee, nightmare! I had to be very diligent with washing very regularly, whatever he weather. I have tried allsorts, even glo-white and such, but once it's clean the best thing is a barrier like a silicon based de-tangler, so any muck is easier removed. There are expensive products available now which weren't then, so someone will be along to advise.

be positive

Visit site
I hot clothed my grey yesterday after clipping using white vinegar and very hot water, having rather a lot of water left I dunked his tail, which was rather yellow, in the water and just left it to dry, I cannot believe how clean it is now so will be doing this regularly as it has done a better job than the shampoo was and so much quicker.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If very yellow we use Ariel powder .
But we try to never let the greys tails get too dirty .
Cowboy magic to act as a barrier in day to day life.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I find plaiting helps as well once it is white enough. And even if is isn't, by time all brushed out it looks whiter than it is :D Nugz tail also seems to go yellow in the sun as well which doesn't help :(

I wash in washing up liquid to get rid of mud/grease etc, then gallop extra strength (leave in for about 10 mins), followed by copious amounts of detangler, plait while wet and leave. I only touch the tail when doing pony parties, or if the plait is falling out. Seems to work!!

I have known of people using platinum blonde hair dye kits :eek:

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
steradent tablets dissolved. soak your washed tail in the steradent liquid for as long as you want to hold the bucket. or keep dunking it til water used up. Also make sure you wash the tail in hot hot water as it gets it much cleaner.

PingPongPony

Visit site
wash tail with washing up liquid or diamond white shampoo, then put biological washing powder for white clothes into bucket with luke warm water, dunk the tail in and hold the bucket for as long as you can, do not rinse the tail, spray the tail with vanish (do not spray the dock, legs etc) leave it in for a few minutes. brush, rinse tail, and its all nicely done :)
Finished tail looks like this:
Untitled-2.jpg

PolarSkye

Visit site
OK - something of an expert in this field . . . ;).

First, you need to wash grey tails in warm water . . . lifts dirt and stains so much better than cold.

Second, you need to use some sort of whitening product . . . I use regular laundry whitener (but only on the ends and never near the dock)

Third, if you use some sort of whitener, always use a conditioner afterwards to prevent drying and breakage

Fourth, blue shampoo is your friend - use it for multiple washes

Fifth, keep the tail clean . . . seriously - brush it twice a day, use products like Mane & Tail to help keep any mud from sticking, wash it once a week to get poo stains out even if you aren't going out for competitions, and keep it trimmed

Hope that helps.

P

GinaGeo

Visit site
I wash my grey's tail with Wahl Diamond White shampoo, followed by lathering the end (not the dock) with ariel excel gel, I use the capsules, and pop one onto the tail and lather well, then leave it for 5 mins. Rinse again with clean, hot water. Then it gets smothered in a cheapy conditioner, I use co-op's own apple scented conditioner, as it's so cheap I have the tail practically dripping in it. Rinse again in more clean, hot water. Cover in Gallop tail conditioner spray and then plait it (although only in winter - he needs it as a fly swat in summer!) I also keep it cut relatively short in winter to keep it thick and out the mud.

Here it is after the above had been done to it out on Hound exercise :)

e5bb6e21-57c9-44fb-b0ae-a44738226ab7_zpsd85bae56.jpg

Last edited:

Highlands

Visit site
steradent tablets dissolved. soak your washed tail in the steradent liquid for as long as you want to hold the bucket. or keep dunking it til water used up. Also make sure you wash the tail in hot hot water as it gets it much cleaner.

Agree, Touch of silver for humans is the best!