Yep - Another Bit Q but please help

kal40

Visit site
Hi

Have a 6 yr old WB who has been ridden in a loose ring french link but he is really mouthy and seems to try to chew bit through. On advise from instructor changed to a normal snaffle and this seems to make him worse. When I got him, he was ridden in a happy mouth snaffle but really bit hard down on that - enough to take chunks out of it.

He has a plain noseband on atm, I did use a flash noseband but found he really objected to that too by pulling his head down.

I have been off riding due to surgery but got the all clear from hospital yesterday
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
and can start riding again so need to get sorted. Has anyone got any ideas? Teeth checked and are fine btw. Back done 2 weeks ago.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Try a thinnish >16mm loose ring lozenge bit

The french link flops in the mough and can pinch the tongue. A standard jointed snaffle pinches the tongue and often stabs the roof of the mouth, not exactly comfy for the horse.

WB's usually have quite fat tongues, which is why you really need something under 16mm in diameter. The lozenge is much quieter than a french link.

However when working hard many horses do chomp

kal40

Visit site
Thanks - I'll have a look for one. At this rate, I'm going to have a drawer full of bits.

Silverspring

Visit site
I would try the thinner lozenge bit first but if he's still being a bit gobby you could try the Sprenger correction bit, known a fair few WB's who quietened right down with this in. The metal alloy is much warmer than normal stainless steal bit. Other suggestion would be sweet iron, maybe it's less the shape of the bit than the taste/coldness?

Joannahartland

New User
Visit site
I started my youngster off in a Neue Schule starter bit. and i haven't got a bad word to say about it. being a trakehner i figured he hasn't got room in there for a thick 'comfy' bit, so got him going in the 14mm. the metal ('Salox' i think) is meant to make it more pleasant for them. all i can definitly say is hes a happy chappy in it. its got a central lozenge too as suggested by Cotswolds SJ.

Jezzerbell

Visit site
I work my boy in a dublin frenchlink pinchless snaffle - he loves it each side moves independent to the other bit like a myler but MUCH cheaper. He has also got quite a fleshy tounge, I alternate between this a happy mouth with centre roller and the NS Verbidend (we jump in the happy mouth and complete and generally school in the pinchless, verbidend is for the reminder schooling sessions....) He's had the pinchless since he was a 3 yr old and has always worked the best in this.

kal40

Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks. I checked and bless him he has a really fleshy tongue so looks like that could be the problem.

I rang Neue Schuele advice line yesterday and they suggested the Team up with a snaffle ring. Its salox and it has a lozenge. I'm off on holiday tomorrow so we will try it when I get back.