Yet another feeding thread!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I've been happy on Key Flow Pink Mash but I want Dolly to have a bit more oomph for sustained efforts XC. And better recovery from hard work. So I'm thinking of more protein etc. Does anyone know if KeyFlow's Maestro Competition mix is any good?

And also which balancer to add in. I've just finished a bag of Progressive Earth pro hoof because I got that for Toby as he transitioned out of shoes. But both have good feet now and I could change? For a balancer more focused on repair, recovery etc.

Thoughts welcome x

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks for reply. Ut certinaly looks as though it is designed to do exactly what I want it to do - but the high oil content worries me a bit. It says it 'eliminates need to add liquid oil' as when fed as max amounts it provides the equivalent of 550mls oil per day. Which seems an awful lot! Dolly is a good doer and gets fat easily. Keeping her lean is a challenge! I do add liquid oil to feed sometimes but never to hers. I guess I could add small amounts to her feed daily then feed a bit extra the night before and the day of and ODE?

That's another question actually - as a human athlete I varied my diet when competing. I carbo loaded the few days before and ate protein rich meals after to rebuild muscle. But I am always told consistency is important for horses. So does it not benefit them to be the equivalent of carb loaded before competing? Apart from extra electroytes, I feed the same on comp days.

TGM

Visit site
If Dolly is a good doer then the Maestro is high calorie at 12.5 MJDE/kg and if fed at recommended amounts is pretty likely to put weight on her.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I guess that's the problem with fat ponies trying to be eventers!! Any other suggestions? From a weight management POV, adding something extra in just before a comp seems a good idea, as long as that is safe to do?

Is that the same for the endurance mix

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm not sure that they can use and store carbs in the way that we can as far as the carb loading goes. Also, I'm not totally convinced its necessary, I ran a marathon without really looking much at my diet at all, I could put a pretty decent time in at a 5 or 10k without adjusting my diet, for elite athletes at top levels I absolutely think diet adjustments would be essential, in the same way as I might look in to it a bit more for a horse going 3* or higher, but in my opinion there is so much info available its easy to get a bit bogged down with it all.
As for balancers and oomph for good doers I use baileys performance balancer - number 19. We were on the lo cal one (14) but swapped for a bit more zing and its done the job along with alfa oil

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ok so a plan of sticking with Pink Mash and adding in a performance balancer to replace the Pro Hoof one is sound? Simple enough! Along with salt and electrolyes?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I'm not keen on high energy mixes or the like as they usually have about 15 ingredients in them.. I would chuck a hand full of rolled oats in there (not the whole ones as they will be too slow release to be helpful due to the casing is my understanding)

TGM

Visit site
I guess that's the problem with fat ponies trying to be eventers!! Any other suggestions? From a weight management POV, adding something extra in just before a comp seems a good idea, as long as that is safe to do?

Is that the same for the endurance mix

Bailey's Endurance Mix is even higher in calories than the Maestro - it has 13 MJDE/kg. I do think the easiest way with good doers is to feed a balancer and add other unsupplemented feeds alongside according to workload.

Ours event on Spillers Lite & Lean Balancer with Speedibeet, one only at BE90 but the other up to 2* (he does have it with alfalfa pellets and linseed to up the calories). If you want to add some oats then I'd give a small amount everyday and a few more before a competition. Rather than only giving them on competition day which might cause digestive problems.

I've got to say I'm not entirely convinced with some of the claims made for some of the fancy competition feeds!

chaps89

Visit site
I feed a basic chaff/speedi beet feed on a day to day basis, but chuck in a handful of either Saracens releve or endurance mix on hard work days and it works for us. It's not loads so I don't worry about weight gain or tummy upset but it's enough to pep her up to allow her to do the work asked for her. I definitley wouldn't keep her on it full time though, she definitley doesn't need the extra calories!
I tried oats originally but they had 0 effect. So it might be a bit of trial and error to find what works for yours - can you said friends/fellow livery feed rooms for a couple of scoops of feed to try before going out and buying full sacks? If you want to try Saracens endurance mix I don't mind posting you some up if you PM me your details.

windand rain

Visit site
I dont think carb loading is a good idea to be honest I was always taught and followed the up the exercise before increasing food so in those terms its not a good idea to load a horse with anything. If you think she needs more oomph a handful of rolled oats might help but on the other hand in a good doer it might just have the opposite effect and make her fatter and slower. If she is a lean good weight, fit and pain free she is probably at her optimum health for her ability to sustain work. You maybe could use a low calorie balancer designed to balance her specific diet but a broad based one may add stuff you neither want nor need

ihatework

Visit site
If she has sufficient weight and energy then there is absolutely no need to be looking at the competition mixes for a native type. Stick to a balancer and some electrolytes. If she really does not have enough oomph then a small amount of oats too.

Seriously, the good doer eventers run at novice/intermediate off just grass/hay and balancer

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks Chaps89 that is very kind of you. I think I will steer clear of the mixes and just go for a balancer to promote recovery.

She did start running out of oomph at some ODEs last year but she is fitter and stronger this year so maybe I do not need to give her much more. I just want to make sure she gets what she needs.

Scarlett

Visit site
I've used Keyflow Maestro on and off for years to give a bit more oomph to horses, and I really rate it. Its palatable and processed in the same way as the other Key flow feeds which makes it more digestible. I've never had a horse get too 'much on it, either. Have also used it on horses with ukcer/hind gut issues and it hasn't caused a reaction like some feeds (Topspec, I'm looking at you!)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If she has sufficient weight and energy then there is absolutely no need to be looking at the competition mixes for a native type. Stick to a balancer and some electrolytes. If she really does not have enough oomph then a small amount of oats too.

Seriously, the good doer eventers run at novice/intermediate off just grass/hay and balancer

The horse in my avatar was competing off grass only, as was my other Novice horse and all my others that competed at the lower levels. I have always found that it's fitness that gives the oomph.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ok so a plan of sticking with Pink Mash and adding in a performance balancer to replace the Pro Hoof one is sound? Simple enough! Along with salt and electrolyes?

Ok so the performance balancer was a bad idea :oops::oops::oops:

She went loopy overnight. FAR too much energy. So much for 'non heating'! It was quite fun to ride a turbo charged Dolly but not much use if you need to get her to concentrate. I tried for 4 days - ib case it was spring grass fever not balancer - just using small amounts but it was ridiculous. I could barely lead her out - she was dancing around, jogging along to get to the field. Luckily she was back to her normal self within 24 hours of stopping it.

I've ordered some more Progressive Earth. She can just have the vits and mins, salt and electrolytes and assume she is getting enough energy for perrmance and recovery from the mash alone.