Yet another rainscald thread

Pipkin

Visit site
I wouldn't normally post threads when there are already loads but I've been through every rain scald thread I can find and no help

One of the yearlings has it and has had it since that one hot week we had in July.

I've exhausted every option except clipping, have been told not to clip but as far as I can see it is my only option.

Vet prescribed Antibiotics, didnt work.
I've bought every lotion and potion that has been suggested.

People say pick scabs, others say don't. Some say rug, some say don't.

One vet said use fly spray (in winter hmmmm) dermatologist gave me botanica wash and antibiotics which did help but she is still scabby just less bald.

I'm at a loss at what to do now. Any suggestions.:)

PandorasJar

Visit site
You've probably tried, but pink lotion from the vets.

Best thing I've ever used. Don't over do it though. Cleared up last lot of mud fever (on horse who never shifted it) in field in three days.

Rainscald I put on once and then leave to clear up if needed.

Allie5

Visit site
Are u absolutely sure its rain scald? There are lots of skin conditions horses can pick up so I would be looking for further vet investigations. My rising three year old has just been diagnosed with Leucocytoclastic vasculitis which I had been mistaking for mud fever for months!

Arizahn

Visit site
Vitamin A sorted my previous mare out in under three months. She had come to us with rain scald right along her back, it had been an issue for nearly two years apparently :( Vitamin A was suggested by someone on the yard.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Having the same issue pony has had it on and off since June/ July! He's now fully clipped, and after picking all the scabs off and literally covering in udder cream all over. Hasn't come back since.

Get some virkon and disinfect everything that has touched him, clean rugs (I even virkoned my rugs then sent to cleaners) and clean hands after touching him.

L&M

Visit site
We had to clip ours - only real way of getting to the scabs properly and let the skin breathe, but don't envy you trying to do it on a yearling!

Hope you get it sorted

Pipkin

Visit site
We had to clip ours - only real way of getting to the scabs properly and let the skin breathe, but don't envy you trying to do it on a yearling!

Hope you get it sorted

I have sedalin for clipping the CB so if I do go down the clipping route I'll give her a tiny bit just to take the edge off.
Vet is a dermatologist and has said is def rain scald. I'll have him take a skin sample though to be sure.
Its nowhere near as bad as it was, scabs were weeping a few months ago but it's just flakey now with a few scabs.
It's such a pain!