Yet another Sarcoid post! - Sorry

rocketdog69

Visit site
A couple of months ago I discovered that my 2 year old had a small sarcoid between his butt cheeks. It grew to smartie size and has not changed for a month or so now.

He's been away for a month being prepared for a couple of shows. On his return, I checked him over thoroughly and to my horror he has four tiny sarcoids on his sheath and near to his sheath.

Having read other posts on the subject I can see that the Vet/Liverpool cream option is the course I need to take first.

My horse isnt insured so I was wondering if anyone could give me a fair idea of how much it might cost presuming all goes well with one treatment.

I also read on another sarcoid post that they can be brought on by stress, is this true. I'm just asking this question as for the first week he was away he was a nightmare resulting in him trying to get out over his stable door which eventually collapsed.

Thanks guys!

samstar

Visit site
when we eventually get our boys 2 done it will cost around the £400-£500, as vet will need to come out each time to apply the cream. His have dried up since it burst 2 months back so we are just keeping an eye on it for now.

LCobby

Visit site
Firslty, get them checked out to make sure they are sarcoids and not just juvenille warts.
Then consider options for treatment. Diode laser is less irritating and may be worth consdiering instead of the chemical burn of Liverpool cream, esp on suhc a sensitive area.
Cost of a treatment is very similar.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
As LCobby says, as your ned is just a baby, they could easily be juvenile warts rather than a sarcoid. Babies get these warts - sometimes hundreds of them - because their immune system is still developing. Have a look at Prof Knottenbelt's definitive guide to sarcoids - can't remember link but if you Google it you'll find it. He advises on treatment options too. If they are warts rather than sarcoids, they should spontaneously resolve over the next 12 months. If in doubt, vet!!!

hairycob

Visit site
Vet advice is definitely the way to go. Hopefully it is just warts, but different types of sarcoids in different places may need different treatments & the willy area may just be too sensitive for topical liverpool cream treatment. My mare did have the cream injected into 2 sarcoids between her but cheeks that were also banded & they have cleared up nicely. (Wish I could say the same about the one on her back
frown.gif
)

mtj

Visit site
one of mine had sarcoids in the sheath area tht became nasty. the vet was not willing to consider topical treatment in this area.

they were removed by cryrosurgery 2 years ago and have not yet reappeared (fingers crossed). he has also had one removed from his chest using the liverpool cream before I bought him 7 years ago

i have read that stress is a factor

having had a warty arab when she was young, i really would agree with the others who have recommended a vet examination.

hairycob

Visit site
Interesting about the stress. My mare has dozens of sarcoids - I've given up counting them! She is a real worrier & drops weight at any change in her herd or routine (though, funnily, she is a very sane hack) so maybe part of it is down to personality.

hairycob

Visit site
According to Prof Knottenbelt Tea Tree oil can make sarcoids worse, as can Aloe Vera. The worst thing is you don't know if it's a sarcoid that will react badly to these things until you have tried & it's too late.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
The reason NOT to use tea tree oil etc is because it is supposed to aid skin cell renewal. That's great if your ned has a scratch or scrape or sunburn, but it's NOT great if you are dealing with a cancer. Very simply, cancers are where the cell renewal mechanism has got out of control. The last thing on this planet that you want to do is encourage a cancer to grow. With any (repeat, ANY) over the counter product that you intend to apply to a sarcoid, read the ingredients and advertised benefits first.

hairycob

Visit site
It's frustrating isn't it when people think about a product "it's natural it must be harmless" without thinking about how it works. I want to scream NOOOOO at the computer every time I see a post recommending tea tree or aloe vera for sarcoids. I have even amended my fly spray recipe & taken out tea tree because my mare has so many (over 30
frown.gif
) sarcoids. Maybe if I'd known this earlier she would have less as she is obviously pre-disposed.

rocketdog69

Visit site
Thankyou everyone for your advice. I will keep an eye out on things for a while.

Got the vet coming end of June to do jabs so will get them looked at then!