Yet another 'what stallion for my mare?' post .....

lme

Visit site
Apologies if this is a bit of an essay but ......

I've owned my old mare (now 32) since she was 4. She is 15:2, Irish x TB (her sire was Legal Tender, an HIS stallion that John Rawding stood at stud). She has a bit of a sense of humour but was a successful show hunter and bred a foal (to Sykes a 15.2 TB stallion) as a 5yo who ended up 16.3 and did very well at dressage.

When she was 20, we took her back to John Rawding and he recommended we put her in foal to his 16.2 Dallas stallion, Cameo's Reflection. The result was my diva of a chestnut mare who is 11 this year. She's only small (15.2 or 15.3) but sharp, clever, athletic & tough. She wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea as she is quirky, opinionated and expects her rider to be on the ball, but she suits us and is equally happy doing SJ, XC, dressage or mucking around bareback with my kids.

I have always been going to breed from her at some point, because I want to continue my old girls line. This year or next seems sensible as it will give my daughter, who is getting more serious about jumping, something to take over when our mare starts to want an easier life. If I do go ahead, I won't be breeding to sell just something for my daughter to jump.

Ideally I'd like to add height / substance (daughter is tall) and would hope to end up with something that moves well & is talented enough to jump at a good level, without losing my mare's cleverness / toughness. Colour isn't important (though if I could 'order' a foal, a chestnut filly would be perfect). A nice nature would be massive plus as our horses are family members, though sharp to ride is fine. I've been thinking about maybe finding a suitable Selle Francais stallion (don't really have a clue about WBs though Numero Uno has been suggested to me) but would welcome ideas.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Without seeing pictures of your mare it's hard to say but I'd look at the Brendon Stud boys, they are really delivering the goods.
Also look at the TBs, Kings Composer and One More Tiger who both have fantastic temperaments that they pass on as well as the ability too.
There are also the Harthill stallions; my favourite is Ramiro B; his stock are flying and he has a great temperament too.

You'll get lots of suggestions!

TheMule

Visit site
There are a huge range to choose from, I'd have a serious think about what level you'll realistically want it to jump to as that will ultimately determine the- plenty of nice stallions sround which give more than enough jump to make a fox/1.30 horse but if you want more serious then you'll need to spend more and temperament may have to be compromised. I wouldnt recommend Numero Uno, the ones I've ridden have been proper pros rides, very sensitive and sharp.

lme

Visit site
8714104388_b6215e9ebc.jpg

8712981931_4bd0735c8e.jpg

That's her, Budget for the stud fee is not to much of an issue as its not for profit. Something that could jump a course of 1.30s would be fine :)

Last edited:

Oscar

Visit site
Franklyn sugar has dual purpose lines, is tall and black with great bloodlines, so very commercial should you ever need to sell.

Also Legrande is a lovely lad, with a fab temperament, jumping lines but moves well enough for dressage.

eventrider23

Visit site
El Thuder for me on her - he gives trainable kind babies and all seem to jump so far. My guys I have had by him have been everything I could have asked for and more. I have used him ever since he was a 3 yr old and will no doubt use him again. When I used him he was owned by the guys at Brendon Stud but he was sold ast year and so is now at Bellegrace Stud still in West Sussex.

Otherwise I second the recommendation of Ramiro B - gosh this horse just fills up the eye and belies his years when you see him at stallion shows. He has some very impressive progeny out there in all sphere with some jumping GP and one, Noble Bestman, at Badminton this weekend. Of all the Harthill Stud boys he is definitely my favourite. IF a chestnut is what you are after though, Harthill Stud also have the chestnut stallion Lord Luis who is jumping incredibly well at the moment and is a real sweetheart. As a chestnut himself, with your mare you SHOULD get a chestnut or at least increase the chances.

Lgd

Visit site
Have a look at Oliver - KWPN approved stallion by Voltaire.

I've not used him but have seen him in the flesh (I used Mooiman, their dressage stallion).
His stock really move well and a friend had a lovely 2yo by him (she sadly lost him last year in a field accident :-( )

http://www.holdenfolddressage.co.uk/oliver.html

lme

Visit site
Thanks all. I now need to go off & look at the stallions that have been recommended.

At the moment, I'm just getting my head around the idea of breeding but assume I'll have to move fairly fast if I want to do something this year. I don't want to limit myself by budget. I'm only planning to do this once and, from what I understand, the stud fee will only be a fraction of the cost of getting a foal to age 4 so I might as well go for something really nice & with a serious jump. However, I do take the point about there being a possible tradeoff between temperament & scope if we wanted to try & breed a foal that might have the potential to go beyond 130s.

One thing I am a bit concerned about (maybe needlessly) is ending up with a foal that is too much of a mixture. My mare is basically TB / SF / ID and most of the of the stallions suggested are graded with WB studbooks. Would that make the outcome less predictable than going for say a SF, or do I need to look at family trees, rather than which studbook a horse is graded with?

lme

Visit site
A SF is a warmblood, just on that has been born and registered in France :)

Thanks - I was thinking that had to be the case when I saw Oldenburgs with what looked like a SF grandparent. Why does it all have to be so confusing. :D

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Our stallion is SF x Irish lines, by Luidam (Guidam/Quidam de Revel) out of a Cruising mare. Jumped to Grand Prix level in France, won the 4,5,6 & 7yr olds. HUGE scopey jump, quite sharp and sensitive to ride but super talented and never nasty or naughty. Fantastic manners on the yard, at shows etc. He's 16hh but theres a lot of him and has a massive stride. He is grey but his sire is chestnut so could well throw a chestnut ;) Message if you're interested :)

JandP

Visit site
Most warmblood studbooks will accept other warmbloods in for registration, providing the stallion who sired them is approved by the studbook you are registering with.

In theory, studbooks will only approve stallions who bring the qualities of their particular breed, thereby retaining the qualities of a particular studbook.

So - looking at the studbook a horse is registered with is not necessarily a indicator of the qualities they will bring (with warmbloods) - you need to look right back through the pedigree.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I think the most help fopr you, would rather than people throw names of stallions at you, that someone gave you a critique of whereyour mare is weaker and stronger conformatinally, and then gave you some ideas of stallions that could help improve he rin those areas, baring in mind what you are looking to improve in terms of temperament and your end goals for competition.

Some of the stallions suggested would work quite well on her, and some are slightly odd suggestions given the photos you have put up of her.

paradisewalk

Visit site
i have a superb gelding by 'Rufforth Lowe' who is a 16.2 danish warmblood stallion. My gelding was out of a show hack and has incredible paces along with a big jump (although i use him for dressage).
picture.php
[/IMG]
(Rufforth Lowe)

picture.php
[/IMG]
(William, my gelding)

lme

Visit site
I feel I must know you I worked at Pages farm for many years and bred several Skyes foal myself, I'm Rita small redhead with glasses, what was your mares name please?

My mare is called Cherokee. She is a small hunter type, Chestnut with a star & a stripe, & about 15.2. At the time, she was at livery with Anna Robins (Nicol Farm). Anna recommended Sykes to me and (although he wasn't at all what I'd planned - I'd been expecting something & a finely built 15.2ish but ended up with a powerfully built 16.3) I could not have been happier with the resulting colt foal.

lme

Visit site
i have a superb gelding by 'Rufforth Lowe' who is a 16.2 danish warmblood stallion. My gelding was out of a show hack and has incredible paces along with a big jump (although i use him for dressage).
picture.php
[/IMG]
(Rufforth Lowe)

picture.php
[/IMG]
(William, my gelding)

Gosh he looks very like my mare's sire.

upsallstud

New User
Visit site
Hi,

We stand a couple of sf stallions.....I feel it would be best for you to have a look at a few stallions on the web and there are certainly enough studs around for you to go and view some short listed ones.....It may also be worth thinking of the points on your mare you may like to improve and work from there.
Hope this may help you

Amy :)