Yet more problems...should I request a referral?

Stasha22

Visit site
Lottie came home from a 2 week stay at the vets yesterday. They do not know for sure what is wrong with her, but think it may have been laminitis.

Was advised to carry on with normal routing, ie out during the day, in at night. Brought her in tonight and she is hopping lame on right fore. Foot is boiling. No heat in any other feet. Called vet who said to bute her up and she will see her in the morning. (Don't understand the logic behind this - surely she needs to see how lame she is rather than masking it with bute?!)

To be honest I have reached the end of my tether. My horse is hopping lame, we do not know what is wrong with her despite a 2 week hospital stay and I don't see what more my vet can do. I want her to be referred to the RVC and am going to ask for this when the vet comes tomorrow.

Do you think I am right to want a referral?

Shantor1

Visit site
Sorry to hear you and your mare are going through such a crap time. Most definitely you're in the right to ask for a referral. I assume your vets have checked for a deep seated solar abscess or a fractured pedal bone? Have they x rayed her? I do wonder how competent some vets are these days.

I hope they get on top of it soon. Sending you positive vibes. Keep her progress posted.

Eaglestone

Visit site
When I saw this new post I though 'Oh no' and my heart sank and I know from your previous posts what you have been through .... I don't think there is any doubt that you need a referral ...... you must be at your wits end
frown.gif

Stasha22

Visit site
Hi Eaglestone

To be honest I just cannot believe this is happening. I am furious with my vets. I wanted Lottie looked at tonight but they said it was not necessary so she is having to endure another night of discomfort. I cannot believe that she has been at the clinic for 2 weeks for nothing - we are back at square 1 with no idea as to what is wrong with her or what treatment she needs.

Feel like screaming!

Orangehorse

Visit site
If she has an abscess Bute is not a good idea, as it is anti-inflammatry and can stop an abscess from "popping" and the horse ends up with an on-off lameness that doesn't resolve easily.

Which is what happened to my horse 2 years ago and everyone said - don't give Bute to a horse with an abscess.

Still, you don't know what is wrong with your horse, nor does your vet, so why tell you that???????

If you have lost confidence in your vet, it is time for a referral.

Happytohack

Visit site
From this post, my first thought would be a deep seated abscess, especially as all the tests for lamintis including xrays were clear. Is there a digital pulse to this foot? I can't believe that your vet would not come out to see an acutely lame horse - that is unprofessional and possibly negligent.
Today I lost my dear pony after 5 months of laminitis, my vet has been wonderful throughout as has my farrier and despite everyone's best efforts, my little chap had to be PTS this morning. Please get another opinion and get your farrier to look at Lottie asap

_jetset_

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this... do you have another equine veterinary practice in the area or is this the only one? I would certainly be getting a second opinion, the problem with getting a referral is it has to be done by your vet and from what you have said you are losing confidence in them
frown.gif

Stasha22

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

No improvement today. Still lame on the right fore with heat and digital pulse. Vet has decided to admit her again so she is now back at the clinic. Can't really understand why she was discharged in the first place. She was home for 1 day and now we are back where we started!

The vets are going to call Liphook and Willesley tomorrow to get her referred and an MRI scan. She will go to whoever can take her the quickest. RVC is my local hospital but as they don't have an MRI scan she can't go to them.

Just hope that my insurance will cover the scan as when she had one a few years ago it was over a thousand pounds.

The nightmare just doesn't seem to be ending!