YO double renting stable

Squidge90

Visit site
Has anyone had this?

Without my knowledge or say so my YO has been using my stable (I have one horse on full livery) for a friend of hers to keep her horse in overnight before day turnout for the last fortnight at least (mine has been turned out over night and in during the day although this will be changing soon) no shavings have been topped up.

Would you expect this from your YO?

Mrs B

Visit site
Has anyone had this?

Without my knowledge or say so my YO has been using my stable (I have one horse on full livery) for a friend of hers to keep her horse in overnight before day turnout for the last fortnight at least (mine has been turned out over night and in during the day although this will be changing soon) no shavings have been topped up.

In a word, no.

Dollbird

Visit site
I would not be happy. I have seen this happen, and naively put my foot in it. Yard owner would put a school horse in my friends stable during the day. Friend wondered why she was getting through so many shavings....

Squidge90

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I only have 2 weeks left at the yard (only moving due to relocation) and feel it’s not worth the hassle of potentially falling out with the YO now but needless to say I’m not happy. She asked me a few months previously if I would mind sharing a stable and I said no, so to go ahead and do it anyway is dreadful.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Your horse is in full livery and he is being looked after exactly as you pay for. As long as the bed is still clean to the same standard, I don't see the issue.

In addition, you're leaving and she needs to manage a replacement without losing money. For a couple of weeks before you disappear for good out of the area, I wouldn't necessarily expect her to ask you in case you made an unreasonable fuss about it, given that you refused before.

Last edited:

Trouper

Visit site
Has anyone had this?

Outrageous for all the reasons others have mentioned. If the YO had had the courtesy to explain why it was necessary and compensated you accordingly it might have been different. I would be glad to be leaving.

Squidge90

Visit site
Your horse is in full livery and he is being looked after exactly as you pay for. As long as the bed is still clean to the same standard, I don't see the issue.

In addition, you're leaving and she needs to manage a replacement without losing money. For a couple of weeks before you disappear for good out of the area, I wouldn't necessarily expect her to ask you in case you made an unreasonable fuss about it, given that you refused before.

What about if I wanted to begin having my horse brought in overnight now? Should my horse have to stay out over night or should hers?

ycbm

Visit site
What about if I wanted to begin having my horse brought in overnight now? Should my horse have to stay out over night or should hers?

Your horse should be managed as you wish, but you have days to go before you leave the area for good and she has a business to run, so I wouldn't necessarily expect you to get what you want when only days are involved. In her shoes, I would in any case advise you that it would be detrimental to the horse to have his routine disrupted only days before he is moved completely.

Equi

Visit site
Your horse should be managed as you wish, but you have days to go before you leave the area for good and she has a business to run, so I wouldn't necessarily expect you to get what you want when only days are involved. In her shoes, I would in any case advise you that it would be detrimental to the horse to have his routine disrupted only days before he is moved completely.

To dispute that though, if the routine at the new yard is in at night it may be better for the horse to already be used to it. I was due to move and it was around this time..so horses could either stay out a week and my horse would come to new yard and also new routine in one day...or they came in at old yard and my horse would be already used to coming in at night...so i asked they come in. When we moved he was already on the routine of coming in at night and settled immediately and i honestly think he would have protested if he had of came to in at night just off the field.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO, just the one DIY livery, but this is something I would never do!! Nor would I expect any stable I rented on a yard to do this!

The first and foremost thing that would worry me would be bio-security; and for that reason alone I would never (as a livery) accept a situation where I was having to share a stable, OR as a YO ever instigate - or authorise - that sort of set-up.

Never in a million years!

ycbm

Visit site
What is the problem with biosecurity? Unless in quarantine, the horses on a yard will normally have some level of contact with each other. My nearest vet hospital doesn't change bed between patients. My horses all live together.

ycbm

Visit site
To dispute that though, if the routine at the new yard is in at night it may be better for the horse to already be used to it. I was due to move and it was around this time..so horses could either stay out a week and my horse would come to new yard and also new routine in one day...or they came in at old yard and my horse would be already used to coming in at night...so i asked they come in. When we moved he was already on the routine of coming in at night and settled immediately and i honestly think he would have protested if he had of came to in at night just off the field.

I would agree with this if it was done a month before, not in the last few days.

Equi

Visit site
I would agree with this if it was done a month before, not in the last few days.

Depends on the horse though. I know my horse and i know it takes him literally one week to "change" so when i was told i could have a week before moving i was ecsatic lol his move went 100% perfectly and no issues...where as i know he was a bit of a nightmare for the old yard for about 5 days. Thats just him though, and it won't matter much to other peoples horses cause they wil be different.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m taken aback by some of the responses on here. If you want your horse in overnight, then he’s in overnight and tough shit on her mate. You’re paying, therefore the stable is yours to do with as you please. I’d be a right passive aggressive cow and would turn up let to put my horse in overnight. Then I’d knock on her door and demand that the random horse in my box be moved.

claret09

Visit site
i think i would definitely make a point of wanting my horse in if you were planning to stay. however, as you are moving - is it really worth causing a fuss? it's a pain and i would be really annoyed but for the sake of a couple of week i don't think i would want to rock the boat. i really hope you manage to sort it and then move happily to your new yard. good luck - i hope it works out in your new area

ycbm

Visit site
She's on full livery CT, she doesn't manage the horse, the YO does.

S90, when do you ride? Is it a predictable day/time?. My answer was based on you not needing to bring the horse in to ride during the day, because in your first post that's how it sounds, that you found out purely by accident. I think this issue depends very much on how many days you have left and how likely it was that this situation would ever inconvenience you during those last days.

honetpot

Visit site

I can see how you can sell thing twice. If the contract includes a stable I would expect a stable to be free for my use at anytime.
Everyone gets as mad a fire about strangles but simple biosecurity means you should not be doubling up on stabling where the air quality is poorer.
I have never ever been on a yard where someone else’s stable has been used. I once had five at livery and paid for one stable, I wouldn’t even dream of tying up outside someone’s box, never mind put a horse in it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I would absolutely not expect a YO to use my stable for another horse whilst I was paying for it. I would want my stable to be available for my use at any time for example if he became ill or injured or the weather turned suddenly. I also would not want my horse to be in a bed used by an unknown horse that may be carrying a disease.

In this case due to the short term nature I’d probably suck it up but I don’t think it puts this YO in a good light.

asmp

Visit site
Happened when I moved to a big yard. Although my horse was living out at the time I realised that the hay I’d put in the haybar for when my horse came in to be groomed, was disappearing. I only stayed there for a couple of months as there were too many things I didn’t like.

ycbm

Visit site
So if she says she wants the horse in overnight from now on, she has the right to have this happen and the YO must manage this.

Of course, she's paying for a service.

The other horse would probably be changed to out at night for the few remaining days.

ycbm

Visit site
I can see how you can sell thing twice..

She's not, is she? The OP is paying for a full livery service, which she is receiving. She is not paying rent for a stable. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed about the service she pays for.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like this myself, but I honestly think it's a fuss about nothing for the last few days before someone leaves the yard permanently.

be positive

Visit site
As a YO I have at times used my boxes for more than one horse, a DIY box would not be used for any other horse but a full or part livery box where I am providing the bedding, hay, doing all the mucking out may be used when the livery horse is out and I would think nothing of it and would not expect my liveries to consider it an issue as long as it was not preventing their horse having access if required or meaning an unexpected change to their own routine.

I would not have 2 liveries actually sharing a box because I would be concerned about having to keep in for very bad weather, an injury or the night/ morning of a competition being tricky but if one was leaving and the replacement was stuck with nowhere to go for a few weeks I would try my best to accommodate them and have helped people out when they have been really stuck by squeezing in an extra from time to time, which could mean moving a horse to a different box , an owner has never really even commented if they find their horse moved for some reason.

I do not think a full livery is renting a box as such they are paying for a service that includes the horse being stabled, having turn out, the use of an arena, me providing bedding, hay, feed and taking full care of the horse so the owner has no need to attend to it. I have never charged for bedding on top so that would be of no concern to any of my owners, my stables are in a fairly open barn with contact to each other, horses get turned out together so sharing a box or having a horse popped in while waiting for a vet, farrier or in an emergency situation would make no difference to disease control, if a horse obviously had an infectious disease it would be isolated as would any that came in from a dubious yard.