Yorkshire Dumpling did you buy anything?results from YorkYork

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I am not sure, but it seems there is a strong market for quality. The good quality ones seem to have sold well. i was surprised the IDxISH Rose did not sell. That sounds a nice horse but maybe she was not all she sounded or that she had too high a reserve.

I always find it an awful shame about the Welshies that go through and are either unsold or sold for very little. There were some cob foals as well that went through cheap.

FDC

Chestnutmare

Visit site
16 - one of the ones I liked didn't sell....awww :(

17 - did sell 520gns....

how much is 520 gns to a pound?

What happens to those that don't sell? Can you ever approach the vendor after the sales to offer what would appear sale money?....

Or would it be that they didn't make their reserve?

Only been to a new forest sales once and was too upset watching the 'meanie man' take the oldies and some youngsters :(

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
You can sell after, or you can approach vendors. My YO took two lovely lads to the auction and they did not sell (1 Welshie and 1 cob x) and she was offered money afterwards but did not sell. The people who offer might be the meat men? I don't know, it breaks my heart when we go to Clitheroe I have to sit on my hands. I really love the Welshies, and they never seem to make any money.

FDC

Dexter

Visit site
A guinea is £1.05

And yes, lots of people buy privately before and after the auction, although technically its not allowed unless you declare it...

Prices were better than I expected for this time of year after the horrendous weather we've had and all the hay shortages etc. I was expecting thing to be going through for pennies. The ex racers went cheap, but not really any cheaper than normal. Saying that, I wasnt actually there, so who knows what sort of quality they were.

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
I feel sorry for the poor lil welshies to, but did anybody go as im also interested to hear what the horse called Rose was like as she sounded nice :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
thanks Dexter my god cheap....

they don't come with tack or anything do they?....what about the headcollars they wear?

such a shame I don't have any spare cash and didn't go....maybe I might pop along to another sale at some point in the year...

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
I was really surprised she did not sell. Obviously there aren't piccys so could be a confo. fault or maybe other issue or maybe they wanted more than people were willing to pay.

FDC

Same, i thought she would sell quite well and yeh i expect it was bad conformation or not high enough for the seller to. Shame there aren't pics to go along with the catalogue lol

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
thanks Dexter my god cheap....

they don't come with tack or anything do they?....what about the headcollars they wear?

such a shame I don't have any spare cash and didn't go....maybe I might pop along to another sale at some point in the year...

some do and some dont, when I got Bob they took everything - had to buy headcollar and leadrope there.

Dexter

Visit site
My impulse purchase, bargain spotty pony cob (150 guineas!!) came with a headcollar and haynet full of hay. I think because he was from a private home and the seller was a young girl who cried the entire time she was in the ring :( she dropped him back in the pen and left without getting his 'stuff'. I'm still gutted that I was such a ding and was too shell shocked to go and find her before she left to tell her he had a good home :(

It took me about 15 minutes to realise what I'd done and to stop feeling faint :D But I wish I'd got myself together a bit sooner to tell her he would be fine :( If anyone knows a young girl from Leeds, who sold a 2 yr old spotty pony cob in September then please let her know hes a much loved pony now. The only person in his passport is his breeder and I havent been able to track her down :(

dominica

Visit site
what happens when one goes to one of these sales just to have a nosey, but ends up bidding/buying a pony/horse you had no intention of buying and then need to transport gee gee back home? do the sellers wait for you to go and get your trailer/box? are you given a certain time to get back to the auction with your trailer/box?

Always wondered this.... in case this ever happens to me!!!?? :-/

Dexter

Visit site
In my case I got the auctioneer to put a call out for transport, then I trawled the lorry park avec 6yr old girl (going for the cute factor, ie, please help me get my new pony home :D) asking where they were going and did they have room for a little one. When that didnt work, I started looking for lorries with phone numbers on the side and called them all. None of the people I called could do it, but one of them put me in touch with someone else, who brought Dots back from York to the other side of Middlesbrough for 30quid!

Worse case scenario I'd have paid the few quid it would have cost to keeo him there over night and got a friend to pick him up the next day, it would have cost me way more than 30quid in diesel though so result all round :D

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
You are brave Dexter, buying without transport! Shame the girl left before you could tell her he has a nice new home. Good idea to ring the numbers on the side I would never have thought of that.

Nice to hear a happy story about buying at auction.
FDC

sami4971

Visit site
You are brave Dexter, buying without transport! Shame the girl left before you could tell her he has a nice new home. Good idea to ring the numbers on the side I would never have thought of that.

Nice to hear a happy story about buying at auction.
FDC

LOL, we have bought 8 at York and Holmfirth without transport, on one occasion we drove the 20+ miles home and collected our own box, one we hired a local transporter but the others were all travelled following calls for transport made by the auctioneer. We have met some lovely people who have been very reasonable with their charges but not sure how legal they were to carry other horses for payment (nor did we ask). You can leave horses there overnight but it is unmanned other than security for the lorry park and it is scary in the dark!! Oh those were the days, when we had enough land to just 'bring another one home' and it not make a difference to us.

FairyLights

Visit site
Thats how I bought my place F duC, went to see what price land was fetching and started bidding. bought 5 acres unseen :-0 went home and told OH who was very good about it all. i didnt sleep that night. fortunately it was a lovely field ragwort and rubbish free :)

JCWHITE

Visit site
No one has mentioned the TBs and the "prices" they fetched.
Did anyone actually GO to the SALE, and all I can do is HOPE these horses didnt end up in wrong hands or worse...Look again at the prices,
JC

Bertthefrog

Visit site
There were some very good lots this time - I do think some vendors hold out for too much though - a couple made over 1500 guineas in the ring and I thought that was a fair price.

Out of ring sales are unlikely to be meatman - tend do be cases where there was only one bidder and hence reserve wasn't met. What bidders don't realise is that they can see the auctioneer and bid the reserve price in this case!

The TB's from Northgate were good sorts - particularly the two colts - went for nothing - but not to meatman I don't think.

Had to laugh - first lot in the ring, a fab little welsh colt - raised a bid from somewhere around where I was sitting - the auctioneer was about to close - pointing in my direction - and everyone was looking at everyone else "Who? Me?" - no one had deliberately bid - would loved to have seen our faces! I was sat on my hands - so definitely not me!

It was a shame so many lots went unsold - when vendors choose to put forward well presented, decent types, but then that's how it is at the moment. Hopefully prices will pick up soon.

Bertthefrog

Visit site
No one has mentioned the TBs and the "prices" they fetched.
Did anyone actually GO to the SALE, and all I can do is HOPE these horses didnt end up in wrong hands or worse...Look again at the prices,
JC

The TB's put forward were good sorts - the prices were low, and I didn't see all of them go through - but of the ones that I did, I'm pretty sure they all went to private homes. They were all fit, sound and looked very well - much better than on previous occasions.

The vendors that put TB's through these sales must be fully aware of the prices anticipated - and as no reserves they must be prepared for some of them to go to the meatman.