you advertise a horse to sell then don't reply ....why?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes, but when you messaged, presumably you had decided you were in the market for a horse? The above poster has actually stated they hadn’t decided yet if they really wanted a second. This demonstrates the point to the letter!

Not really - it demonstrates that SOME people who text / email about horses are timewasters. I bet someone else on here has rung up about a horse without being sure they really want one too. It certainly doesn't, in isolation, reinforce the idea that texts are from time wasters - you'd need a bigger sample size and to compare proportions of daft texts to daft phone calls to draw any meaningful conclusions :D

(Yes, I knew what I wanted, found it, bought it promptly and for the asking price - I don't piss people around, even though I always message first - even just to ask if there's a good time to give them a call! I'd also add that due to the nature of my job, and the amount of time I spend driving, emails will definitely get an earlier response from me than a phone call.)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think that is why JFTD says for balance, ie there is probably as many of each type of person?

Also I don't think mentioned yet, if something is a crucial question that as BP says should have been in the advert, sometimes better to have the answer in writing.

ihatework

Visit site
Not really - it demonstrates that SOME people who text / email about horses are timewasters. I bet someone else on here has rung up about a horse without being sure they really want one too. It certainly doesn't, in isolation, reinforce the idea that texts are from time wasters - you'd need a bigger sample size and to compare proportions of daft texts to daft phone calls to draw any meaningful conclusions :D

(Yes, I knew what I wanted, found it, bought it promptly and for the asking price - I don't piss people around, even though I always message first - even just to ask if there's a good time to give them a call!)

And you can tell, generally, from the message who falls into which Camp!
Like I say, I have a ‘respond to one message only policy’! But then I do try and put all key info in an advert.
An ‘is the horse still available’ message gets a ‘yes, please phone to discuss’, you never get a phone call :D

Visit site
I do extensive Facebook and internet stalking on anyone who wants to buy or loan any of mine and if I don't like the look of them they won't even get to come view but I will always reply to messages even if it is - sorry horse has a home type of thing.

I can very rarely answer a phone call but I can usually answer emails/messages within in hour or so.

windand rain

Visit site
Only real reason for sending emails or messages is to find out price I cannot for the life of me understand why it isnt compulsory for the price to be put on all adverts. It weeds out the ones that are too expensive and the viewer /buyer feels are over priced. It also save the seller hundreds of how much calls. I dont understand why some people are offended by the price being the first question a potential buyer will ask if it is not on the advert as there is no point in any further communication if the item is out of the price range of the buyer

JFTDWS

Visit site
And you can tell, generally, from the message who falls into which Camp!
Like I say, I have a ‘respond to one message only policy’! But then I do try and put all key info in an advert.
An ‘is the horse still available’ message gets a ‘yes, please phone to discuss’, you never get a phone call :D

Interestingly I didn't speak on the phone to any of the sellers I bought from at all - one is partially deaf and prefers not to, the others seemed happy to discuss anything / send videos and photos on whatsapp and set up viewings that way too. They've all been young though so not many questions you can ask - is it still for sale, can you send me confo shot / video of it trotting, can I come and see it, do you want me to call beforehand or just do this via text... I'd hope those messages are hugely different from the people who want to chat about their life story / get every photo ever taken of your pony sent to them / are clearly 13 and dreaming of daddy buying them a pony!

Actually I did view another horse, I completely forgot about it. I spoke extensively to the owner on the phone, went to see it, and her "sports horse" turned out to be a cob. She probably thought I was a time waster, as I was too polite to say her 14,2 cob was never going to be the polocrosse pony I wanted :p Ironically, the only person who might think I was a hoof kicker is the only one I actually called!

ihatework

Visit site
Interestingly I didn't speak on the phone to any of the sellers I bought from at all - one is partially deaf and prefers not to, the others seemed happy to discuss anything / send videos and photos on whatsapp and set up viewings that way too. They've all been young though so not many questions you can ask - is it still for sale, can you send me confo shot / video of it trotting, can I come and see it, do you want me to call beforehand or just do this via text... I'd hope those messages are hugely different from the people who want to chat about their life story / get every photo ever taken of your pony sent to them / are clearly 13 and dreaming of daddy buying them a pony!

Actually I did view another horse, I completely forgot about it. I spoke extensively to the owner on the phone, went to see it, and her "sports horse" turned out to be a cob. She probably thought I was a time waster, as I was too polite to say her 14,2 cob was never going to be the polocrosse pony I wanted :p Ironically, the only person who might think I was a hoof kicker is the only one I actually called!

One would hope a cob could be distinguished from a sport horse by a photo? Which certainly would not be unreasonable to ask for before viewing.

The reason I want to speak to someone before allowing them to view is because I don’t want my time wasted, it takes a lot of effort to present a horse well for viewing which I would prefer not to do if I have no intention of selling the horse to them even if they want it (have learnt the hard way on that). You can ascertain quite a lot on the phone by careful questioning. I’ve told plenty of people not to travel before now

JFTDWS

Visit site
One would hope a cob could be distinguished from a sport horse by a photo? Which certainly would not be unreasonable to ask for before viewing.

The photos were from an odd angle - it looked leggy, tall and athletic in the ones she sent me (it was trotting / cantering in a dressage arena, photos were taken looking up at the horse. Looking at them, it might have been the 15,1hh sports horse she described, and told me was sharp and not a novice ride... She didn't send a decent confo photo. I'm not bothered - she was local, and it was a word of mouth affair, and it entertained me. But yes - people are odd :p

I can understand your logic entirely. I don't have an issue with wanting to speak to someone before viewing, it's the idea that all text / email initial contacts are time wasters mentality I find peculiar - I'd always message to ask when was convenient to call before ringing, at the very least. I don't want to catch someone when they're in Tesco's or at their mother's funeral* or whatever!

(*flippant and extreme, certainly, but you never really know what's going on in someone's life, right?!)

JulesRules

Visit site
In my defence I haven't decided not to buy a 2nd horse either and this one piqued my interest enough to enquire.

I guess the seller and I will never know if I would have bought it.

I've done a spreadsheet to check I can afford one and spoken to my YO to arrange livery. It's just my head that is stopping me!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I hate talking on the phone and have much preferred it when peoople have messaged me about any I am selling. Phones are intrusive. They ring at inconvenient times and if I answer I am forced into a conversation there and then rather than at my own convenience! I always message first and if necessary arrange a time to talk. And I am never a time wasting buyer. Buying horses is painful enough without doing it when I'm not really interested in buying!

stormox

Visit site
I hate talking on the phone and have much preferred it when peoople have messaged me about any I am selling. Phones are intrusive. They ring at inconvenient times and if I answer I am forced into a conversation there and then rather than at my own convenience! I always message first and if necessary arrange a time to talk. And I am never a time wasting buyer. Buying horses is painful enough without doing it when I'm not really interested in buying!

I dont find phones are intrusive. If you dont want it to ring -ie while driving or other inconvenient times, turn it off!! If I am selling something I make sure I am able to answer it, and if I cant it saves the number and I ring back asap.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

ha, me too-hate the phone and hate texting. plus I am rarely on the end of a phone so email is better all round, am sure email will soon catch on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I dont find phones are intrusive. If you dont want it to ring -ie while driving or other inconvenient times, turn it off!! If I am selling something I make sure I am able to answer it, and if I cant it saves the number and I ring back asap.

Lots of people are still working while trying to sell things... so making sure you can answer it isn't always possible. Especially with something like horse shopping where they may be quite a lot of discussion to be had.
emails/messages have the overwhelming advantage of avoiding the tag teaming of answerphone messages :D.

9tails

Visit site
If I want something, I'm far too impatient to email or text. Especially if it's to ask when is convenient to call. I'll bombard a seller with calls until they pick up. I'm the phone-shy person's nightmare.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I pretty much always have to answer my phone for work reasons. So I've often answered what I think is going to be a work related call to find it's a potential buyer when I'm in work mode or really busy. But it's all just personal preference at the end of the day.

JJS

Visit site
I'm surprised that so many people have an issue with potential buyers getting in touch via email, text, WhatsApp etc. Firstly, I think it's much more polite to send a message to begin with, so that you can enquire as to a time that suits the seller before you begin a more in-depth discussion. Secondly, does no one else like the safety net of having any important information in writing? God forbid you should buy an entirely misdescribed horse only to find yourself in a 'he said, she said' situation with no proof either way!

For the record, I was a very serious buyer with both Tudor and Mary, but began both exchanges between myself and those selling them with messages rather than phone calls. In my experience, the way someone gets in touch means absolutely nothing with regards to their seriousness or otherwise.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
so a random update on horse shopping......................so far there has been the shrinking horses, no colour or sex changes yet i have had that before! in no particular order.............we have

1. a gazumping's

2. the yes you can come tomorrow..........sorry can you make the day after that............sorry need to move it again...........and again........gave up on that one

3. the how many people i can accidentally make cry in the same family...........

4. the young sister made to get on the horse to show me and then start to cry twice as she was scared of it..............

5. another its for sale, no i sold it......they've backed out........yes it is for sale............no i'm keeping it..........no i'm selling it now...........yes you can have first refusal..........did i forgot to say someone is coming the day before........its seemed to have gained a couple of splints in the last week now are you still interested?

6. PS some of these have actually meant a round trip of 500 miles..............we didn't think you were serious about him, yes i'm going to drive there and back and kick a hoof?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the years we have sold several horses & have never responded to text messages or emails. If someone is really interested & not going to waste our time they will telephone. That is our experience & it sdeems tpo be the right way to go. From past experience text message senders are a total waste of time,

Abi90

Visit site
I have only sold one horse so my experience is limited but I sold him via email. I had several phone calls but despite arranging viewings they never showed up. The ones who did contacted me by text or email. I work underground most of the day so ringing me wouldn’t get through, also I can rarely answer my phone at work so a text/email even if asking for a good time to call would be best for me.

It’s also why I’ve bought horses that way, I’ve found I’ve rang someone, they haven’t answered and thus cue the subsequent several hours of phone tennis and missed calls as each person calls at an inconvenient time for the other

spacefaer

Visit site
I advertised a horse last summer on FB - had 600 reaction to his advert (likes, hearts etc), loads of comments on the listing and 62 pms. Not a single viewing or phone call.

Put him on HorseQuest - first phone call within an hour of the ad going live. (and the email option was enabled on the ad). The guy came to see him that afternoon, left a deposit, had him vetted and collected him four days later.

I provide decent photos (standing, moving jumping, action) and will provide a video if pushed, but at the end of the day, if you are a genuine buyer then I expect people to pick up the phone and get in the car!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Well this is a new one....tried to see a horse off one of the websites, arranged and kept having to rearrange due to the seller, then they decided not for sale...ok your horse your choice etc.....roll forward a week same horse on a face book site same price etc same reason for sale....is it possible to have horse sellers munchausem byproxy, tried to contact etc no answer loadesof it’s wonderful etc how sad your selling........

stormox

Visit site
Well this is a new one....tried to see a horse off one of the websites, arranged and kept having to rearrange due to the seller, then they decided not for sale...ok your horse your choice etc.....roll forward a week same horse on a face book site same price etc same reason for sale....is it possible to have horse sellers munchausem byproxy, tried to contact etc no answer loadesof it’s wonderful etc how sad your selling........
Are you sure it wasnt the same ad from a while ago bumped up by someone commenting?
Ive been fooled like that...

hollyandivy123

Visit site
No just checked the dates again....one closed and then opened on a new site, nearly as fun as the one horse which changes price depending on which website ......

patseyr

Visit site

With some people its difficult to know! as said, it may be a fake website looking for "click bate" which sometimes can happen. But some people are just messers and dont know what they want. I generally stay away from ads such as the one you mentioned after giving them one chance.

But it really depends on a number of factors such as distance, cost, what your looking for etc. You may get a bargain if you are able to cope with dealing with these people, you just need to know when to say enough is enough and move onto something else.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Patseyr. That’s the most frustrating thing this is the closest to me the others have been 5 hr round trips, the site isn’t a click bait it’s a closed group. Not chasing but frustratingly intrigued...........

be positive

Visit site

It could be that they get the feeling you know enough to be able to spot an issue, get the vet, ask awkward questions and that they don't want you to see the horse because there is an issue they are trying to hide or hope to cover up and not letting you go is easier than telling you what is wrong in case it gets back on facebook and destroys the illusion they have built up with their followers.

Considering how few sound, straightforward horses are out there most ads are to an extent hiding or failing to declare something and if you sound too experienced that can be why they don't want to deal with you and from your point of view it is better than a wasted journey even if it seems as if they are messing you about.

patseyr

Visit site
Yes very good point made, they may think your too experienced and may ask some hard questions/ or notice something they wouldnt want you to see. It is very frustrating when your genuinely interested. :(