You Can Get Your Confidence Back - But It Can Take Time

Chavhorse

Visit site
From one who has spent the last 18 months watching other people riding my beautiful boy as I was too scared to ride him myself. You can get your confidence back but sadly you can not rush the process! Things that have worked for me;

If you can look after your horse yourself, I moved mine from a full livery to a DIY set up 3 months ago and in that time we have grown so much closer. I am totally in charge of his care and routine and I think mentally that helped me feel a lot more confident and capable.

Find someone (friend fellow livery etc) who can ride your horse and you can watch, I have been so lucky in moving to a yard where I have numerous very capable riders who love to get on someting new, my lad has been jumping, schooling and doing lots of hacking out the more I see him working well and the more they tell me he is a super ride the more confident I have become in him.

Keep the faith....very hard to do as often you feel useless and a total idiot (especially if you have in the past been a reasonably confident and competant rider!) I just gave myself time, refused to pushed into riding if I was not ready for it and also accepted that there was actually nothing wrong at all with having a horse I just enjoyed looking after.

Be honest with yourself and others there is no shame in being scared and admitting it, when I moved to my new yard and people asked me "Do you not ride him yourself" for the first time in over a year I actually found the courage to say "no I had a bad accident and since then I have been really scared to ride" People did not laugh or take the mick they were supportive and did all they could to get me back in the saddle again.

Today I hacked out my lad I had not sat on him since November 2011 (in a group and we only went out for an hours walk and slow trot) but he was lead horse the entire way, we encountered traffic, the dreaded cows and a large tractor with a spray attachment but he was rock solid and I did not have one thought of impending doom. Got off and wanted to do it all over again.

Everyone at the yard has been fantastic and were genuinely thrilled for me this morning.

And I have to say it is the best feeling in the world.

Last edited:

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Well done Chavhorse. And you're so right, no shame in admitting you're scared. To be honest I think it's the only way you can climb back up the ladder. It takes as long as it takes! Super job!

Terri

horse.love92

Visit site
Well done !

I lost all my confidence in my Welsh D that I owned , took me a long time to admit he wasn't right for me.

After years of trying I finally sold him to a much more suitable home , I now have the best horse in the world , my confidence is back , he's really helped me through all my nervous moments , I would never had have a horse again if I hadn't have found him . :D

null_zps2bcc5c20.jpg

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Got on my mare this morning too for the first time in 10weeks after a nasty fall and stupid broken shoulder :eek:

Was bricking it but... She was fab. Just walked in the school, some 20m circles, serpentines, rein back. Didn't put a hoof wrong even with stupid scared mum on top :rolleyes:

CH - it's funny isn't it - watching someone else ride your horse and everything going ok - that's when my jealous streak works to my benefit for once!! :eek: it makes ME want to get on and ride :D

Glad all went well today :) x

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Well done !

I lost all my confidence in my Welsh D that I owned , took me a long time to admit he wasn't right for me.

After years of trying I finally sold him to a much more suitable home , I now have the best horse in the world , my confidence is back , he's really helped me through all my nervous moments , I would never had have a horse again if I hadn't have found him . :D

null_zps2bcc5c20.jpg

LIKE :)

Chavhorse

Visit site
I think that is what swung it for me DD :) I have watched him jumping brilliaintly with one guy at the yard, doing a fantastic schooling session with the yard instructor to the point she is saying he could go out and a Prelim now and hacking out with lots of differant people both on his own and in company and they are all raving about him.

Yesterday morning I arrived at the yard as the YO was tacking up my lad to go out on a hack, he asked if I wanted to take him instead and he would take something else but sods law dictates I was in shorts and trainers!!!! He hacked him out came back saying how great he was to ride and said lets go out tomorrow morning at 9am and I said "yep ok".

Arrived down this morning to find we numbered 9 people all going out together lol.

It just felt right there was no fuss and no fanfare and no one fussed around me just let me get on and get on with it.

babymare

Visit site
Well done you. in my case my daughter surprised me with trail riding weekend in welsh mountains(just back) as i had lost confidence and guess whoses back in saddle again. there was no pressure lovely sensible sec d but forward going.it was what was needed lol :)

Coblover63

Visit site
I'm another one who has re-found her confidence. A nasty accident in May last year left mine in tatters and a chance message on FB brought a gorgeous little cob into my life in August. My wonderful husband led me round for my first ride. I was wedged onto him like a Barbie on a plastic horse, such was my fear, but I just KNEW that I wanted to get over myself and ride again. Gradually we progressed to being unclipped off the leadrein with him walking beside us and then he would think of tasks for us to do in the school which challenged me and got me thinking rather than worrying about the riding. A year down the line I have more confidence now than I've had for many, MANY years and I have tried all sorts of things... bareback and even JUMPING! We hack out solo and in company, in front or behind at all speeds! I LOVE riding and I'm so grateful to my cob AND my husband :D