YOU DON'T HAVE TO RIDE TO HAVE AN INVOLVEMENT WITH HORSES!!!!!!!!!

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
If a health condition such as obesity makes it impossible to ride a horse, then there are non-riding activities available with horses.

In a spirit of human cooperation and kindness, let's all think of activities that are suitable for larger people. Let us also not all recoil in horror when a larger person expresses an interest in horses.

If you are wondering why I have spat the dummy so hard, it's because of the intense ridicule I was subjected to when I was larger even though I never came even remotely close to being too big to ride a horse or be a contestant on the Biggest Loser.

So if that is what happened to me, I shudder to think at how people who really are too big to ride a horse are treated.

Shantara

Visit site
There's certainly a weight limit for those who wish to ride a horse, but there's no weight limit for those who simply want to work with/be around horses!
My friend who isn't overweight, but she's hurt her shoulder and can't ride, is having a great time doing in-hand stuff with her ponios :) I think she's having more fun doing this, that when she used to ride!

Littlelegs

Visit site
personally, I think someone who is overweight still has the wit to come up with their own ideas. I'm unsure why being overweight means you lose the ability to think for yourself?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If a health condition such as obesity makes it impossible to ride a horse, then there are non-riding activities available with horses.

So true.

It's also possible to be normal sized but have four useless beasts that still demand your time, money and care despite the fact that you can't ride any of them.

^ I have no idea who that idiot is. ;)

Flame_

Visit site
So true.

It's also possible to be normal sized but have four useless beasts that still demand your time, money and care despite the fact that you can't ride any of them.

^ I have no idea who that idiot is. ;)

PMSL. You need to find a big fat person and let them come and do all the work and pay for the horses for you. They'd be so grateful for the involvement, wouldn't they? :p

Theocat

Visit site
Kippen, I think everyone on here would agree that larger people can still have involvement with horses even if they can't ride. No one has said otherwise on any of the numerous threads...

JFTDWS

Visit site
personally, I think someone who is overweight still has the wit to come up with their own ideas. I'm unsure why being overweight means you lose the ability to think for yourself?

:D:D:D:D

dafthoss may not be friends with the yellow pony, but when he's on the forum masquerading as "littlelegs" (aka ganglylegs) he is most entertaining :D

(sorry littlelegs, I like to do jokes to death!)

HeatherAnn

Visit site
This is me probably being close minded and correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know all of the causes for obesity. But if you're healthy enough to be working with horses then you're healthy enough to lose weight.

teacups

Visit site
I'm not sure why people are having a go at OP.

It's a perfectly valid point, and one often overlooked.

If the last thread got hijacked, then so has this one. I did start reading the last thread, and it quickly became a set of in-jokes about skinny people, so the point of the thread was lost (NB I did stop reading at that point - so no idea if it all descended into a bitter argument after that).

OP, you seem like a very nice person. I'm sorry to hear you got nasty comments when you started to ride. Some people are bullies, and would have picked on some other aspect of your appearance if you'd been a size 6 (probably that you were too skinny). You probably know that already, so apologies if that sounds patronising :eek:

Edited to add that omg, it does sound patronising. Eck. But I do agree with all you say about the way larger people are treated sometimes: every overweight person has to start somewhere!

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
This is me probably being close minded and correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know all of the causes for obesity. But if you're healthy enough to be working with horses then you're healthy enough to lose weight.
You could argue along the same lines that if you're healthy enough to be working working with horses you're healthy enough to quit depression! Clearly obesity can have physical (e.g. metabolic, hormonal) causes, but in most cases there is a huge psychological element too. For many people, it is vastly easier to give up smoking than to moderate eating in line with exercise. That's because food is, after all, essential to life whereas cigarettes are not. Some people become dependent on the reward feelings associated with relieving hunger. I don't think this dependency is very well understood or appreciated. Knowing this, I find it hard to feel contempt for overweight people, even though, at the same, I find fatness disgusting. One can hate depression, but pity the depressed. If being around horses helps a person overcome their obesity or depression (or both), it is something to be encouraged and celebrated, surely?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I can understand where the OP is coming from. When I got my mare I was overweight (more so than I normally am :p ) and the remarks I got from other horsey people were vile. Never mind that my horse was 2 so I wouldn't be sitting on her for another 2 years and that we enjoying walking out in hand, lots of handling and making mini assault courses - people found it their duty to come up and ask why I had a horse when I was so fat, why did have to inflict myself on my horse. One person even used to mock me everytime they saw me poo picking saying how it was all Id ever be good for blah blah blah. Luckily Id grown up around horsey people and was well aware how vile, rude and self opinionated they can be and was able for the most part to ignore it and enjoy myself with my horse :)

PandorasJar

Visit site
Walking horses out, lots of handling etc

I may not be overweight but I'm insanely unfit! Me and my horse stumble round together and get fitter together. It's a great way to lose weight and build stamina. It also gets you out the house, if I didn't have horses I'd be sat on my arse at home or in a pub most of the day!

Pan

Littlelegs

Visit site
I agree its rude for people to make unnecessary personal comments about their size. I also think its equally rude to imply overweight people are lacking in the intelligence to find other activities around horses without input from others. I wouldn't dream of approaching someone larger than myself & making patronizing comments like ' you are ok to groom & do in-hand stuff' anymore than I'd feel a duty to inform them I considered them fat.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Blimey, how did you resist the urge to run her through with a pitchfork?

I hope you made her eat her words.

I had majorly low self esteem issues at the time and could hardly speak to anyone let alone confront someone. I lost the extra weight tho from walking the horse and the dog and generally being less of a pig when it came to eating and my horse hasnt buckled at the knees yet :) No idea what happened to the woman - I had no contact with them when I left the yard :)

dafthoss

Visit site
Like meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Don't think I can be bothered hijacking another/the same/a replicon thread :rolleyes:

Does the OP win the most patronising post of the year award? :cool:

Daftrhino seems to be needed again :D:p

:D:D:D:D

dafthoss may not be friends with the yellow pony, but when he's on the forum masquerading as "littlelegs" (aka ganglylegs) he is most entertaining :D

(sorry littlelegs, I like to do jokes to death!)

Hmm little legs I need to have words with you was there really any need to take a chunk out of my knee :mad: if this knobberishness doesnt stop by the time I get back on friday we will be having major words :mad:
:p:D

Littlelegs

Visit site
It was only because i'm starving! If you gave me several buckets of feed a day & turned me out on 10 acres of dairy pasture I wouldn't be so ravenous I had to eat people!
Err, that is no idea what you're talking about at all.

JFTDWS

Visit site
It was only because i'm starving! If you gave me several buckets of feed a day & turned me out on 10 acres of dairy pasture I wouldn't be so ravenous I had to eat people!
Err, that is no idea what you're talking about at all.

OK... So now we know... Rob has turned carnivorous :eek:

The world is no longer safe :eek:

dafthoss

Visit site
Hehe no not carnivorous :p He lifted me up and took my knee out on a conveniant sharp corner :mad: (yes I could have let go but you know what I'm like)

The world is not safe with me about when he has annoyed me :p or when he is in a knobber mood :rolleyes: