You have a horse wow you must be rich!!!

kate79

Visit site
How often do you get this said to you!! Lol!! I always say no I'm poor because I have my horses! But you know what it does bug me... I don't drink, don't smoke , don't have cars on finance etc.. Just have my mares and no in reality of life they don't cost the earth as I do it all my self!!! Rant over!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
To be fair, in order to have a horse one does have to have a decent amount of disposable income - they are an expensive ongoing cost. Just because one doesn't have much left after its been spent on the horse doesn't mean one didn't have it to start with - there was just a decision made to spend it ona horse rather than something else.....

(I use the word 'one' to avoid 'you' and the OP thinking I'm getting personal ;))

kirinsam

Visit site
And because I am soooo rich it doesn't matter if they dont pay me for driving lessons when they are skint cos they spent all their money clubbing!!!!! Grrrrr

Now find I keep my horses secret til I really know people

lannerch

Visit site
I know people on scarcely more than minimum wage who have a horse so no you do not have to be rich, they do even have much disposable income. Where there's a will there's a way!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I earn a decent amount but do depend on the fact OH earns a lot in order to sustain my horse related lifestyle. And I don't compete. What I don't understand is how a woman I used to know, who was on benefits, had two kids and a horse, the horse being kept at a fairly pricey DIY yard. Yes it was a cheap ex racer, but what if it had needed the vet?

Jo_x

Visit site
To be fair, in order to have a horse one does have to have a decent amount of disposable income - they are an expensive ongoing cost. Just because one doesn't have much left after its been spent on the horse doesn't mean one didn't have it to start with - there was just a decision made to spend it ona horse rather than something else.....

(I use the word 'one' to avoid 'you' and the OP thinking I'm getting personal ;))

Agree with this... You cant claim to be poor once you've spent all your money on a luxury hobby!

claireandnadia

Visit site
If I didn't have horses then I'd be buying some other crap I don't need.
Instead I've got 2 lovely ponies , on a lovely yard and have made some fantastic friends who I'm sure I will stay friends with so I'd much rather be poor at the end of the month than not have that.

kate79

Visit site
That's my point! If I didn't have horses I would be a lot richer but it pees me off when friends that say ohhhh how do you afford horses etc etc.. Whilst they smoke 20 a day go on holidays , I just choose to spend my money on my girls doesn't mean I'm rich !! :/

Anglebracket

Visit site

I agree with this overall (and like the use of one). The exception, in my view, are people who sacrifice a balanced diet and paying for heating etc in order to keep their horses.

WestCoast

Visit site
I worked out that to buy Bree and keep her in schooling livery would cost me about the same as having a baby when you consider the lost income, child care etc. Noone ever says "you have a child you must be rich". But at least she won't go to university. ;)

Having not been able to have children, and having had a truly miserable last few years I thought "stuff it" and spent the money. But couldn't do it of I wasn't married.

But never forget that we are all very lucky to have the disposable income to do it. It isn't cheap and there are a lot of people out there living week to week worrying if they have enough for food and heating.

Paula

kate79

Visit site
Lol! Yes I agree :) I choose to spend my spare money on my horses.. But what I'm trying to say is that non horsey people seem to think your millionaires if you have them. All sorts of people from all walks of life have horses and i work hard to have my horses they haven't just landed on my lap. I get people say things like you must have a rich family or you landed on your feet etc etc. those who have horses know that sometimes you have to sacrifice other things in life for the love of our horses which I would always do because I love them to pieces. It doesn't mean im rich :(

dollymix

Visit site
As a child, my parents couldn't really afford for me to have a pony. I worked at the local riding school in return for lessons and eventually, when I was 14, they bought me a pony I was looking after up there and she was on working livery in order to pay the bills.

After, whilst doing my degree, I VERY inadvisedly bought a cob from an auction and a lady I knew let me stable with her for £5 per week in return for me looking after her herd for shetland ponies....hmmm, degree, social life, my own horse, 5 naughty shetland ponies and a part-time job. Nightmare!

Now, I have a decent job and can afford to keep my girls in more comfort. I would say a decent proportion of my wage is spent on horses (it's a good job I have an understanding husband!) - but I do think it is possible for you to be 'poor' (for want of a better word) and still keep a horse....if you are lucky like me and know people who will help you out! (and yes - I could still afford vaccinations and insurance for any other problems...just meant that I had a poor social life as a student! My cob was also kept just for hacking so alot of the expensive stuff was not required....)

Also, I do think that there is an awful lot of inverted snobbery around horses. People do see horsey people as 'posh' and point this out at every opportunity (you only have to look at some of the Olympic equestrian coverage in the press) and it can be infuriating. But I also think inverted snobbery exists within in the horse world too. For example, I have a 'friend' who was fine with me when I had my cob, but when I bought my new girl (17hh ID) I got a surprising amont of snidey comments like 'well you will go and buy a big, fancy horse' - if something went wrong. No, the problems IS NOT because the horse is 'big' or 'fancy' - it's because it's naughty! Just like my cob could be!!!

Last edited:

OFG

Visit site
I had this comment to me this morning!

You get paid too much if you can afford horses.

My response back was I work to pay for them and don't get paid enough!

Have to say though in response to other posters comments. I don't really have a disposable income to spend on the horses. Yes, I could sell my sons pony and send the loan one back to his owners but that would leave my old boy on his own and I don't think thats fair on him. He's now retired and in his dotate (37) and I owe it to him to have a pain free happy retirement. If that means sacraficing other things to pay for his upkeep then so be it.

OK, so I could have him PTS but I personally think that's wrong for me to do just so I can be a bit better off financially each month. He's given me 17 years work and now it's my turn to give back to him. He's healthy for the most part (stiff joints and going blind but other than that very good for his age) so why shouldn't he get to stuff his face with good grass, have a warm bed to sleep in at night and live out his days?

stargirl88

Visit site
I have to admit, when I bought my mare I was in the "oh bugger, I may be a bit late on rent, and..... Erm...... Its beans on toast for dinner" club. Intact I contemplated just living on the yard for a while!
It just makes me laugh when people assume I'm loaded. Can't they tell my financial situation from what Im wearing!!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ha ha! I lived in a caravan in my horses field for quite some time. People who used to say I must be rich, I'd invite back to my tin shed.

They can be forgiven though, I mean the average person not into horses will only ever see it on tv during Olympics or badminton perhaps and people do look rich! The audience is almost 25% royalty, and the rest appear to be related!

I go to horsey events and nearly everyone is wearing dubarry boots, pikeur tops, Gucci handbags.... So, even I think that people who have horses must be rich!!!!

Last edited:

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I am certainly not rich in any which way, both myself and my hubby both work full time, have a cheap roof over our heads (Married quarter) with little outgoings so I work to have my hobby.

When I had my horse I wasn't in the married house but living in a rented place which was way loads but my horse never went without ever, I would go without food, new shoes hair being done whatever, just so my horse had a rug on his back, food in his belly, shoes on his feet, etc etc. My mum used to say just get rid of the horse..... that was NEVER going to happen, I even went through a spell of unemployment but still maintained my horse's lifestyle rather than my own.

I didn't have him insured either so when he very suddenly became very ill I had no idea what to expect, wasn't in a great job at the time (working with horses p/t) so not great pay, but I told vets to do everything they could to save my boy, sadly not the case BUT £3k of vet bills 2years down the line I paid it off, thankfully I had understanding vets.

I am now in the position of being very fortunate so will embrace this by getting myself a new horse, I have gone without whilst we weren't able to afford it comfortably and now we are to hell with it I will get one.

I don't have a posh car either, been there done that but now bought a cheap little runabout whilst most of my wage goes on horse for me. Im happy this way!

Also lucky to have a very understanding and supportive husband with it all as he knows I had the horse before I met him and if it makes me happy to have another and it will then so be it. :D :D

Keen

Visit site
It just depends who you are comparing yourself with. If you can do it, even at the expense of not having a children/car/holidays/rent or a mortgage/expensive addictions, you are still rich in global terms!

Budgeting prospectively, I can’t find a way of getting the start-up costs to much below £5,000 (buying everything from scratch, albeit some of it second hand, and accounting for a £500 reserve for the vet/PTS costs but excluding rider’s clothing) followed by £3,500 annual maintenance from there on in. That is assuming a cheap-as-chips-horse, with any attendant problems it may have. Livery, even working livery, would be closer to min. £6,000 annual maintenance.

Anyway which way, that is A LOT of money over, say, a 14-years of having a horse. The people who do it cheaper probably have some sort of front loading: land, possibly, or years of experience up front, or relatively small housing costs. Sensibly, novices need extra help, and – unless they are very lucky to have some generous and experienced people around them – can probably expect to add half the initial cost again in the first year at least.

Littlelegs

Visit site
My horses cost very little to keep, I have enough experience to not need to pay for outside help & to manage fine on cheap farm diy. Except routine vets/farrier/dentist & major illnesses/accidents I can sort everything myself. Apart from the odd exception the majority of working people could afford two ponies kept like mine. What does annoy me is other parents who seem to think that as they spend their disposable income elsewhere, I should provide free riding for their kids. Entirely different when there isn't a disposable income to spend on anything.

Karen88

Visit site
This annoys me to! You don't have to be rich! I have had horses and ponies for years and as soon as I turned 16 I started paying for my own pony with my part time job, then after that I went to uni and was still only on a part time wage and paid for everything! I got my horse when I was 17. I am in full time work now but even back then my horse has the best of everything and is kept at a lovely yard with the best of facilities, which is very social and many of my best friends are there too. It is a struggle at times but at the end of the day it always seems worth it! I would probably be spending my money on something that I didnt actually appreciate if I didnt have my horse. I always say to myself when I start to grudge the money paying for my horse, will be the day I give it up! (I doubt this will ever happen)

mrsk29

Visit site
My boy costs as much to keep as a car on finance.... I drive a 12 yr old car, don't smoke, drink or buy designer clothes, rent our house, have a child and very understanding husband, our joint income is low enough to claim quite a few benefits but we don't! I am self employed and just set up an online tack shop to hopefully help things,... I don't earn a lot hubbys wage just covers bills. It wasn't always like this as hubby used to have a really good job till 6 months ago. Got a sharer which really helps and although we are always counting pennies I like a challenge and my horse never goes without (everything is second hand I buy him) but he is insured and will be with me forever.
People I know earn double what we do, drive fancy cars, designer clothes have no kids, and yet say we are rich as have a horse , I say we are rich, rich in having an amazing horse and happy home life too...

Littlelegs

Visit site
And forgot to add, the actual buying of horse/stuff isn't a good indicator either. When you've had them for years the stuff can build up slowly & cheaply. And valuable horses/ponies are often the result of a lot of hard work. Same goes for experience, I worked long & hard for my training/riding.

Potato!

Visit site
I get this too. My aunt recently said it to me whilst we were discussing money and incomes etc. I then said to her that I couldn’t remember the last time I went shopping etc. She said OMG how do you not go shopping I couldn’t cope without going shopping every week. It turns out that she allows herself £200.00 per month for clothes, purfume etc . I burst out laughing.

Visit site
My outgoings for car, house, living expenses (the only thing I would call a luxury that I have is SKY sports) and horse basically mean I am rooked at the end of the month. I don't go out that often, don't smoke...........well worth it though :)

The time away from the rat race is certainly more relaxing than a shed load of pints on a weekend!!!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Yes I'm rich in comparison to someone living on the streets, or someone unable to keep a roof over their head. But to be fair I've had this comment loads of times and never from homeless people!

The people who tend to make the comment are the ones who spend £100 on their hair every six weeks, £75 a month on gym membership, spend all day Saturday out buying new clothes, have nice cars and immaculate houses!

I last had my hair done a year ago, in the last 6 months I think I've spent £25 on clothes, my partner and I share his company car - it's all about what you choose to spend your money on. I could just as easily say to people who have thier hair coloured in salons and their nails done all the time etc 'ooh you must be rich', but thats seen as more 'normal' than having horses!

Even my own family drive me nuts saying this, if ever I say 'we're really skint this month' all I get is 'well you will have horses, thats why you're broke!' They all have huge houses and posh cars and are still 'poor' apparently! Grrrrrr....

micramadam

Visit site
Know the feeling. I work full time to keep my 4.
If I didn't have them I would be in the lovely position of being a lady of leisure but I'd be bored and unhappy!

I don't spend my money on designer outfits, shoes, bags, expensive hair appointments, beauty appointments, expensive holidays, cars etc, etc. it gives me more pleasure to spend it on my horses.

As a child I had ponies. As soon as I got a part time job at 13, my parents stopped paying for them and every penny I got (birthday and christmas money) went on keeping them. I wasn't and am still not rich but I am hard working!

teacups

Visit site
It just depends who you are comparing yourself with. If you can do it, even at the expense of not having a children/car/holidays/rent or a mortgage/expensive addictions, you are still rich in global terms!

Budgeting prospectively, I can’t find a way of getting the start-up costs to much below £5,000 (buying everything from scratch, albeit some of it second hand, and accounting for a £500 reserve for the vet/PTS costs but excluding rider’s clothing) followed by £3,500 annual maintenance from there on in. That is assuming a cheap-as-chips-horse, with any attendant problems it may have. Livery, even working livery, would be closer to min. £6,000 annual maintenance.

Anyway which way, that is A LOT of money over, say, a 14-years of having a horse. The people who do it cheaper probably have some sort of front loading: land, possibly, or years of experience up front, or relatively small housing costs. Sensibly, novices need extra help, and – unless they are very lucky to have some generous and experienced people around them – can probably expect to add half the initial cost again in the first year at least.

Completely agree. It's a big chunk of money.

Another perspective:
It's as much as someone on Job Seeker's Allowance or Incapacity Benefit gets to live on for an entire year.

I also agree with all the posters who have pointed out that other people have hobbies/expenditure (eg designer label habit) which are much more expensive, and no-one raises an eyebrow.

When I had £20 lessons, I got comments about expensive horse riding...from someone who had a £35 massage every week because it relaxed her (stressful job). But the horse riding also served to completely get rid of stress.