You just know when you've been hacking for too long by yourself......

russianhorse

Visit site
......When you ask your horses opinion everytime you pick up a pace :/

After 6 years, I have managed to ride out with my land owner, but I doubt she'll want to bother again after I kept asking Dizzy if he was okay to trot and canter lol

* cringe *

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I sing to my horse... just as well we hack alone.... and now that I think about it, this could be the reason?! :p

skint1

Visit site
I always ask my horse if she is happy to canter, sometimes her answer is "wheee yes!!!" sometimes its "meh, if you insist" :)

russianhorse

Visit site
Honestly, I'm sat here mortified lol - shell probably chuck me off the land for being a nutter

Looking back, I was saying "oh Dizzy is that a little scary" or "oh Dizzy we haven't been this way have we, we normally go that way" and then waiting a few minutes for him to respond

*face now hidden in palms*

lhotse

Visit site
I talk to my horse all the time, and sing to her. She often replies to my questions with a flick of her ear or a snort, depending on what I've asked her!! I don't care if people think me mad, I prefer the company of my horse anyway!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
......When you ask your horses opinion everytime you pick up a pace :/

OMG you are so right. And just one long running one sided discussion and commentary.

I'll never forget being out and about on the grey horse and shrieking at him to do something when a Kestrel took a pigeon right in front of us......:eek::eek::D

CobsGalore

Visit site
I always talk to him when we hack out by ourselves, usually along the lines of "Wasn't it nice of that driver to slow down for us" or "Which would you like to go today?" :D

I don't care if people think I'm mad!

Antw23uk

Visit site
OMG you are so right. And just one long running one sided discussion and commentary.

I'll never forget being out and about on the grey horse and shrieking at him to do something when a Kestrel took a pigeon right in front of us......:eek::eek::D

Oh Amymay this cracked me up :D

I chat to the horses all the time to the point I ask them which rug they want on etc ... Now trust me I'm not actually giving them an option or expecting a reply but especially with my loan (night)mare i found talking to her/ myself actually kept me level headed and calm when she was trying to smash my face in! :rolleyes: For me its a bit of a confidence thing ... and i like a chat :p

russianhorse

Visit site
The worst part though is that I didn't talk towards his ears, but shifted over to talk to the side of his head lol

Glad to see I'm not the only nutter :D

russianhorse

Visit site
Tiffany - that's the worst bit, I think I could hear him in my head answering

Me: oh Dizzy, do you fancy a canter now?
*silence*
Me:yeah? Okay then honey, lets go

I'm thinking I should stick to riding alone lol :D

9tails

Visit site
Is this not normal then? Doesn't everybody gather their reins, lift themselves slightly out the the seat and whisper "Are you ready?" before blatting up a grassy path like a rocket?

Merrymoles

Visit site
My best one was discussing with my old boy whether the sheep on the other side of the hedge on a narrow bridlepath really were the famous Yorkshire horse-eating sheep that he had obviously heard about. This went on for a few minutes until I persuaded him to be brave enough to go past (he was only just backed at the time). It was only then that I realised there was also a chap on the other side of the hedge. He probably went home and told his missus that there were some right nutters about... and I realised my boy hadn't been bothered about the sheep at all but more the man mending the fence!

TheoryX1

Visit site
Isnt this normal behaviour then? I chat to my horse while I am tacking up, while we hack down the road, we have an ongoing dialogue about the weather, the ground underfoot, do we want to trot or not, or shall we have a blast across that piece of headland. My favourite bit though is when we are jig jogging home after an evening hack because he wants his haynet and his supper, and at 20 he shouldnt really jog, is 'Do you want your din dins and haynet darling'.

Oh god, I have just admitted that on an open forum.......... runs for cover as very embarassed.

ralph and maverick

Visit site
I like to sing when hacking, as it seemed to help with my nerves, but it was always the same song!

I know an old lady that swallowed a fly, and on and on and on!
Poor horse probably knows it off by heart now, and is also probably sick of it!!!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
lol! I do that with Fab! 'Shall we have a canter up the hill?' Good job he can't answer, he'd probably tell me to get stuffed he'd rather walk!

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
The thing I used to find myself doing is, when driving, I check out the "scary' road signs, cones, ect. miles in advance and get ready for the car to shy.:eek:

Brightbay

Visit site
What worries me most about this thread is the dawning realisation that there are actually people out there who don't have long detailed conversations with their horses :D

Mahoganybay

Visit site
OMG, I do that when I am driving past full skips on the road and even prepare myself for the spook when I drive past.

What about putting your 'leg on' when passing things in the road in a leg yielding manner!

I thought only normal people talked to their horse, bloody hell, i have full blown conversations with mine. ;-)

MrsElle

Visit site
Perfectly normal to chat to one's mount when out on a hack ;)

My OH is currently having a very one sided conversation with the pheasant who was pecking about under the window. The pheasant is actually listening to him as OH asks Mr Pheasant about his two wives and if they have laid any eggs yet, and asking him if the weather looks as if it is about to turn.

Definitely not normal!

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm even worse... I will also say, out loud, Geoff's replies... one day my YO came in while I was seeing to Geoff's mud fever, and came in to:
"I'm sorry, babe, I know, that's a bit nippy."
"MUM, it HURTS, just DON'T."
"I know, but if we don't it will just get worse, be a big brave boy."
"BUT MUM IT'S SO SORE."
"I know, Geoffy, I know, I'm so mean to you, but we're almost done, look."

And then she said 'hi' over the stable door. I was a bit embarrassed. But have since heard her speaking to her horse while picking his feet out so am obviously not the ONLY nutter on the yard, just the biggest nutter...

fallenangel123

Visit site
It's when you are coming up to the big finish on a Disney number you've been singing while in the middle of nowhere and a cyclist appears behind you looking highly amused, nods at the tone deaf loony and pedals off as fast as possible!

Or is that just me?