You know those horses who drag their owners to grass.....

RubysGold

Visit site
little critter, your horse sounds like quite a challenge, but it sounds like you have worked out good ways to manage it :) Mine is also willing to stand any punishment, the grass is worth it in his mind.

It IS bad manners, It is rude, He is bloody annoying when he does it. But as poiuytrewq says (having just typed that Ive FINALLY figured out your username, Ive often wondered about it!! haha) I'm not struggling with him. Its not a long term problem, and no one is in any danger from it :)

RubysGold

Visit site
and in your particular situation i agree however if the person cannot even stop the horse stopping and get head down, they are unlikely to be successfully able to put them to work on a circle to teach them that stopping=hard work.

and if they are leading them in strong enough equipment that they CAN... then stopping the initial pause and head down in the tracks would also be possible.

if the horse continues to do it after many years, the training is inadequate IMO and IME

Not sure if this is about me or LC but I am certainly capable of making a horse listen and work. My issue is that he is on his knees instantly and by then I am too late and have to battle with him.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Not sure if this is about me or LC but I am certainly capable of making a horse listen and work. My issue is that he is on his knees instantly and by then I am too late and have to battle with him.

he's not listening then is he....because if he was he would be listening to your body language saying walk on and not belly flopping down for a snack!

Fiona

Visit site
What about a grazing muzzle while leading him across this particular patch of grass OP - might cook the little rascal's goose lol.....

Or you could video it for us??? I'm sure its very funny....

Fiona

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I started putting F's grazing muzzle on to walk to the field (a long walk, lots of long tasty grass on the tracks) because despite having the same rule for the last 12 years he seemingly couldn't help himself and my shoulders already have enough issues without him yanking randomly even if just every so often.

You say it isn't a long term problem but I think you have to be careful it doesn't become one, horses using lying down as a means of evasion are no fun.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My YO used to run a riding school with her sister. Apparently they had fun teaching the ponies a variety of 'tricks'. This was great until they needed the ponies to walk out on hacks sensibly and quietly - then the little horrors evaded their daisy reins by simply kneeling down or bowing so they could stop and eat, or else showed off Spanish walk when a small child was trying to mount!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Enid Whitaker used to run a smallish riding school, back in the late sixties/early seventies and had a pony who would randomly lie down on hacks! It would even do it in the yard when the ride was getting ready to set off!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
One of mine did it at the first check on his first hunt. I stepped off to a chorus of laughter from the field.

OP I had a great laugh at your post. Cheeky wretch. :D ! I'd love to see a video too, but after all this you probably won't be wanting to show is one.

Visit site
I ride one at work that think's it's his God given right to eat grass when he is out on a hack on his own! It's my own fault - I persuaded him to eat some one day when he was a bit sore and we needed to kill some time. Now he thinks that lonesome hacking is food time! He wouldn't dream of doing it in company or on any other route bar the old railway and when he gets told to shift he shifts but if you aren't paying attention you do sometimes feel as though you need grass reins lol! He never, ever does it with anyone else. He is a clever cookie so he is!

Cecile

Visit site
Well my horse takes it one step further than that!

I walk across an area of grass to get to his field. He used to drag his head down to eat (and the naughty beast would push me with his shoulder or bite my knee to stop me getting his head up)
Now, having realised I won't tolerate that and he must walk across the field without his head down....he has now started laying down to eat!
He'll go to lower his head to eat. I tell him no. So he lays down and munches. When I pull him to get up he rolls over!! I haven't found a way around this yet. He won't stand again until he is ready!!!!
I can walk around the grass but I sometimes forget to do that!
Has anyone ever heard of a horse doing something so bizarre!!

I have the perfect walking out companion for you and your character, a rather lovely bay 32" and if you give him a bath and he isn't totally dry and you try leading him he throws himself on the floor and rolls around like a spinning top, its hysterical. You could borrow him and lead yours and mine together and someone could film you all, you could easily make a couple of hundred pounds on one of those send in your funny film animal antic programmes :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have the perfect walking out companion for you and your character, a rather lovely bay 32" and if you give him a bath and he isn't totally dry and you try leading him he throws himself on the floor and rolls around like a spinning top, its hysterical. You could borrow him and lead yours and mine together and someone could film you all, you could easily make a couple of hundred pounds on one of those send in your funny film animal antic programmes :)

Can I add my paint 31 inch? She rolls in any soft food bucket. We'd make a fortune :D.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a little bas**** like that too!
Sadly he's a pure white fluffball, looks gorgeous on the odd occasion he's clean which is rare as he rolls instantly even tied up on concrete

RubysGold

Visit site

Haha!! We could definitely do that!

I love hearing stories of other horses and ponies doing naughty tricks like this :)