You know you've been around horses too long when............

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK, went into town today, they're digging up in the main street and there's total chaos everywhere, i.e. orange tape, warning signs, bollards, men making noise, scary machines etc etc, you name it.

So I had to walk past a lot of it to get to my destination and as I was going past, I found myself saying words to the effect of "good boy, steady lad, that's it, nice & easy" - to the total bemusement of other people in the vicinity who obviously (and they were probably right) thought I was a total head case.

Only.......... I wasn't riding!!! I was on foot! :):):):)

OK so know threads like this have been done zillions of times before......... but am I the only one who does stoopid stuff like this???

Anyone else?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I always find myself trying to keep my leg on when I drive the car past scary things. Thankfully she's not the spooky type! I'm also the type to lean forward when driving uphill/over speed bumps.

Amy&

Visit site
I told a colleague 'I see you've had a clip!' when they came in with a haircut, they look bemused but I made matters worse by saying 'yes, i'm going to have to do my lot this weekend too'.
My (non-horsey) OH was moaning that he'd hurt his wrist, I got a bit fed up of his whining and said 'well just have some bute and shut up'

Brain is permanently stuck on horse mode.

Lolo

Visit site
I 'see strides' everywhere. I'm so used to casually striding out distances I do it automatically between pavements and things. My friends all think I'm weird for my purposeful walk across the road... And mildly confused how accurately I can stride out in 1m/ 3' intervals...

Karran

Visit site
Apparently I try to half halt the OH if I feel he's walking Ahead of me. I do the 'over and prod' thing as well as clucking him on.
He gets really cross over it!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I 'see strides' everywhere. I'm so used to casually striding out distances I do it automatically between pavements and things. My friends all think I'm weird for my purposeful walk across the road... And mildly confused how accurately I can stride out in 1m/ 3' intervals...

guilty...i further confuse very non-horsey friends at school by muttering things such as "either short two or long one"

Lolo

Visit site
Also, when I walk about I tend to 'carry my hands'. A relic from the days when I actually tried with my riding and knew I carried my hands too low, so practiced carrying them at the right level everywhere. And now I can't stop...

Hippona

Visit site
I tell daughter to "walk on" in the supermarket...didn't even realize I was doing it until she glared at me...

Always used to tap the kids legs when they were little and tell them to"pick up" so I could do their shoes...

There's probably loads more that I don't even realize I'm doing..

NellRosk

Visit site
..I think it's perfectly acceptable to go into morrisons covered in hay/ shavings/ straw/ poo/ mud. Once in the queue a little girl said 'mummy why does that lady smell' I was looking round thinking who is she on about?! Then realised it was me :eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
My OH was appalled when he caught me giving the steering wheel a pat and saying good girl when I pulled away from a steep junction smoothly in my lorry .

And people looking out you out shopping and you look down and Oh yeh not good.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I only realised when my eldest boy whined about the 'weird way' I hold his hand that I did it differently to everyone else.
I hold hands hooking my little finger over the outside of the other persons hand....in effect passing their hand between my 4th & 5th finger like a giant rein!

Rouletterose

Visit site
Chatting to a good friend the other day and she was saying how her daughter now just into a teenager was growing up so quickly and getting moody, and I asked "oh she's probably starting to have her season soon"? still didn't realise what I'd said while friend had collapsed in a heap laughing.

khalswitz

Visit site
I always find myself trying to keep my leg on when I drive the car past scary things. Thankfully she's not the spooky type! I'm also the type to lean forward when driving uphill/over speed bumps.

This. I tell her she's a good girl when she gets to the top of steep slopes as well, or when it's icy and the footing's not good.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I have a habit of looking out of a car window and galloping the fields and jumping the walls..
Totally weird! :p

Yup, have done this ever since the school bus!

Last week I was on a coach trip with a colleague. When we got on the motorway I turned to her and said "this bus isn't very forward going". I didn't even notice it was an odd thing to say until she pointed it out (she has ridden in the past).

khalswitz

Visit site
A good one I said last month was when my Dad turned round and said he'd be late for tea. My response was "Oh, yeah, you're getting your teeth done today." Dad then felt the need to remind me that I'm the one who needs a gag...

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
..I think it's perfectly acceptable to go into morrisons covered in hay/ shavings/ straw/ poo/ mud. Once in the queue a little girl said 'mummy why does that lady smell' I was looking round thinking who is she on about?! Then realised it was me :eek:

OT but I once took an injured hedgehog to the vet. As I waited in the surgery I looked around to see who had the stinky pet, then realised it was me!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yup, have done this ever since the school bus!

Last week I was on a coach trip with a colleague. When we got on the motorway I turned to her and said "this bus isn't very forward going". I didn't even notice it was an odd thing to say until she pointed it out (she has ridden in the past).

Yes I have done that since school train journeys are best for it.