Young dog being a brat. A rant.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Today my youngest plucked my last nerve. When I do dog nails I do them outside with the dog on my pause table. I have to put my youngest on a lead and I give her cheese and do her nails. Today she didn't want to stay on the table or let me handle her feet and apparently cheese just wasn't good enough. When she was a baby I would put her in my lap and play with her feet and clip her nails and make it a fun time. And then, the little brat decided she wasn't going to go in the front door. She stood on the front porch and wouldn't move into the house. I finally had to wrestle her into the house. I feel like banging my head.

{97702}

Visit site
They are so frustrating when they are like that! Millie lurcher has that attitude (I’ve had her from about a year old as a rescue) and she is a weird mix of attitude and bravado on the surface but insecure underneath ? Mostly she is fine, but sometimes.... I share your pain ?

Parrotperson

Visit site
My JRT who I lost last August (still can't get use to life without her) would have to be held in a death grip by my husband whilst I clipped nails. Honestly the noise she made! You would think she was being murdered ?

jumbyjack

Visit site
My highly nervous hysterical dotty little dog is quite happy to have her nails done, probably the only thing that doesn't cause meltdown! Sister's tiny Tibetan turned into a snarling snapping shrieking monster at the slightest attempt.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Depends on the foot conformation and ground surface though, one of mine has lovely tight feet and I've never had to worry about it, the other one has rather long front feet and the nails never really make contact with the floor enough for them to be trimmed effectively. But I do overcompensate on road walking for that reason :p :p :p

A person I know keeps their dogs in the house and lives in the country so there is little opportunity for the nails to wear down naturally. She chooses to own and work very strong male dogs. The first thing she does is teach them that they MUST lie down on their backs and permit her to trim their nails, it's non negotiable, she does it very early when they are very small puppies. And now I cannot get the image out of my head of these uber-strong, tough male working dogs lying on their backs and offering their paws for mummy to trim them!!

GSD Woman

Visit site
My dogs typically get a lot of exercise. Both of my girls have longer feet than my male and their nails get longer faster.

scats

Visit site
I cut dogs nails every day in my job. 90% of them really dislike it. It’s probably the time I’m most likely to get bitten. I did a dog today whose dew claw had curled back up into the pad. Managed to sort it without too much issue (dog was very tolerant of nails, thankfully!)

{97702}

Visit site
I cut dogs nails every day in my job. 90% of them really dislike it. It’s probably the time I’m most likely to get bitten. I did a dog today whose dew claw had curled back up into the pad. Managed to sort it without too much issue (dog was very tolerant of nails, thankfully!)

That’s really interesting - the only one of mine who won’t tolerate it now is my 13 year old lurcher, if you hold her leg and look at her nails at home she gets antsy and starts to struggle to escape! I took her to my mums house recently for a visit and I was astonished that she sat like a statue while I clipped her claws ? I only took the tips off as she has black claws and I didn’t want to spoil things by making one bleed, but I was amazed....

The others all stand still and tolerate it thankfully, even Millie-with-attitude..... its such a relief after having dogs that needed a general anaesthetic to have their claws clipped in the past!

scats

Visit site
That’s really interesting - the only one of mine who won’t tolerate it now is my 13 year old lurcher, if you hold her leg and look at her nails at home she gets antsy and starts to struggle to escape! I took her to my mums house recently for a visit and I was astonished that she sat like a statue while I clipped her claws ? I only took the tips off as she has black claws and I didn’t want to spoil things by making one bleed, but I was amazed....

The others all stand still and tolerate it thankfully, even Millie-with-attitude..... its such a relief after having dogs that needed a general anaesthetic to have their claws clipped in the past!

It’s funny because I find that some dogs either hate the front being done, by aren’t too bad with the back ones, or the other way round. Then you get the ones who hate them all. I do have a few dogs in who I literally can’t get their nails done safely and I always advise that the owner takes them to the vet instead.
I’m working with my friends cocker at the moment, he’s terrible with his feet, but he’s come in for some desensitisation work and is getting a bit better over it.

Cahill

Visit site
grinders are the way forward ! :)
i got mine used to it as you would a horse to clippers.
(after an indepth youtube study i also learned there is a very right/wrong way to use different types of nailclippers)