Young event horse classes?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Hi, just looking for opinions on the young event horse classes, I'm thinking of aiming for the Gatcombe and/or the Hartpury events at the beginning of August. I'm curious as to whether as a non-professional rider I would be in way over my head. I don't event and probably won't with my horse (though I may be converted as some time in the future, lol
tongue.gif
), I'm aiming for dressage and endurance with jumping more for fun. However she is bred to event and is a good compact little horse, plus the experience would be very educational for her. I'm thinking of aiming for it with her training and if we don't make the grade by the time the entries are needed (1st July) then we'll skip. But I am very curious and think we'd both be up to/enjoy the challenge.

Any thoughts on the classes?

Thanks
EC

Matafleur

Visit site
Well I did it with my 4 year old last year and had a great time. I did Chard, Gatcombe and Hartpury. Although Gatcombe was a disaster and I didn’t even present her for the jumping!

There is a huge range of different horses at the qualifiers and yes, the Pro’s really stand out over and above the rest for the most part but that doesn’t make the experience un-enjoyable. I went with no expectations and I hadn’t prepped the horse for the class specifically, Chard was built very kindly but was the biggest course she had jumped to date, Hartpury was much more up to height and again was the biggest course she had done!

We were 4th (out of about 15) at Chard and about midfield (in a big class) at Hartpury, I was very pleased with both results.

It’s not the sort of thing to do if you get very upset at not getting placed etc as the judging is very subjective, there are also some really cracking young horses but yours may be one of them!

I would say that both Gatcombe and Hartpury were built up to height and were very atmospheric so just be prepared for that. Mine just couldn’t cope at all at Gatcombe but I think a lot of that was my fault as we were late and I was beyond stressed with only my very un-horsey husband to say all the wrong things!

Anyway, I enjoyed doing them and will probably do a couple of 5 yr old classes this year. Good luck!
smile.gif

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Well are plans so far are to be competing novice dressage over the summer, and starting to jump competitively then, the only change by aiming for BYEH would be to introduce jumping earlier, and compete by the beginning of June to give her a chance to see some courses and the atmosphere that goes with it. Got our first prelim in two weeks, she got 65% in her first dressage test w&t, she's a very balanced compact mare, I wouldn't really aim to win, just give her a grounding in competition plus I'm quite curious how the judges would mark her. I definitely want to have a go at eventing one day, but think that after novice level my confidence would not be up to the huge fences.
Hope the 5 yr old classes go well for you Matafleur
smile.gif

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
I did barbury, gatcombe and hart on buster and kept a blog of everything we did it's in my sig if you fancy a look! We wernt as prepared as you will be! This time last year he was still out in the field thinking he was still a racehorse!! It was great fun and a good eduction for us both!

gem2buc

Visit site
I did a few last year with my 4yo - great experience, although you won't get much feedback - you don't get score sheets it was just a number score which is a bit frustrating. I am no pro; but did ok at the events we went to (mostly in the top third). First dressage was around March beginning the yr and then I probably did 3 x SJ classes around 2'6-2'9 before I started any BYEH classes.