Young horse help!!

Binder91

Visit site
I currently loan a 4 (5 next month) year old Thoroughbred cross part Arab, he is one of a twin and they have a very stong bond.
last summer he went off to be broken and then i have been bringing him on since around August last year. I dont have indoor facilities or a school... he has been doing very well after a quiet winter only being out once a week and then all of a sudden i went away for one week (got back 2 weeks ago) took him out and his seperation anxiety has come back and he has a very bad attitude.
He gets almost over excited when we are almost back to the small track that leads to the stables and has started jumping around, scraping his feet on the ground, head flinging and now even rearing. He will leave the yard fine and be quite good on our ride but not as good as before i went away... he also has now decided he doesnt like light traffic and has been very spooky.

I went away in december in the winter so he had over 2 weeks off and he was good as gold and now all of a sudden after 1 week he is the devil, it just doesnt add up! I just want some advice as to why he is doing this and how to stop it!??

He is currently out 3/4 times a week doing light work.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Hi Binder91, welcome to the forum. I would think your youngster is just feeling well now the spring grass is through, and he's older and stronger now, and more opinionated! No idea how long you're out for on him, but maybe increase the workload/fitness. I would post in Tack Room too for more advice.

Firefly9410

Visit site
He could have started the teenager phase, testing your boundaries and generally being a PITA. It is like aliens abducted your sweet good natured horse in the night and left a changeling in its place. It will pass.

Last edited: