Young horse help

Binder91

Visit site
I currently loan a 4 (5 next month) year old Thoroughbred cross part Arab, he is one of a twin and they have a very stong bond.
last summer he went off to be broken and then i have been bringing him on since around August last year. I dont have indoor facilities or a school... he has been doing very well after a quiet winter only being out once a week and then all of a sudden i went away for one week (got back 2 weeks ago) took him out and his seperation anxiety has come back and he has a very bad attitude.
He gets almost over excited when we are almost back to the small track that leads to the stables and has started jumping around, scraping his feet on the ground, head flinging and now even rearing. He will leave the yard fine and be quite good on our ride but not as good as before i went away... he also has now decided he doesnt like light traffic and has been very spooky.

I went away in december in the winter so he had over 2 weeks off and he was good as gold and now all of a sudden after 1 week he is the devil, it just doesnt add up! I just want some advice as to why he is doing this and how to stop it!??

He is currently out 3/4 times a week doing light work.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
It could be that he's got a lot of fresh grass in his belly and is feeling the effects! my youngster has just turned 5 and I've really noticed the difference in him in the last couple of weeks, since he's been on good grass! he's not doing anything naughty but he is much stronger and more forward going etc, so maybe just see how he goes, he might start to chill out again. Or maybe try and cut down how much grass he is eating to see if that helps?

Also try hacking out with one of his buddies and see whether that helps?

Good luck and try not to do anything that will put you in danger!

sunnyone

Visit site
Could you a) reverse your route b) do a 360 half way round so that he goes back the way he came
c) find somewhere, anywhere on the ride to give him longer out d) get off and lead for some of the time you are out, e) go home and then do it all again, and if necessary again just to make a change?
I lost count of the number of times and hours I spent riding round some housing estates but my old horse when she was young thought she knew what and where we were going and at what speed, but I had different ideas.
Variety and external schooling was what was needed. Get him listening to you. It paid off in the end for us. Quite soon I did the thinking and she responded!

Binder91

Visit site
Thank you, yes i think the spring grass has had a huge effect and givn him beans!! He was quite good at the weekend tried it but not to naughty. going to lead walk a new route tonight and get on half way mix things up a bit for him.
Also tried lunging at the weekend and he reared as soon as i started asking him to walk on... i made hi stand and tried again for him to turn on me and buck then bolt off! again very very abnorml behaviour.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
As soon as he turns to you, you need to send him away even if it means a crack with the lunge whip. Mine started this, I couldn't get behind him to send him forward so got some help and a couple of lunge sessions with someone who wouldn't take his sh it. I now have the easiest horse to lunge.

You have to be so blimmin firm with them at this age. Don't be afraid to use a whip if he's acting like a nob

Oh and don't ask him to do something, tell him :)
Good luck

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Could he have changed shape a bit, eating new grass while you were away, without working? They often do change shape at this age anyway. Check your saddle fit.