Young horse-loaning out ?

jess2353

Visit site
well basically I have a 4yo welsh d. Very lightly backed then turned away. I'm having her brought back into work a week tomorrow.

but what I'm trying to ask is... Do people want to loan young newly backed green horses ?

As once she's broken I'm going to need someone to take over riding as I'm expecting my second child and she's getting just too much for me to handle.

staceyn

Visit site
I have a sharer for my two year olds but I can't charge as she can't do much with them, its a good experience and I had a lot of interest when I advertised but as soon as you say no contribution be aware kids will try calling and come,so I put in the ad nobody under 16.

AMW

Visit site
Have been in your position and also loaned a green pony.
Loaning the green pony, we put a lot of work and effort into her, got her going nicely and then decided to give her back after 2 years. Result, we got nothing for our effort (didnt expect anything) and the owners got a nicely schooled pony worth considerably more than when we got her.
Also, been pregnant and at the time owned a just backed pony. Decided to sell her on.

My advice would be to sell on, its a big ask to expect someone to take on a youngster and do it properly with a loan pony. When you have had the baby you will have 2 children to look after, I dont know what your work situation is but being realistic your horse time available will probably be curtailed for a year or 2. I actually gave up ponies for 10 years when my children were little, picked it up again and feel like I was never away. My choice & one I dont regret.

maree t

Visit site
I would worry about loaning a youngster , they could be spoilt and then you are left with the problem. Can you find a sharer and keep her where she is until you are able to get some horse time ?. If not then selling would probably be better than worrying about having her sent back at a difficult time.
Good luck with the baby

Littlelegs

Visit site
Anyone experienced enough to actually bring it on well isn't really going to want to do it for free. And of course you don't want someone inexperienced. There might be rare exceptions, but very rare. Just turn away for a year.

Abacus

Visit site
Have to say I agree with others - sell her or turn her away, unless you feel that the latter would be unsuitable for her (i.e. she's ready to work and learn). It would be heartbreaking to see her confidence damaged by someone who isn't experienced enough.

I had the same decision with my young chap, who was backed but not much more when I found I was pregnant (2nd time). I decided to keep him, sent him to a pro just before my due date to get him going before I got back on (last June). It's going ok, he is progressing still although it's slower than I would like due to family and work. Slow is better than something going wrong. But I still think sometimes I should just sell, let him go on to wonderful things and play with my older chap until I have more time for competing etc. Doubt I'll do it though; I'm too attached and he's just what I have always wanted.

jess2353

Visit site
I wouldn't expect someone to being schooling her ect I'd more than happy pay some to school her once/ twice a week & for a loan/sharer to come and hack her out or do what they liked. she'd have to stay at where she is though anyway otherwise
I would sell.
just trying to be realistic and do what's best by her, I don't want her wasted as she's got protentional to be a very nice horse.
turning her away isent really an option.
Wouldn't it be so much easier if you could see into the future and
See what happens

be positive

Visit site
Anyone capable of hacking and educating a green horse out and about would be more than capable of schooling as well, it would be unlikely that you could find one without the other if that makes sense, I also would be more likely to turn away or get going and sell.

jess2353

Visit site
I think having her turned away longer wouldn't benefit her, she's quite clever likes a job, and since she's been turned away which is for the last 3 months she's become Bargy & just plain rude. she needs something to occupy her now & take her places and get her out there :(

Holly82

Visit site
I know what you mean, I've been in the same sort of situation before. But it always came back to, 'what if they messed her up??'. Unless you know the person well then its hard to know what they will be like.

I loaned out a young sec D (already ridden) a few years back when i was pregnant and he was a handful a times. Had some real idiots turn up and i knew straight away it was a no no and so did the horse :rolleyes:. But one lady turned up and she was lovely and they got on brilliantly to the point were she bought him off me a few years later.

I think its hard loaning out a horse full stop, but wanting someone to school it for you, well i think i wouldnt bother. As the others say, turn her away for a while.

jess2353

Visit site
Be positive- that's most likely too. tbh think by reading everyone's comments best thing to do by her would be to sell as much as Id hate to see her go.

jess2353

Visit site
mines a handful most the time aswel but putting that down to the fact she isent doing much and is getting bored.

I wouldn't let her change yards either so would make loaning/ sharing more difficult I guess when there kept on the same
Yard you can keep an eye out.

this is one decision I honestly couldn't see myself having to make, not one I particularly want to make either.

zaminda

Visit site
I had my first pony on loan when he was not quite 5. The owners later sold him on to me, but it made no difference to me that I didn't own him, and he was brought on properly. However, I'm not sure that I would look to put a youngster out on loan. I would look for a sharer, as there are quite a few people who are experienced, but can't afford to own a horse. I would also look at doing lots of ground work, a friend who is currently pregnant, and not riding, but is doing a lot of ground work. This would mean that you could stimulate your horse without actually riding.

jess2353

Visit site
have been doing ground work, been walking her out in hand getting her used to sights & sounds aswel and bits around the yard with her. Just feel it isent enough