Young horse pulling to one side

WestCoast

Visit site
I've had Bree, my 4 year old Friesian, for about 7 weeks now. She's learnt excellent manners in the ground and is coming on in terms of riding her in the school and out. She is very green though and tends to pull to one side - she will just wander aimlessly in the school if you let her.

I tend to use lots of drive from the legs and squeeze the outside rein like a sponge to keep reminding her she is supposed to be going straight. But it still feels to me like I am pulling on her mouth all the time. You have to be quite subtle because if you do more than a gentle intermittent squeeze she just leans on the reins. But she doesn't tank off and does stop ok - although she takes a few strides for walk to halt she is improving.

She had quite a sore mouth when I got her, which is sorted now and I gt rid of the drop noseband and put her in a Myler Comfort snaffle.

Any suggestions?

I know I should ask at the yard, but I'm a bit fed up with always looking like the idiot that bought the big young horse (which of course I am).

Paula

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
She is young and big so will be immature and green. She has no idea about how to go straight so I would be working on circles in walk and trot and just making sure she is off the leg before I started anything else. Once they are forwards then you begin to add all the other basics. Circles are your friend. You have to be accurate to stop them falling in and out but be strict and if they are off your leg it will make life easier. My horse took a good couple of weeks before he had learnt to move over from leg when newly broken.

I would suggest a good instructor to be eyes on the ground and make sure you are asking correctly and being strict about everything you do.

be positive

Visit site
Until she learns to carry herself properly she will need the support of the reins to some extent, many young horses will really lean until they can take more weight on their hindquarters and find their balance.
It is finding a happy medium initially so that she is encouraged to seek a contact but to not rely on you holding her up, gradually she will listen more to your legs and seat and become more balanced and in self carriage, this will take time to establish.
Ride her forward from your legs into a really swinging trot, she should find it easier to maintain her rhythm in trot than walk and you should be able to hold her where you want her with your legs and a light rein contact, once she finds it easy in trot it should be better in walk. Walk can be a very difficult to work on with a wobbly baby as there is less impulsion to assist with the steering.
Everything you do needs to be clear and purposeful, repetition and praise will get you far and she will start to become more established and understand what you are asking of her.

Tash88

Visit site
Of course you're not an idiot! They're probably jealous that you have such a beautiful new horse!

It could just be a baby thing that she'll get over in time, but of course you don't want her to develop unevenly or anything. Does she try to lean out hacking as well?

There are schooling exercises that you can do to maintain straightness, and I think you're doing the right thing, but you could also try riding down the 3/4 line so that she doesn't 'stick' to the edge of the school. This will make her concentrate on straightness more as well, as she will be listening to you more. You could also try putting her in a waterford bit, these aren't harsh (as long as your hands are soft) and it will prevent her from leaning. I am currently riding my youngster in a fulmer waterford and he is going really well in it - does your bit have full cheeks as well?

WestCoast

Visit site
Thanks all. The bit is pretty much the mildest you can get because she had such a sore mouth - I don't really want to change it as I don't want to cause her any discomfort.

In the school she generally pulls away from the side of the school. At trot she will cut the turns big time - but she's not that balanced yet. Friesians tend to mature quite late. They've just had a round pen finished so I might spend some time in there with her free or on the lunge, which she was coming on with.

I think it's probably a case of short periods of being quite strict with her in the school and plenty of trips out which she likes better.

Out hacking she heads towards whatever she's looking at. She's ultra looky - but in her defence there is lots to look at - deer everywhere, pheasants, the M40 runs down the side of the farm. I go out with another quiet horse. I was going to start hacking her out alone but have decide to give her a little more time accompanied and have a few lunge lessons on another horse to get my seat more secure.

Paula

WestCoast

Visit site
Just a quick shameless bump to see if anyone else has any advice.

I am ashamed to admit the thought did go through my head this morning of parting with her to someone more experienced and getting a nice 14hh bombproof cob that I can vault on and off and hack around on for hours. But I'm sure it will pass when I go and see my beautiful mare this morning - my husband was well warned that if I bought a four year old there would be tears at times and it hasn't come to that yet (well except over the livery yard but that's another story).

Paula

HBM1

Visit site
I know nothing about riding, but at 4 years old she is just going to be very young emotionally. I have warmbloods, but from what I have heard about Friesians they are very similar in how they mature? Think of her as a 4 year old child, learn something one day, forget the next and spend much of their time daydreaming - they would not be able to read Janet and John (generally)...don't always think about body size and how they look, the mind is important too and I bet if you think in your head where you want to be in a year's time, when she is more mature emotionally, rather than next week, and plan it so that you take her very gradually in her first year, you will have a very happy horse and happy owner.

Being in a yard you don't like will only escalate your feelings of things not being right, so why not look for somewhere more friendly?

WestCoast

Visit site
Thanks - you are completely right of course. When I bought her I was fully aware that I might have to carry on with lessons for a while and let the yard bring her on. She looks really big and mature, but of course she isn't.

She loves the yard - she gets firm boundaries, daily turnout and lovely big stable and the staff all really love horses. She is ridden daily by the head groom there if I don't want an accompanied ride who is excellent with her. So the problem is more me feeling a bit out of place really and the lack of other liveries to talk to/go riding with. But more will be coming soon.

Paula

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
When you want to hack out and relax, having to school a youngster is very frustrating. But in 5yrs time, when you know each other inside out and have schooled her into the horse of your dreams, you'll be glad you didn't sell. Nobody is born knowing how to train a horse. You can either learn it with your current one, learn it with another one, or don't learn it at all. I found the sense of achievement in getting that first rosette, realising you've done all the hard work yourself, to be well worth it.

It's hard to see progress when its happening so slowly. Once every 6 mths I recommend having a riding school lesson or borrowing a friends horse that doesn't get schooled. It makes you realize just how good your own is and how much effort you put in to riding her.

You've got the right idea with short periods of quality work. People have given good advice on this thread with exercises etc. A horse finds it easier to be straight (ie hind end following front end) whilst on a circle rather than a straight line.

To test straightness on a straight line, come off the track onto the centre line or diagonal, ride between two poles set to create a channel about 2' to 3' wide which will help straighten the horse, try to hold your straight line in the gap until you get to the next pair of poles, ride between them then back to the track.

To stay straight, think of creating a channel with your reins and sending the horse down the channel with your legs. It can help to keep your hands wide. Your hands control the head but your legs need to control the shoulder as well as the hind quarters. If you ask her to stay on the track using mostly your outside rein, she will fall in through the inside shoulder. Always ride from leg into hand. Youngsters are unbalanced though, they need to develop the right muscles to be able to respond to your aids to stay straight. It takes time. The main thing is, if you ask her to do something she responds, even if its not the right response. You'll get there in the end.

WestCoast

Visit site
Thank you - excellent advice. I will put it all into practice. :)

Thoughts of parting with her weren't really serious - she was super out today, didn't shy once even at flappy trucks on the m40 or the killer deer. They've finished the round pen so we had a lunge which she seemed to enjoy. You get a very good view of what's going on with her rear end and she is a bit uneven - but she just needs time.

I'm going to hack her Tuesday and Wednesday (everyone gets Monday off) and have my lunge lessons in the afternoon. Then on thursday I am off to the Paralympics so the groom is going to school her for me then give me a lesson on her on Friday.

We'll get there. Oh and there's a new livery coming so hopefully we'll get on.

Paula

Luci07

Visit site
Just make sure you are not sitting to one side and pushing her out, it's easily done. Ride her up the centre line forward, then if safe, just sit on her the next time and see what she does. Does she stay straight or, wthout you riding her forward, does she veer off line. Get someone to check you are straight and not placing too much weight on one side. Check under your saddle to make sure she is not sore as well and moving away for this and your saddle is not restricting her shoulder.

Is your instructor good with babies? And by this I mean someone who is still riding and producing them? I see a lot of babies at the yard and it's incredibly easy to unbalance or push them out if you are not straight yourself,

WestCoast

Visit site
Thank you Luci.

If you let her she just wanders around aimlessly, going to look at anything that catches her eye and completely avoiding the corner with the invisible school monster (although she will now go into it when asked).

I'm not particularly happy with her borrowed saddle, but the good news is her Albion arrives next week and is being fitted by someone recommended to me who is also frequently recommended here. So it is possible it's bothering her - although she doesn't always pull the same way.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if I'm off centre though. Hence the lunge lessons - it's at he riding school where I had some lessons before I got her (I'd had a break from riding). The instructor is quite happy to yell at me if I get things wrong.

I dont have an instructor at the yard as such - im on fully livery with exercising. The groom who rides her i am very happy with and has plenty of experience with youngsters as that's mostly what they do there. There's also a very experienced yard manager who rides youngsters all day every day. Noone seems too keen to correct my riding - not sure if they are being polite or it's ok. Certainly someone tells me soon enough if I do something wrong on the yard.

I've only had her 7 weeks and some of that time she was recovering from her sore mouth/wold tooth out and the school was out of action due to building work so he's only really ridden her out.

I guess I'm just trying not to look like a complete numpty. I must keep remembering that 5 weeks ago she bucked and bolted all round the school with me and today she was calmly walking 200 yards from a busy motorway.

Paula

Last edited:

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd take a different approach. I don't usually ride 4yr olds in arenas or confined environments/areas, I wait till they are close to 5, with maybe the odd short session a handful of times. I'm not saying its wrong to, or I disagree with people who do, I just find hacking gets the same results physically & mentally keeps them happier leading to a lasting enjoyment of work. And especially with a very unbalanced or immature youngster. Hacking doesn't mean you mooch about on them. Far easier to go forwards, lack of which is usually the cause of the majority of schooling problems. Easier to vary what you do too. Youngsters ime prefer it, & don't develop a bored/sour attitude. And at first you can build up muscle & balance with longer but less demanding rides. And as they improve, the % of the hack you ask for real work & concentration improves. Plus competing wise a horse that can work & concentrate regardless of what goes on around it has a distinct advantage over one used to only working in a quiet empty arena at home. By the spring they rise 5, transfering 3 good paces, basic school movements, & baby steps of lateral work to an arena is simple. Daughters pony is just 5 & only ever ridden by 7yr old daughter. First time she was ridden in a confined space was at her first show, where she won/ placed all classes. Been in a school a few times, & occasionally ridden in our field. But that hasn't slowed her down, jumping small, but complete courses in a consistent balanced canter & from a good stride, & doing her first prelim unaffil dressage this autumn. Probably won't win but expecting a score in the low 60's. And done the same myself with countless projects or horses belonging to others with good long term results.

WestCoast

Visit site
She certainly prefers being out hacking, so that is what she'll mostly do. But when winter comes I will only be able to ride in the school 4 days a week because I work, so it will be a combination. I also need to stop her pulling to one side on the roads - although part of that I think is that she was broken in holland and wants to walk on the right.

She's unlikely to do any real competing with me as, to be honest, I'm not really interested. She's to be a bombproof hack, and maybe a little low level cross country when she's older. I'll also get her rebroken to drive at some point as she's a ride and drive.

Paula

WestCoast

Visit site
Here she is having a run around the school - what she's doing here is what she'd do under saddle if allowed, a bit aimless and cutting the corners and going to try to scrounge off the cameraman. I am in serious pain due to overdoing it at the gym yesterday hence my general uselessness. She goes better with two runners, one at each end.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8N4sQIjZQ0

Paula

Goldenstar

Visit site
Paulag , this is really very normal for a young horse. The first thing I would say I would not try a Waterford on a young horse in any circumstances.
however I would experiment with different snaffles I would try and eggbutt one and one with cheeks to see if either helps you can get a full cheek myler and it's a use full bit to have in your 'tool box' and for the eggbutt I use the trans angled neue schule .
Other things that help with are long riening ( you need a helper to get started with this ) and hacking out in walk with another horse although in every hack a young horse should be beside the companion horse or a little in front however if you let the youngster follow the older one up a hill in walk it helps them get the feel of walking forward and straight.
It will come right with as she builds strength.
Have fun with her and enjoy the journey.

WestCoast

Visit site
Thanks - I'll see if I can borrow a full cheek to try as they do have a lot of bits on the yard, many of them Myler or neue schule.

I think she does need more time to mature - I was mostly worried I was letting her develop bad habits.

Paula

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ok I watched the video she is long in the back and has the typical high head carriage of horses bred principally for carriage work.
I am working at the moment with a dutch harness horse that I broke to ride at ten so I do understand this type of horse quite well ( I drive) .
Do lots of things to stretch the back forward and down this type of horse finds it difficult to learn to lift the abdominals and the stretch the muscles on the top of the back.
Pole work is excellent as is hill work .
My equine physio (who has a fresian )recommends the gentle use of a equi - ami for lunging and that would mean three times a week fifteen minutes almost all in walk three times a week moving with the horse rather than lunging on a little circle if you see what I mean.
You are going to have great fun with her.

WestCoast

Visit site
Goldenstar -That's interesting as she's certainly a carriage breed, although I prefer to think of her as a warhorse :). She's started doing some hill work going out with another, quiet horse.

Just got use of a round pen, so I may well be able to do some lunging work. I had a look at the equiami and see what you mean. As long as it was for quite short periods of time she's a nice natured horse who would be happy to learn.

Katie - thanks for your reply - she had dental work and A wolf tooth removed just after I got her 7 weeks ago. She had a very sore mouth which is now healed. But some of the problem could date back to that.

Paula

katiesdolphin

Visit site
Yeh thought it sounded like it! That's great its already out and healed she'll just take a while I'd say till she's confident at that side of her mouth, I've had a few youngsters the same and all came right :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Goldenstar -That's interesting as she's certainly a carriage breed, although I prefer to think of her as a warhorse :). She's started doing some hill work going out with another, quiet horse.

Just got use of a round pen, so I may well be able to do some lunging work. I had a look at the equiami and see what you mean. As long as it was for quite short periods of time she's a nice natured horse who would be happy to learn.

Katie - thanks for your reply - she had dental work and A wolf tooth removed just after I got her 7 weeks ago. She had a very sore mouth which is now healed. But some of the problem could date back to that.

Paula

I would prefer to use the equi -ami in a big school if you get her walking a little way from you and keep her out a regular distance from you you can walk with her and this way it's very low Impact as you are not really ever on a tight circle it's also a good way as it keep their necks straighter which will help you at this stage.

WestCoast

Visit site
Ah yes, I get what you are saying.

Slightly off topic, many, many years ago I used to have a cob that we had from a gypsy who was supposed to be ride and drive. I spent a period of time taking him for walks on a double line with a surcingle my mum made for me. I was ahead if my time long reining. Decided not to put him in a cart in the end as he had the best fly buck on the yard. The trainig aids just reminded me of that. I was a total numpty but taught that pony all sorts of stuff by trial and error because it didn't occur to me that I couldn't.

Paula

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's called the confidence of youth never be afraid to try things Long riening would be great for your horse to .
Long riening over randomly spaced poles in walk of course is another Favorite of my physio the horse learns to bend its joints and gain better eye to foot coordination keeps the rider fit too!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well marching behind a large horse on sand based surface is hard work .
Just a thought remember the traing scales.
Rhytmn
Suppleness
Contact
Impulsion
Straightness
Collection
So if you think of training as a pyramid rhytmn is at the bottom it's the base of the training structure.
So at the moment the main thing to think of is maintaining the correct even rhytmn .
Straightness is near the top of the scale so as all the things below that on the scale improve staight ness develops I think of the scales all the time I am training where it helps me to keep focus on the right things , if you get to worried about some thing to far up the scale with a young one you can neglect the things at the bottom which are the things that are really going to help over the long term.
If you google dressage traing scales you find stuff that explains it better than me.

WestCoast

Visit site
Now I have a huge pile of reading to do. :eek: :D

Thanks - things have changed since my vault on a pony and trog around the countryside days clearly. But I want to do my best for he as she's a beautiful horse.

Talking of which, I'm off to trog around the countryside with her (with a nice quiet horse with her).

Paula

Goldenstar

Visit site
Have fun I am getting on my six year for the first time after his op he's been off since April let's hope having the offending tooth removed won't have made him into killer TB from hell and the only reason he was such a quiet boy before was because he was not right !