young horse snatching legs back-.-

JoshuaR97

Visit site
My ID who is rising 5 has decided with his back legs and the right front to start snatching back at you. I know of course not to let go off them and only allow him to put them down when I allow him but with his backs he proper does it forcelly and with him having shoes on isn't great if he knocks you when he snatches it off you.. anything I can try?

Queenbee

Visit site
When they are being right tits with their legs I like to use a line on them (if appropriate) Sometimes they are so forceful with this behaviour that hanging onto said leg is difficult, you let go no matter what you try and this in turn reinforces their behaviour.

Others may have different approaches but the two things I like to try are as follows:

1 - a lunge line around the leg, this way you can use the line to lift the leg and stay out of the way of being knocked around and thrown off balance like a bowling pin... you can stand and hold the leg up whilst the horse throws a wobbly and let it down as soon as he settles with lots of praise. Soon the horse learns that whatever he does won't make a difference.

2 - avoid the battle, walk to horse, lift leg - put it straight back down before the horse goes into paddy mode... do this repeatedly for a number of days, then lift and count to 2, then the next time to three - this one is a little more tricky as you have to know your horse, know how long is too long etc, timing must be precise.

Its about picking your battles. Obviously no 1 is about teaching the horse that battling is futile, no 2 is about avoiding a battle altogether. It really depends on how you want to approach it and what approach is best for your horse. For example - my old mare was a hypersensitive diva, option two would have been the one for her, whereas my coloured is a great lump of an idiot - thick skinned, thick headed and very strong with little to no spacial awareness :D option 1 would work best for him.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Two of mine do it.....one was because of sacroiliac pain the other has stifle problems and we don't shoe behind because of it.

If it's just started then keep an eye out its not an actual pain response other wise the above sounds good advice

JillA

Visit site
I find if you just hook your fingers over the toe, there isn't a lot they can do. If you stand at the side and just keep it hooked up, they will pretty soon give up. Some don't like the feeling of their feet being gripped.

Arzada

Visit site
My ID who is rising 5 has decided with his back legs and the right front to start snatching back at you. I know of course not to let go off them and only allow him to put them down when I allow him but with his backs he proper does it forcelly and with him having shoes on isn't great if he knocks you when he snatches it off you.. anything I can try?
You are about to pick up his left hind - how have you got him standing ie where is his right hind foot and his left fore? And how high are you going to lift the left hind?

whizzer

Visit site
I had all this with my young mare just after I bought her this year, she's so big & strong that I just couldn't hold on,she was extra awkward as wouldn't pick them up then when she finally did was very kicky & snatchy.I had originally to work on just getting them off the ground then holding with no picking out to start with, it would take 20 mins plus to just get her to lift them all,couldn't even contemplate picking out as well at that point! I just chipped away at it,never did anything on days when I didn't have time to see it through & as someone else said didn't push it,when she picked up,only briefly held it then let it go & lots of praise. I just quietly persevered,it took weeks to get improvement,the turning point was when the farrier was there as between me,him & his apprentice the battle was quietly,finally won & from that day on she was much better,she still tries it on with just 1 hind leg a bit but hasn't much conviction behind the resistance now & gives in easily.

JoshuaR97

Visit site
When they are being right tits with their legs I like to use a line on them (if appropriate) Sometimes they are so forceful with this behaviour that hanging onto said leg is difficult, you let go no matter what you try and this in turn reinforces their behaviour.

Others may have different approaches but the two things I like to try are as follows:

1 - a lunge line around the leg, this way you can use the line to lift the leg and stay out of the way of being knocked around and thrown off balance like a bowling pin... you can stand and hold the leg up whilst the horse throws a wobbly and let it down as soon as he settles with lots of praise. Soon the horse learns that whatever he does won't make a difference.

2 - avoid the battle, walk to horse, lift leg - put it straight back down before the horse goes into paddy mode... do this repeatedly for a number of days, then lift and count to 2, then the next time to three - this one is a little more tricky as you have to know your horse, know how long is too long etc, timing must be precise.

Its about picking your battles. Obviously no 1 is about teaching the horse that battling is futile, no 2 is about avoiding a battle altogether. It really depends on how you want to approach it and what approach is best for your horse. For example - my old mare was a hypersensitive diva, option two would have been the one for her, whereas my coloured is a great lump of an idiot - thick skinned, thick headed and very strong with little to no spacial awareness :D option 1 would work best for him.

Thank you! Tried number 2 today and kept putting it back down and he decided when I finally wanted to pick them out he wasn't gonna snatch but one back leg took a little while but he finally stopped. I'll keep carrying this on until it fully stops.