Young horse training issues

Shellinch

Visit site
I have had my mare who was rescue Arab X broken 2 times. First time she was going 6 weeks and escaped from field and had 1 year off with injury after knee surgery.

I then sent her to Grand Prix dressage rider costing £2500 In total and she was here 3 months but I fell pregnant and no one would ride her as they said she is too much trouble so she had another 2 year break.

I have since now with my baby being 4 months old got on her. She doesn't move forward easily, plays with the bit being extremely sensitive to the bit. Is very unbalanced and has already napped bucked and reared. I have also noticed when I put my hands to side and she catches site she tried to run away from them and panics. Iv not attempted more than trot but it's hard work to get her walking as I'm literally squeezing the whole time and if I kick she panics!

We had an issue with the lady who had her from the Grand Prix dressage as I fell behind on 2 weeks payment and it snowballed with her refusing to work her but still charged full price and she never showed me evidence of any work she did with her.

But basically I'm wondering how I move forward getting her working nicely and any advice. Iv always had youngsters but never anything that panics as much as her. I know they say roadwork is key to young horse but I don't trust her enough to justify any roadwork.

She is a rescue mare and iv taught etc her everything from being tied, walking through puddles as she was abused before I owned her. She still panics now if left in field alone or someone shouts at her or you pick up fork wrong and scare her.

Just wondering on advice to get her moving forward and get her out of napping and freaking. I assumed she would still be green and it's getting back into swing of things but I didn't think she would be this bad. Is it a case of starting fresh? Do horses normally forget all their training if left for long periods of time?

I'm good at driving horses forward as used to nappy horses but it's different with her as she panics if you flap or start raising your voice. Would it be best I send her back to another trainer and start fresh? I feel like I have failed her and maybe my riding after having 2 years off with babies isn't up to standard again. I just don't want to ruin her!

Under-the-radar

Visit site
Bless you - that sounds like an emotional overload for you and your horse! I am assuming that as you had sent her away to be broken before, that you are not confident enough to do the beginning part yourself?

I think you need to find someone very sympathetic to help bring her into work, or do this yourself (if confident enough) with the help of someone sympathetic. From the sounds of it, this is not a horse that will be for just anyone to back. Whether you do this yourself or not, I think it sounds like a LOT of ground work is needed so that she learns not to panic with the pressure. She is going to need to learn to fully accept the leg without freaking out - if she can't do this, then she may just not be suitable for ridden work at this time. With the way she has been before, I would think it would be best to start from scratch again - 2 years is a long time - I would want to run through the basics with any horse that has been out of work for that period of time, let alone one that is prone to freaking out!

Re the moving forward - I have a slightly backward thinking arab, who I have done a lot of ride and lead with, which seems to have helped her to learn to just go out and enjoy herself, and so move forward more readily. Long reining can be useful to teach them to move out on their own - but I have found the ride and lead useful for a few horses now (providing they can cope with traffic etc).

My older mare is one that will also panic if you walk into her stable too quickly or talk too loudly. We have come to an understanding now that she believes she is doing what she wants - I just have to find ways of getting her to do what I want, without her realising it was my idea ;). She is arab x too, but chestnut on top of that ;)

Shellinch

Visit site
Fab thank you :) she is a funny one as when you lead her she will follow me anywhere over scary blue bags and over jumps on lead rein. Probably best I find someone to re train and touch base with her. She is so much hard work at times lol but then other times she is amazing. Arabs for you I suppose lol I just don't want to ruin her that's all. Iv perfected her on ground, might even be a case of me having daily lessons so I'm still involved but I have a professional over seeing it. Apparently she done a huge Buck rear when she napped as someone had just put horses out and walking walking back up lane next to me age but I thought it was just a small rear lol I sat it lovely but don't particularly want it happening again lol I managed to drive her forward strait after that Buck/rear moment.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I would definitely get someone to help you - have you looked for someone one like the IH practitioners - or something along those lines? I think you will need someone who is prepared to think outside the box a little bit.

One of the main problems I had with my arab was that she was so used to me handling her from the ground that when I got on her, she wouldn't move forward as I was behind her head. So getting her used to some handling by someone else may be a good idea, to help you with moving her on when you riding. I had a rescue arab before my current mare - and he found a LOT of things thoroughly traumatic. But he did gradually learn to trust I wasn't going to hurt him. I am told that arabs do have a reputation for being a one owner horse - certainly the arabs & arab x's I have had recently have been very much like that - they will tolerate other people, but don't really enjoy their company ;). They do also have elephant memories - things are never forgotten!

be positive

Visit site
Fab thank you :) she is a funny one as when you lead her she will follow me anywhere over scary blue bags and over jumps on lead rein. Probably best I find someone to re train and touch base with her. She is so much hard work at times lol but then other times she is amazing. Arabs for you I suppose lol I just don't want to ruin her that's all. Iv perfected her on ground, might even be a case of me having daily lessons so I'm still involved but I have a professional over seeing it. Apparently she done a huge Buck rear when she napped as someone had just put horses out and walking walking back up lane next to me age but I thought it was just a small rear lol I sat it lovely but don't particularly want it happening again lol I managed to drive her forward strait after that Buck/rear moment.

I am not quite sure where you are at the moment with her, your posts are a little confusing, the thing that jumps out is that she trusts you to follow you anywhere but is not trusting when you ride, she is jumpy when you move your hands so she can see them or if you have to kick her on, does that sum it up?

If my summary is correct then I think you need to stop her following you, apart from bringing in and out doing routine things and concentrate on getting her going without you in front, so lunging, long reining, desensitise her to the reins flapping gently against her sides, later use the stirrups moving to get her comfortable with them banging her sides, much as your legs will, try and be a little less worried about how she will react if you move near her, she is scared but must learn that a raised voice is not going to mean you are telling her off, a bit of toughening up, carefully and fairly so you don't frighten her, is required if she is going to ever become a confident riding horse, it is all about her having self confidence not just being trusting when you are there.

I would get a professional in to help, probably after the two previous experiences sending her away at this stage is not the best idea, if you get someone that has dealt successfully with many different types of horse they should have a good range of tools to use rather than set ideas that may not work with the tricky ones.

Shellinch

Visit site
I suppose I have mothered her a bit lol one day I will have something normal ish I just seem to always end up with these rescue cases lol I do enjoy ground work and gaining that trust now need to get her used to a rider and showing same trust there now :) thank you for your advice I will probably get someone professional involved to help just hard finding someone experienced in horses with trust issues :)

RosieJM

Visit site
It sounds like she needs further education in terms of a) accepting the movement/noise/sight/feeling of a rider on her back and relaxing about it and b) what legs mean and c) being bold enough to move forward.

I would definitely be longlining, if you are experienced with it to help with movement and get her forward. I would do lots of leaning over and bumping her about. I might do some ponying her off an older horse out for hacks and leaning over her back to give her a rub often. I thin riding her would be a two person job for a while, one on the ground to be in charge of her movement and the one on top just sitting securely and softly until her back muscles and ribs etc relax and swing along and then start to move control onto the rider and teach what the leg aids mean by backing them up from the ground every time (say, on the lunge or in a RP with ground person walking behind and supporting forward movement)

This sounds like it could go wrong as it is so I would definitely get a careful plan in place rather than just carry on trying, as you have a horse who seems to not know what foward means, not be brave enough to move forward, and panic about certain movements of the rider - so it might be when she does start moving, she really worries and learns to get rid of you. Better to be on the safe side. Good luck and stay safe :)