Young horse unlevel?

CPW

Visit site
I have been to see a horse a couple of times now which I really like and hope to buy. He is a five year old and coming from a very reputable dealer. I have noticed the last couple of visits that in walk on his right hind every now and again he takes a very short stride mainly when he is being picked up in front - he drags both toes a bit in trot but he is a big horse and needs alot of strengthening - is this just him becoming unbalanced and getting used to his big frame and or is this something else????

Halfstep

Visit site
Big, young horse, dragging toes and taking a short stride with one hind leg - I would be concerned about OCD in stifles or hocks and would want very good x-rays first.

Flame_

Visit site
IMO you'd be better keeping looking for a young horse who moves freely and isn't unlevel. They do exist, you'll come across one eventually, why take the risk?
wink.gif

pinktiger

Visit site
the last thing 'really' that a young horse should be is not 'free' in his movement, strengthening isnt to build up his muscle to carry his frame,its to prep him for his working life ( a long one hopefully) he should be carrying his frame now and naturally> sorry> a quick jog in the opposite direction would be my advice!!!