young pony!!!

hannah12

Visit site
Okay so I ride a six year old cob and hes 14.1hh. I ride him for my mum's friend as her daughter recently decided she didn't want to ride him any more after she taught him some bad habbit's. These include things like 'bombing' off when out hacking, refusing to go second in the hack and rearing up etc when you don't let him run off with you. At the moment he's only ridden in a snaffle and I believe he needs something stronger as you have no control over him at all:(
Recently its become more dangerous, he ran off with me once and didn't stop until we got to the top of the hill no matter how hard I tried, luckily there was no one out walking so it wasn't dangerous for anyone else.

I guess my question is,
what bits would you all recommend? and how do I convince his owner he needs something stronger? as she doesn't listen to me, just says he's too young! she said she would buy a martingale but I know he would snap it hes that strong:/ x

Jools2345

Visit site
at that age it could be teeth issues, i would get them checked and then go back to doing more schooling on hacks and at home, i would be very reluctant to put a stronger bit in as it will just create a hard mouth, a soft mouth in a youngster is created by a healthy mouth, a gentle bit, teaching the horse what you want and soft/giving hands.

i would be more inclined to do the above and add a martingale

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I mostly agree with Jools.

However if his teeth are fine, I would be tempted to try a different bit as some horses don't like jointed bits.

There is no point in sticking to a snaffle if you are hauling on it. Far better to try something else (eg a Kimblewick) to see if the horse likes it. Also if you only need light rein aids with it, it will end up being far kinder on the horse's mouth despite being a 'stronger' bit.

Another option to try would be a Kineton noseband.

I also think that this horse needs to be trained properly. I suggest that you have regular lessons on the pony with a good instructor. The instructor should also be able to help you find a different bit, if it is required.

Jools2345

Visit site
I mostly agree with Jools.

However if his teeth are fine, I would be tempted to try a different bit as some horses don't like jointed bits.

There is no point in sticking to a snaffle if you are hauling on it. Far better to try something else (eg a Kimblewick) to see if the horse likes it. Also if you only need light rein aids with it, it will end up being far kinder on the horse's mouth despite being a 'stronger' bit.

Another option to try would be a Kineton noseband.

I also think that this horse needs to be trained properly. I suggest that you have regular lessons on the pony with a good instructor. The instructor should also be able to help you find a different bit, if it is required.

good advice

nixxyz

Visit site
Ditto above about getting an instructor.
The other thing it could be with him still being young is that he may have changed shape so his saddle may no longer fit. Personally if he were mine id get everything checked to rule out pain before calling it behavioural. A good instructor should pick up if he's unhappy with his tack etc.

hannah12

Visit site
Thankyou; I will try to explain all this to his owner! I automatically thought it was because the girl that broke him in said she taught him to do these things! Could going back to the basics in an arena with an instructor work?