Youngster Biting

MrsT2013

New User
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and would love to pick your brains.

So I have a lovley Connie X ISH who is 4.5 years old. He's amazing however has recently started to bite. It started off as just generally grabbing things (i.e headcollar, rugs, clothes etc..), then nipping, and now its biting (as in ears back and will lunge).

I've had his teeth done, back done, tack done all within the last 2 weeks so I know all that is fine. Just looking for some advice on how too stop this before it gets worse.

Thanks

Equi

Visit site
Is he doing it at any particular times i.e. being haltered/fed, are you doing any particular thing with him such as grooming?

CMcC

Visit site
Without being overly tense about it, my advice is to never drop your guard around this horse.
When a bite or a nip happens, put all your fingertips together and thump him with the tips of your fingers.
Not talking about beating him, just give him a thump that means business, on the muzzle if possible.

This, the stand and wait till his ears go forward and lots of praise, scratches etc

MrsT2013

New User
Visit site
Is he doing it at any particular times i.e. being haltered/fed, are you doing any particular thing with him such as grooming?
He grabs the halter when trying to put it on, and will bite when I initially start leading him. And tonight was the first time he did it when grooming in the stable.

I've tried various methods from different people. Ive done the loud No and big body language. Did nothing.
Ive smacked him on the shoulder and he either ignores it, bites again or walks off.
Tried smacking him on the muzzle (not a hard smack) and this results in him either turning round on me, biting again but becoming quicker or then hnd shy.

Equi

Visit site
He is getting inconsistent training possibly. Use a halter with a neck and nose buckle, put the neck bit on first then the nose. If he starts snapping when you are doing the nose bit you have the ability to use the neck bit to give him a short sharp jab with it just to break his concentration. Repeat until he stands. Make sure you never give him treat by hand for now, and make sure anyone else on the yard knows he is now banned from in hand treats.

MrsT2013

New User
Visit site
He is getting inconsistent training possibly. Use a halter with a neck and nose buckle, put the neck bit on first then the nose. If he starts snapping when you are doing the nose bit you have the ability to use the neck bit to give him a short sharp jab with it just to break his concentration. Repeat until he stands. Make sure you never give him treat by hand for now, and make sure anyone else on the yard knows he is now banned from in hand treats.

Thank you. I will try this. Have just sent a message to our yard chat to say he’s now on a treat ban so that’s it now ?

cauda equina

Visit site
When my lovely youngster started biting the vet advised trying AcidEase
We did, and the biting and general grumpy behaviour stopped

Fiona1967

New User
Visit site
If anyone has some advice please I have an 18 month old gelding that is going through the biting and mouthing at present any help much appreciated

ihatework

Visit site
If anyone has some advice please I have an 18 month old gelding that is going through the biting and mouthing at present any help much appreciated

Dont engage in it, push his head away and don’t make it into a game. Walk away if necessary. If it persists and becomes more bitey than mouthy then let them get a gobful of pointy elbow or stiff brush whilst then ignore them.

I generally deal with this as foals. They get a flick on the chin or their whiskers pulled if they try the bitey game, which most invariably do at some point

paddy555

Visit site
He grabs the halter when trying to put it on, and will bite when I initially start leading him. And tonight was the first time he did it when grooming in the stable.

I've tried various methods from different people. Ive done the loud No and big body language. Did nothing.
Ive smacked him on the shoulder and he either ignores it, bites again or walks off.
Tried smacking him on the muzzle (not a hard smack) and this results in him either turning round on me, biting again but becoming quicker or then hnd shy.

a kick with your foot on his leg and "no". If that doesn't surprise him then I would have him backing very quickly out of my space with whatever force/voice it took. He lunges at you and finds himself going backwards immediately.
I would set him up for it, get yourself ready and do it once very hard. Not a tap which will mean him coming back at you for more but a hard slap with the rope or whatever else is to hand and backwards to really get the message across.

Batgirl

Visit site
I also lead from the underside of the headcollar (with leadrope in left hand, headcollar in right) so there is nothing to bite and I can keep their attention. Absolutely no treats from hand. Huge amounts of patience when leading and putting on head collar to stop or correct. Every time they bite or do something undesirable while being handled and aren't corrected the behaviour is essentially reinforced.