Youngster - How much work?

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
I bought a very large ID gelding in November who is destined to be my husbands hunter and an all-round RC horse, he will be 5 in June and must be nearly 18hh. He is very willing but clearly a cumbersome baby but one of the most delightful horses I have had the pleasure of owning.

I am trying to be sensible and not do too much. He is doing RC once a week, flat or poles with the odd small jump thrown in plus hacking 3 times a week of about an hour with the odd longer hack thrown in mainly walking. He did his first RC walk trot dressage competition last weekend and was fab and came 4th. He is in at night and out during the day.

I do not want to over do things and damage joints etc. What are peoples thoughts and experiences.....?:)

Brummyrat

Visit site
Your boy is a couple of months younger than mine and I do about the same, for the same reasons. Mine is only 14.3 and quite a light framed Section D, I know people who do LOADS more with theirs but I intend to keep my baby forever and am terrified of doing too much. We have a lesson, about 30 minutes, usually once a week sometimes once a fortnight. Then I do a bit in the school one other night (I can only ride in the evenings in the week) then at the weekend we hack in walk. I can't go far as I don't want to meet any busy roads yet but Im happy to wait. The only time this changes is if my friend's lightweight teenager comes one other weeknight and pops him over some poles but even then he does 15 minutes maximum. Well done on your competition!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
it will be another 4 years before he matures . Remember that at all times and you wont go wrong.

Very wise advice and I will add 'the less they do before 5 the more they will do after 15'.

I had an 18h RID Embla George x Embla Daisy (Colman). He was 8 before he matured and I had to be very careful with his work load.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
That's great thanks, I seem to be on the right track. The riding club instructor is saying to jump him in the next few weeks. I know he did more than I would have liked with his previous owner so am confident he will do no problem but I don't want to rush him.

DappleGreyDaydreamer

Visit site
My youngster's a bit older than yours (5 and 1/2) but I've always been careful with his workload. Seems we're doing similar to you at the moment. I make sure that weekly I always fit in a lunge, one flatwork ride, one hack and one session of polework and jumping, depending on my school schedule. He always has Fridays off, and will often have Tuesday off as well. I never ride for longer than half an hour with him, hacks can be longer but we only hack in walk, and when we have our monthly lesson it can be 45 minutes, but he has the day off afterwards.

I agree about being as careful as possible, you have a long way to go until he'll be a fully matured horse and the better you manage him now, the better horse you'll produce in a few years time! Good luck :D enjoy your time with your baby!

Bernster

Visit site
I'm a year further on than you, having bought mine this time last year, although mine's a dinky 16.1 in comparison, but still similar in many ways to what you're talking about OP. I'd say I did similar. I do 2 flatwork sessions a week so 1 more than you I think, but kept them short and gradual. We're now at 40 mins ish and asking a little more in the school but still only 2 a week for flatwork, with hacking out 2/3 a week and now doing clinics and training shows 1/2 a month. He's feeling much stronger and more balanced and I'm planning on an extra ground work session a week which I probably should have been doing more of. And doing a few baby comps and outings.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
if at all possible my 4yo does 2 hacks per week, 1 hour each walk only.

however i struggle to find 2 days i can ride in daylight at the moment so some weeks he only manages one hack but once the clocks go forward he will hack twice a week definitely.

then 2 or 3 20/30min schooling sessions. 1 will be poles or a tiny jump or working round flags or umbrellas or something silly and fun.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
I don't have a school so I will have to wait for the ground to dry out before I do lunge work - think I might start with 2 lunge lines due to his size!
Having read everyone's thoughts I think I might scale back on the riding club sessions as they are an hour and he does get quite tired.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
to tell the truth with large ones it is the circling which makes most of the joint damage. if you can school on the hack forward and straightness, leg yielding etc, keep the bending for your weekly lesson to keep him out and about with his education and i would limit the lunging, a 20 meter circle with a small frame 15.2 will have less stress on the joints than a ID 18hh.
if he tired for the hr mention this to instructor and sit the last 15min out if possible in the school, with all the rest continuing, a good lesson for the hunt field to stay were put.

through the summer longer hacks, variation in speed and a bit of cubbing in the autumn

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Sounds like a plan. He is destined to be a hunter, predominantly for my husband. He went out with a drag pack with his previous owner and his brain fell out, so not sure if he will be ready for the autumn, it would be nice if he is, but I'm in no hurry.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sounds like a plan. He is destined to be a hunter, predominantly for my husband. He went out with a drag pack with his previous owner and his brain fell out, so not sure if he will be ready for the autumn, it would be nice if he is, but I'm in no hurry.

Would love to see a picture, do you know how he is bred.