Youngster running in front while leading

vikkibeth

Visit site
Hi, my 3yr old welsh D has taken to running in front when being led out out of her field and the will try to run round in a circle. She has only just started doing this and was spot on beforehand so she's just trying to push boundaries. She lives with another mare who doesn't help matters by calling out to her and then our field is the furthest away so have to pass all the other liveries as well. Have tried leading her out first and last but both ways she does it. What can I do to try to teach her not to do this and prevent it from becoming dangerous.

JillA

Visit site
She is no longer respecting your space. There is a really good exercise Mark Rashid does which works like a dream, and very quickly if your timing is good. First of all decide what is your space - for me it is how far I can reach with arms outstretched. You need to be consistent in this so she can learn where not to be. Then in a safe placed such as a manege or schooling area lead her from in front, on a loose rein, and have a spare lead rope or the end of a very long one between your hands. If she gets too close, turn and block her with the rope between your outstretched hands, and if necessary back her up out of the banned area. If your timing is good (and you have eyes in the back of your head lol) after a small number of repetitions, she will be following your lead without barging. If she does feel the need to move her feet because of something exciting, she will know to keep clear of you and keep you safe.
It's easier to show than describe!!

soulfull

Visit site
There are several ways to deal with this. Ideally you need to start away from the situation. So take her away from it nd do some ground work exercises teach her to back up, walk and stop behind you when you stop etc etc
Kelly Marks book perfect manners is really worth buying !

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
She is no longer respecting your space. There is a really good exercise Mark Rashid does which works like a dream, and very quickly if your timing is good. First of all decide what is your space - for me it is how far I can reach with arms outstretched. You need to be consistent in this so she can learn where not to be. Then in a safe placed such as a manege or schooling area lead her from in front, on a loose rein, and have a spare lead rope or the end of a very long one between your hands. If she gets too close, turn and block her with the rope between your outstretched hands, and if necessary back her up out of the banned area. If your timing is good (and you have eyes in the back of your head lol) after a small number of repetitions, she will be following your lead without barging. If she does feel the need to move her feet because of something exciting, she will know to keep clear of you and keep you safe.
It's easier to show than describe!!

this.

backing them up out the banned area in a nice calm but black and white manner :)