Youngster

SpeedyPony

Visit site
By bolt I presume you mean more tank-off, not just running in a blind panic? That's probably more of a schooling issue, but a change of bit might well help with reschooling.
Without more info it's not easy to make any suggestions, how is he strong? Does he lean on the bit, throw his head up or down, set his neck? The appropriate bit will depend greatly on the above, as the action of the bit may help some problems and worsen others (ie curbs lower the head, which isn't ideal if the horse drops his head to tank-off)

Wishfilly

Visit site
If the horse is genuinely bolting, not just tanking off with you, a bit is not going to solve this.

I think a lot more information is needed to provide useful suggestions. What tack do you currently ride in? What bit does he use at the moment? When does he run off with you and what does he do when this happens?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
With a young horse, I’d want to teach it to be more responsive to pressure rather than opt for a different bit.

Once they have become desensitized to pressure, it takes a lot to get them to be really light again.

I would teach from the ground first.

Becky1200

Visit site
By bolt I presume you mean more tank-off, not just running in a blind panic? That's probably more of a schooling issue, but a change of bit might well help with reschooling.
Without more info it's not easy to make any suggestions, how is he strong? Does he lean on the bit, throw his head up or down, set his neck? The appropriate bit will depend greatly on the above, as the action of the bit may help some problems and worsen others (ie curbs lower the head, which isn't ideal if the horse drops his head to tank-off)
Thanks for the help- I would say he puts his head up and then will just go he is currently in a universal which is what was suggested when I sent him to be rebacked.

Becky1200

Visit site
If the horse is genuinely bolting, not just tanking off with you, a bit is not going to solve this.

I think a lot more information is needed to provide useful suggestions. What tack do you currently ride in? What bit does he use at the moment? When does he run off with you and what does he do when this happens?

He is currently ridden in a universal bit, no extras apart from saddle abs bridle, he will do it when he goes to the top of the field he will turn and bolt to the bottom it’s usually when we are just in walk. I realise a bit won’t solve the issue but wanted to suggestions on other ones to try that might help. He has started to do it when being long lined as well.

View

Visit site
What makes you think he is bolting rather than just tanking off with you? If a horse is truly bolting, he/she is flat out, not looking after their own safety and will literally go through walls/gates/fences etc, head first into trees. But from post 7, it sounds as though he does actually stop and has some sense of self-preservation, so not actually bolting - just tanking off.

Please don't label this horse as a bolter if he is not. There is no cure for a true bolter - the only safe resolution is PTS.

The more information that you can provide, the better the suggestions that can be made, but honestly, you need a good instructor to work with you to resolve this. You say that he does this at the top of the field and then tanks off to the bottom. So my first suggestion is don't set you and him up to fail. Don't take him to the top of the field - find another location in which to work with him.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Thanks for the help- I would say he puts his head up and then will just go he is currently in a universal which is what was suggested when I sent him to be rebacked.
Hmm, what he's in currently should be providing a bit of leverage to help bring the head down, so I'd definitely recommend getting an instructor in, an extra set of eyes can be really helpful to see where things start to go awry.
Can you circle him? If so I'd suggest getting him on a circle the moment he starts to take off and bringing him back to you that way. Is he napping, for instance is the gate/his field mates down at the bottom of the field? If so it might be an idea to try taking him up to the top of the field with another horse and see if that improves matters, you can gradually work up to taking him there on his own.
You could try a different bit, such as a kimblewick, or see how he responds to a martingale, but it does sound like a schooling issue. I'd be wary of going down the training aids route without a clear plan for reschooling and an idea of how these are going to help you with that, otherwise you might find he just learns to evade the training aid as well as the rider.

Wishfilly

Visit site
He is currently ridden in a universal bit, no extras apart from saddle abs bridle, he will do it when he goes to the top of the field he will turn and bolt to the bottom it’s usually when we are just in walk. I realise a bit won’t solve the issue but wanted to suggestions on other ones to try that might help. He has started to do it when being long lined as well.

If he is always doing it in the same place, is there somewhere else you can work him?

Personally, I would not long line a horse that can/is getting away from you, as I feel this is dangerous for you and the horse.

To me, it sounds like napping (is the bottom of the field closer to home?) rather than true bolting, and I'd definitely get an instructor in to help- possibly the people who rebacked him?

Has he had any vet checks?

If he is throwing his head up, I'd possibly consider trying him in a running martingale? But I don't think a new bit/tack will solve the problem as it sounds like a learnt behaviour/evasion.