Youngsters alone?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The owner of the nanny mare, who has been with Felix and his pal since weaning, has just moved her, as she is needed for companion duties elsewere. It was very sudden so she has only just gone and the 2 yearlings are now on their own. They seem perfectly happy but I am less so! Do yearlings need an older horse with them? Or has the job of teaching them manners been more or less done now? There are other older horses on the farm, but not in their field.

Reactions: tda

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When I worked on a stud once everything was weaned they just went out together in small groups as the mares were often put in foal again and all went out together, occasionally older fillies went out with the mares but colts and geldings just had each other as we didn't really have nanny horses.

They all seemed fine and most go on to be sold into regular horse homes never heard of any issues.

honetpot

Visit site
I would always put in at least a three, and mix them up a bit. If they get too pair bonded, especially fillies it's a nightmare when you split them up, so something that they not that attached to can give them confidence without the angst.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I have no personal experience, but if I recall correctly from my uni years, there have been scientific studies on this. I think they show that youngsters reared without adult presence tended to bite more (both humans and horses) and be more aggressive. I think there was an "ideal" ratio of adults to youngsters for well balanced horses. In the wild most foals would stay with their native bands (in presence of adults) until at least two years old.

tda

Visit site
I have a gang of 3 x yearlings, one filly, one gelding, one colt, they are absolutely fine together, but the filly is coming out very soon, so the two boys will just have each other for now. Until the colt can be gelded they obviously cannot go in with the herd
I would have preferred to have an adult in with them but the pony I have who could do it well needs restricted grazing so not really suitable
They are all polite and not bitey at all with me.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
My herd of four youngsters are all out without an adult (mix of yearling to 3 year olds).

In the ideal world, id be able to chuck the older pony out who would soon sort them out, in nice but direct way! And show them manners, but being a laminitic, has to be managed separately, as the little devils learnt how to remove her grazing muzzle very efficiently, so there went that plan!.

eggs

Visit site
As has already been mentioned I think the biggest issue is having just two of them together as they can get VERY pair bonded. I tended to put the yearlings out with my adult horses but it was easy for me as I keep them all at home and not at livery.