Youngstock livery Yorkshire?

sara_l

Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend somewhere that does youngstock livery in Yorkshire? I'm looking to possibly purchase a fully weanling, and would love to find somewhere where she could live out with other babies, rather than keeping her at a traditional livery yard with no other young horses.

sport horse

Visit site
Please do not keep your weanling in a livery yard - I have seen some terrible accidents. Your weanling needs to be with other horses its own age and maybe the first winter it would need to be barn kept in a small group rather than left in a field (unless it is a native!)

ihatework

Visit site
Please do not keep your weanling in a livery yard - I have seen some terrible accidents. Your weanling needs to be with other horses its own age and maybe the first winter it would need to be barn kept in a small group rather than left in a field (unless it is a native!)

Urm, that’s exactly what the OP is asking for!!! Except for the barn explicitly, which isn’t a necessity if the land and set up is suitable

sport horse

Visit site
Urm, that’s exactly what the OP is asking for!!! Except for the barn explicitly, which isn’t a necessity if the land and set up is suitable

Actually the OP said she 'would prefer to find somewhere rather than keeping it in a livery yard' which is not exactly the same as saying she 'will not' keep it in a livery yard. The last person I suggested did not keep a foal in a livery yard went ahead and did exactly that then rang me for help in rescuing it from a neighbour's field, to where it had been chased over a 5 foot hedge with a ditch and drop on the landing side by the shod horses with which she had turned it out. If I described the scene I was met with as 'like a slaughterhouse' it would not be too incorrect. The owner was hysterical and unable to do a thing to help the poor animal, which was in a muck sweat with pain and terror. The vet and I were left by the owner to sort out the mess as the owner could not bear it! The poor, poor foal spent months at the vet hospital and was scarred for life. I would not want another animal to suffer like that due to an ill advised owner.

You, may not think a barn is a necessity - I breed warmbloods and, in most of the UK, especially in recent wet winters, none of mine would do very well in the first winter if left out in a field 24/7 - other breeds may differ which is why I excluded natives.