Your best description of a half halt in one sentence🙄

canteron

Visit site
So new teacher, new horse, new description, one confused brain. Love to hear Your (hopefully simple) description!!

Or maybe the problem is that is it actually something that has to be tailored to each combination and how they are riding that day and isn't simple???

Reactions: DD

hollyandivy123

Visit site
you start to bring the horse back to the previous pace and then you allow it to continue, so trotting you ask it to slow down for a few strides as though you were about to bring it into walk and then allow the horse forward into trot.....................

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yeah rebalance was my first thought but it's more than that, it's also a go-ey woah, or a woah-ey go😂
I half half if the balance is falling apart but also to increase the power when balance is already good- revving the hindlegs while slowing the front ones. Also to improve connection and thoroughness... that's why it's so complicated to put into a sentence.

I think for me a half halt is a specific moment where you adjust the current pace to develop it or prepare for something.
How you do that depends on the horse, its temperament, degree of training and reactivity.

Good question!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
To bring your horse into an improved state of balance.

I use it for every change of gait, balance, movement, or exercise.

Twohorses

Visit site
The term was not invented when I was learning.

My grandfather used to tell me to "whoa that horse back a little and get his attention."

Or more simply put, In the words of Melody Grey, "Engage brain". :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Tighten the little plastic collar that holds the six tins together. 🤣

JFTDWS

Visit site
"The "and" before the command... "aaand walk". For dressage, I tend to think up not forward - a re-balance.

Sheep

Visit site
Not sure if this is really correct, but for me it is kind of a subtle, momentary & simultaneous contraction of muscles from calf to core inc.triceps & glutes. It works on my 2 anyway!

tristar

Visit site
half halt is what it says on the tin, you do half a halt, but before the horse changes pace you ask it to go forwards again simple

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
'take a breath in the movement'
You know like when you're stretching your body and you inhale then exhale to increase/change the stretch, or when you're doing something intricate with your hands and you take a deep breath to regain the intricacy and control of your hand movements....a half halt is like those take a breath to increase focus moments.

And like MP, sometimes it's an energizing breath and sometimes it's a gathering together to move with more precision and control breath.