Your experience of wolf teeth issues/ extractions etc

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
EDT came round today. On her last visit she said that the pony had two blind wolf teeth but they didn't appear to be causing any problems at all. As he's had a spell of slightly more unpredictable behaviour (ie, when he threw me off last month) I wondered if there might now be a problem. Sure enough, it turns out that he now has one erupted wolf tooth and one blind wolf tooth and the teeth near them are 'shiny' - apparently a sign that they can be grabbing the bit to avoid discomfort.
She asked if he throws his head; he does dislike having his bridle put on but tends to settle down quickly. However, after some discussion we agreed that he should have both teeth removed and I have booked the vet for next week.

Anyone else had a similar experience? And how long did you leave your horse before riding it again? - EDT says about a week is usually enough but that seems like quite a short recovery time! Also, given that the gum will need to be cut to remove the blind tooth, are there any additional issues?

be positive

Visit site
They do heal fairly quickly, the blind one may require a bit longer than a week but should be fine by about 10 days, I always put some salt in the feed and or flush with a syringe full of salt water for a few days after removal, the vet should be able to give you a good idea when he has taken them out as he will be able to see how big, deep the hole is, most are tiny and they are often the most problematic for removal and ridden issues.

Templebar

Visit site
Mine had two (erupted) removed before Christmas, the vet said 10 days, as I was working over Christmas she had two weeks, but didn't surprise me that short.

As I have had some removed myself, I can say that gums have a good blood supply and do heal over very quickly with it quite often having no pain after 24 hr.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Recovery period can be fairly short in the mouth as it heals very quickly. I had 5 removed from 2 ponies last summer - it was a traumatic day! Not least when one of the ponies is a very needle shy mule, 3 IM injections after tablet sedatives to get him snoozy enough!

Asha

Visit site
My 4 yo had hers taken out last week. one had fallen out already, but the other was wobbly. Came out now problem, vet advised 2 weeks before restarting her. Plus a couple of days on bute. She seems ok.

rockysmum

Visit site
Our completely homicidal (to vets) warmblood had one removed with just oral sedative. The vet was present, just in case, while the EDT (who she loves) removed it. I don't know what the vet could have done if it hadn't worked as the horse does not allow her in the stable.

No fuss and she still lets him treat her :D It healed in a few days.

Michen

Visit site
I remember 15 years ago one of the most respected EDTs in Scotland whipped my ponies wolf tooth out with no sedation, nothing! Horse barely noticed if and I still have the tooth! Wouldn't happen now though- with good reason I expect.

PorkChop

Visit site
I remember 15 years ago one of the most respected EDTs in Scotland whipped my ponies wolf tooth out with no sedation, nothing! Horse barely noticed if and I still have the tooth! Wouldn't happen now though- with good reason I expect.

When I first had horses, wolf teeth extraction was rarely performed under sedation, and I never had any problems!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well my experience of not removing them (vets advice!) was a bolting pony and severe concussion! I would ALWAYS have them out now.

Was quite a quick procedure done under sedation. Healing time was pretty quick too although I rode him in a bitless bridle the first few times as he had come to associate the bit with agonising pain bless him.

Clare85

Visit site
We had our pony's teeth rasped this morning and vet says there are two wolf teeth. She advised we don't need to have them out but TBH, we probably will. I'd rather whip them out before she's backed than find they're causing an issue once we start working her, and then have to give her time off. Slightly wary after she had choke this evening though, so still considering options.

matt_m

Visit site
Would always have them out, my mare had hers out and vet recommended 10 days off before coming back into work, I gave 2 weeks to be on the safe side. Such a simple and quick procedure to possibly make your horse more comfortable, I think it is well worth having them out even though they may not cause a problem.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Would always have them out, my mare had hers out and vet recommended 10 days off before coming back into work, I gave 2 weeks to be on the safe side. Such a simple and quick procedure to possibly make your horse more comfortable, I think it is well worth having them out even though they may not cause a problem.

Yes, she gave explained this - if they were both erupted, the EDT would have done it and the vet would do sedation only. But because one of the teeth is blind she said that the vet would have to do the lot because it involves making an incision. What was really helpful was that she recommended a vet (from our practice) who is, apparently, very good with the dental work. She is coming round a week on Friday.
In a way, I really want this to be the explanation for this pony's transformation from total saint to 5% 'devil'... I know there could be a number of reasons but even if it isn't down to the teeth I want to eliminate this as a possible source of pain. The EDT said that if it was her own horse she would definitely have it done and that completely convinced me.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
will never understand why people DONT have them out as they can appear fine but cause discomfort or very quickly go from no pain to major pain...................for erupted ones i would give a week-10 days of no bit, for un-erupted closer to 2 weeks as its just not worth creating the memory of the bit causing pain.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Just to say I also had my boys taken out two years ago, aged 14. I had never bothered in the past as they didn't seem to cause any issues as they were pressed right up against his teeth. Then I had a new EDT who was pretty adamant they should come out, vet didn't really have an opinion on it. But I have to say he has been much better in his mouth since, and much softer - he's not a dressage horse by any means but he resists much less now. Feel that I should have had them done 12 years ago now of course! :eek:

serenityjane

Visit site

EDT has extracted two or three in the last couple of years with no sedation-just quick removal, smallest amount of blood and three days not ridden. Horses were unaware it had happened. All teeth were erupted and tiny.