Best hack

• Total voters

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Perfect Horse

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, read this book too. Horse was absolutely perfect - and jumped over a child at one point to avoid killing it, I think I remember.

Didn't it then have a terrible fright that totally knocked it's confidence????

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that's the one! you've got a better memory than me... i'll have to go and hunt the book out now. (i still have all my pony books, how sad is that?!)

foxhunter90205, yes, Minos, that was him. still looking for a Minos, must admit!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Perfect Horse

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, read this book too. Horse was absolutely perfect - and jumped over a child at one point to avoid killing it, I think I remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that's the one! you've got a better memory than me... i'll have to go and hunt the book out now. (i still have all my pony books, how sad is that?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The book left a massive impact on me!

I'm hoping that all my books are still in my mum's attic. Time for a hunt I think.

foxhunter19205

Visit site
I am 47 and if I see a book stall anywhere, or charity shop, I still buy pony books. I have all of mine on a special book case (now that is sad) and my kids are only allowed to read certain ones as they are all very worn and well loved. Last week I read Goodbye to Hounds (they make excellent reading in the bath, as you can do one a night!)

EarlGrey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Black beauty is too sad, and still can't read that bit in Riders with Sailor dying - makes me cry
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god someone else thinks Black Beauty is too sad! My heart used to break everytime I read the book or saw the film. Now I refuse to watch or read.

Als cried when Sailor died.
frown.gif

And I know not fictional, but I loved Phar Lap. Anyone remember him? I love the film but always turn it off just before he dies. I like to think he retired and lived the rest of his days in a big green field!
frown.gif

hussar

Visit site
That was a tough one but after much thought I voted for the Maltese Cat.

I also loved the Silver Brumby series, and I preferred Thunderhead (Flicka's son) to Flicka!

Nats_uk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shantih the arab from the Patricia Leitch books
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with that and also:
The Black Stallion
Fly-by-night

Cop-Pop

Visit site
The Black Stallion is my favourite and also the bay horse from one of the Pullen Thompson sisters boks - the book was 'borrowed' when I was little and I haven't read it since so I can't remember what he was called
frown.gif
He went to this family to be broken in or schooled and when he went back he escaped and made his way back then was in a film
smile.gif
Also Cavalier (aka Toastrack) - my mum had his books when she was little and passed them on to me
smile.gif

Rollin

Visit site
My favourite sotry was called 'Drinker or King of the Wind' but can no longer find a reference to it.

It was the story of how the Goldolphin Arabian arrived in Britain and contributed to the making of the thoroughbred.

Don't know the author but if anyone has a copy please post details. Must be 40 years since I read it.

Erehwemos

Visit site
I always loved Stardust, the little Arab mare in the Pony Club Trilogy by Josephine Pullein Thompson
smile.gif

And a horse called Daybreak...in another PT book which I cannot remember!
blush.gif

But out of the HHO list, I picked Sailor
smile.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My choice would have been Pegasus. That horse would be able to clear any fence and certainly in the earliest literature.
Saddle fitting might be a problem though
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My favourite sotry was called 'Drinker or King of the Wind' but can no longer find a reference to it.

It was the story of how the Goldolphin Arabian arrived in Britain and contributed to the making of the thoroughbred.

Don't know the author but if anyone has a copy please post details. Must be 40 years since I read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go, and still available King of the Wind

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Daybreak appears in We Hunted Hounds and Goodbye to Hounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!
smile.gif

Is that the same grey Daybreak, who was bought from a market, and who they couldnt use a browband on - they thought initially that he had a brain tumour???

joy

Visit site
Ginger from BB
Moorland Mousie
Black Boy and Rapide

And Golly the naughty pony from Radney Riding Club

Apalacia01

Visit site
Haha, I have King of the Wind - good read.

My ultimate favorite is the Black Stallion - I have, and have read the entire collection, and love the movie. Who could turn down a cantankerous, but stunningly handsome horse? Really is my favorite, closely followed by Black Beauty - but can't deal with Ginger's death. Gets me everytime.

I don't think they sell Jilly Cooper here in the States, but I am sure I have read Riders...but nothing standing out. Will go mosey on Amazon.

foxhunter19205

Visit site
OOOPS! I was so excited and lost in the past that I got confused! Daybreak was in I Wanted a Pony, and I presume Three Ponies and Shannon, A Pony to School and Only a Pony (same series)
Daystar was in the hunting ones.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Perfect Horse

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The book left a massive impact on me!

I'm hoping that all my books are still in my mum's attic. Time for a hunt I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I've read that too, wasn't he a dun horse that went round Badminton?

savannahmelody

Visit site
voted for flicka but i also preferred thunderhead.
am going to hunt for the book with the dun horse in though as it sounds fab.
apologies for lack of capitals got two toddlers sat on me and only one hand free.

Doris68

Visit site
What about Black Boy and Rapide from the Jill books by Ruby Ferguson.

Then there was a horse called Monty (he had feet like soup plates!!) in the one of the Pullein-Thompson books....I think?? Possibly the Trelawny family???

Can anyone remember?