Your Favourtie Rare Breeds....

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
My favourite of the rare breeds are Dales, Suffolks and Shires, always have been. If I won the lottery I would breed rare breeds :)

Sorry that is 3, if I had to choose one, it would be Dales

cob and caspian

New User
Visit site
We have a Caspian. Lots of them in the UK aren't ridden, but our orange monster is, when it suits him. He is a bit nappy off lead rein, mostly they are great childrens riding horses (they are not ponies even though only get to about 12hh). Ours is a real one person horse, and I love him to bits, he is a very complex character and hates change, but a great friend. The Caspian Horse website is very good, they were thought to be extinct and were rediscovered in the 1960s. Will add a picture when I work out how!

Trakehner

Visit site
I had 3 lovely shires, an 18.3 mare, 18 hand gelding for driving and a young colt who at 2 was 17.2 and growing. Finding a farrier was a nightmare, even though my Shires were well trained, I was charged bad horse prices.

Had a Gelderlander as another driving horse (he'd never been backed). A great and game horse I could drive anywhere. Huge dark eyes, a beautiful and sweet gelding.

I've also been owned by a gaited mule. Dam was a Tennessee Walking Horse and he got his gaited movement from her. A very funny animal who loved to go for a hack.

One problem with Akhel Tekke's, they have a problem in their shoulder which when they're heavily used can cause permanent lameness. Neat horses though, in Turkmenistan they treat them horribly. They race them and when they're no longer fast or their shoulders go, they're turned out to starve to death. They also don't vaccinate their horses. My wife had several people in Turmentistan and they leased Akhels...we helped them sneak vaccines in-country to give to their horses. The Turkmenbashi (the old leader of the country) would not allow the breed to leave the country, so all the Akhels you see are typically from Russia.

Last edited:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Suffolk Punches - rarer than the giant panda - more people please breed them!!

Versatile too - saw a Suff x TB youngster at the Suffolk spectacular (gathering late summer every year where you can see lots of them brought together and see demos of different disciplines using them), and he was STUNNING.

Cleveland Bays - to me the most beautiful and noble breed and again critically endangered

Both these breeds have websites although I would like to see the for sale lists on them having prices stated as I think not knowing that puts a lot of people off as they dont want to ring up and then be embarrassed if it is too high.

And Eriskays - lovely wee things!

But I did very much like this Clydesdale - in the march over the hills and then come down to the Lonach Games near us in Aberdeenshire
WesterBraeheadAutumn2008170.jpg

Loopypony

Visit site
Got to be the Suffolk Punch, I used to work at a SP Stud local to me and I found the breed absolutely fascinating! All such lovely horses, can't see why more people don't appreciate them really.

Then there's the shires, clydes (noticing a theme here?!), and I do love a nice Exmoor.

Thanks to whomever posted the link to the rare breeds website - shocked to see shetland ponies on there! (albeit not quite on the 'at risk'). It's a shame that the good, old fashioned proper standard shetland is reducing in numbers. I have one myself and think she's fantastic!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Its got to be the hackney for me, look how far they go back in the article below.

"The evolution of the Hackney horse into the high performance harness horse, ballerina of the show that we know today has been long and fascinating. The word 'Hackney' comes from the French "haquenee", a language commonly spoken in England in Medieval times. This describes a riding horse with a particularly comfortable trot or amble and over the years the term became synonymous with a general purpose ridden and driven animal whose stamina and soundness were greatly admired and whose favoured pace was the trot. These horses were just at home taking the farmer to market, working on the farm or enjoying a days hunting. These early ancestors of the Hackney were highly thought of by the monarchs of the time, with Henry VII, Henry VIII and Elisabeth I all passing acts concerning horse breeding and the value of the Hackney."
They are truly fantastic driving horses, and the one pictured here, was good enough to qualify for dressage Championships under saddle.

ozzy3.jpg

ozzypics003.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
The Irish draught just wonderful
The Suffolk punch if I win the lottery I will try to buy a mare and breed some.
The Clydesdale because I have a Clydesdale cross welsh section D and hes a nice chap.

Irishdan

Visit site
Are Clydesdales and Highlands really that rare??

My OH bought a Rocky Mountain horse last year. I dont think there are many of them in the Uk :)

6175514519_3a4e79fb4c_z.jpg

Shellby27

Visit site
Anyone else old enough to remember the Observer's book of Horse breeds?

When I was a little kid - it was my bible :) I was always drawn to the Akele Teke - despite the one and only black and white picture!

Obviously for me Exmoors are an everyday thing and my own mare's field companion is a Cleveland bay plus I had a neighbour who had x bred one - both very stubborn and lazy.

But I do love a true Dartmoor - so few and far between now. My first pony was a true Dartmoor and the most stubborn, bad tempered thing you could come across but My God he taught me to ride! :rolleyes:

I remember that book! It was my mums and I loved it so much as a child! Think its still knocking around somewhere :)