Your help is needed please

Pacey

Visit site
Mods, please make this a sticky if applicable.

Last March, my sister, Rebecca, had a near fatal riding accident. I have not posted this picture directly, as it requires a pretty strong stomach, but this is the aftermath of my sister's injuries.

Do not look if you are queazy.

<font color="blue">Image of Rebecca's injuries</font>

In a wooded area in the middle of nowhere, my two older sisters were riding their horses. They had ridden miles and miles that day, and, being only 15 minutes from home, they went for one last canter up a hill they knew well.

We'll never know exactly what happened, but Rebecca was thrown from her horse into a tree.

She thought she was ok - just badly winded - and got up and tried to walk it off.

When she began feeling worse, she had to lay down, faint, and much to her dismay, she wet herself. A sign of the body going into shock.

My other sister called 999 immediately, but due to the nature of the land, the ambulance which was sent stopped approximately a mile from where my sister was.

The Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance was called.

They saved my sister's life.

Landing in a nearby field, my sister was put on a stretcher and every precaution taken in case of spinal injury.

I remember hearing one of the crew looking at her waist and saying 'She has fluid gathered here, it looks like internal bleeding'.

They moved quickly and flew my sister off to the Queens Medical Centre. The ambulance man said this journey would take just over one minute - a journey that would take nearly half an hour by car.

My sister was in intensive care for days, on a ventilator so she would keep breathing, and after several 'damage limitation' operations, it was decided that they would have to remove half her liver in order to stop the bleeding.

My sister now has a scar from her sternum to below her belly button. This was a major injury.

But, due to the fast action of the Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance, my sister lived.

UNBELIEVABLY, THE AIR AMBULANCE IS NOT GOVERNMENT FUNDED, NOR IS IT LOTTERY FUNDED. IT IS FUNDED ENTIRELY BY CHARITY DONATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC

There is only one Air Ambulance in the Notts and Lincs area, and they provide countless assistance to horse riders, motorcyclists and other individuals who are inaccessible by normal ambulances.

This April, our Rebecca is running the London Marathon in aid of the Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance.

She needs to raise £1500 before the marathon - but this is a tiny percentage of the £1.3 million the Air Ambulance needs annually in order to stay in our skies.

Please donate WHATEVER YOU CAN to this amazing charity and to my sister's fundraising efforts for them. As little or as much as you can.

To donate or read Rebecca's account of her accident, follow this link:
<font color="blue">http://www.justgiving.com/keep-us-flying </font>

I sincerely hope no one on HHO needs to call on the air ambulance in their lifetime, but should that fateful day come, a service like this is the best available and as horse riders I feel we should support them wholeheartedly.

PM me if you need more information about myself, my sister, the accident.

Please also add your experiences of the Air Ambulance below

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your time.

Tandp
smile.gif

And Rebecca of course!

17360_100829079946944_100000595577779_20104_2726492_n.jpg

I know I'm a lurker rather than a poster on HHO, but I know you are all up for a good cause too.

If any HHO members reading this are also members of other forums, you may have seen this post already. I'm sorry for this!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
living where we do the air ambulance is a regular visitor in the area. every year we donate half of proceedingsfrom a hunt ride to them. i think its disgusting that its not government funded!!

quirky

Visit site
We had the NW Air Amubulance to our yard after a clipping incident.
I won't go into details as I wasn't the person involved.

We now have an annual fund raising fun night at our yard, doing games and races.

In the grand scheme of things, we don't raise alot but every little helps and the Air Ambulance always seem greatful for our donation.

Ravenwood

Visit site
The air ambulance is unbelievably important to us and as such most charity events in our area support them.

Having had a chat to the guys who landed here once to help a fallen rider I was shocked to hear just how much each call out costs and that it is all charity funded.

I am so glad that your sister recovered and applaud her for her charity efforts - it really is an immensely important service to the rural areas that most of us live in.

suzysparkle

Visit site
What a brilliant supportive post I will go and have a look. Best of luck to her for the run!! I hope people remember this when they moan about low flying helicopters / aircraft and their obvious need both for duty and practice!