Your horse live report

Supertrooper

Visit site
Much less busy this year, thank god!!!!!

Had a really great day, the last couple of years I've not enjoyed it so much and I debated this year about going but as it's five mins from me I thought I'd regret not going.

I got everything I wanted, apart from gloves but this is what I came home with......

A rydale coat £40
A regatta soft shell coat £15
A ear warmer headband thing £10
Hovis's new book ❤️❤️

A toy for the ginger pony that you stuff hay in, bit like the decahedron toys but much bigger (caused the lads much confusion and hilarity at the shop & drop) £50
Some new Equilibrium low sugar treats for him - everyone was buying them!!!
Two pots (buy one get one free) Yumove active joint supplement

And I still came home with money in my purse 😝😝

I watched Karen Dixon demo about training ex racers - very interesting although uses lots of gadgets

Listened to Alan Davies talk which again was really interesting. I'd love him to write a book. He's so dedicated and it's great how high profile grooms are becoming

And then the afternoon demos, Geoff was very funny. Firstly he came in riding HOVIS!!!!! Who loved the limelight bless him. Then Geoff had six children riding their ponies, three 12.2hh and three 14.2hh over a course of huge fences, very feisty ponies and kids!! Then Geoff rode two also.

Really enjoyed Charlottes demo this year, she came across much better this year and she was riding too rather than teaching someone. She was riding a beautiful but very sensitive black gelding called Vogue, only seven and she said he was very very difficult as a youngster but you could really see the trust they had in each other and that even as a top rider you don't get the easy ones. Really learnt a lot.

Fab day all round xxx

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
It wasn't great. Lots of people trying to go into the main entrance but not allowed in. We queued for a while and then ageing when we were asked to go back out. Not ideal. I still have no idea where car park 3 is!!!

Darbs

Visit site
For those that went today, what were the roads like? We are coming from the south?

We went today at peak entry time around 09:30. The roads were completely clear. Off the A46 follow the signs, take the A452 then follow the signs to the visitors parking up the B4115, this was the signed route but nobody seemed to be following it, we were the only car on that road and drove right up to the gate then straight onto the parking field. This may be why the instructions say don't follow the sat nav for the last few miles. We followed the signs and drove straight in without stopping once.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Traffic getting in was absolutely fine today at 9am, as was the traffic leaving at 5pm. Ground in the carpark was holding up well too, no one seemed to be struggling to get out.

Shopping wise there was loads of great stands, plenty of good prices and choice. I had an enoyable day btu did so much shopping and browsing that I didnt make it into any of the demos, did see a fair few of the big names around the show though so plenty photo opportunities for people who liked that sort of thing.

I came home with:-
Le mieux merino+ suede close contact saddle pad £50
Le mieux acavallo gel out seat saver £30
Lead rope £5
English Bridles cavesson bridle £40
Mark Todd leather gloves £7.20
Mark Todd winter gloves £10

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If it helps, we went up from West Sussex yesterday & although M25 /Heathrow was as you'd expect on a Friday afternoon/evening it was an easy run from there. An even easier run home today! Getting to YHL was fine, only a small queue but we got there early as we had Standard Plus (guaranteed seats) for all morning performances. Not sure how busy it was later on.

Seeing Geoff B on Hovis was brilliant! Charlotte DJ was really interesting on two young horses & in insight into gow she trains younger horses. Lorenzo the Flying Frenchman stole the show for me though - absolutely amazing :)

Shopping was great as always - lots of bargains! I got a Le Miuex saddle cloth, Sealskinz gloves, long riding socks, Cavallo fleece jacket to match the saddlecloth, treat ball & treats, English leather hunter bridle & some new high viz as mine has seen better days. All bar the saddle cloth was significantly reduced :)

Great day out as always!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
We got there at 11am and there was no traffic getting there, no queuing to get in either.
My top tip is head to Horse Health stand ASAP, amazing bargains on Le Mieux stuff there, but everything was going v quickly and it was super busy, people were like vultures rooting through the bargain bins of boots!
Also Equisafety stand were doing some great bargains on hi viz- I got a tabard for £5 because it needed new batteries for the flashing lights, and then she threw in a neck strap for £3! Bargain!
I ended up counteracting my bargains by splashing out way too much money on a Kate Negus bridle. They're making it to measure as she has a funny shaped head, but cannot wait for it to arrive! 😊
Was a fab day out, never been before but would deffo go again!
It got very warm- I was wrapped up for cold weather but ended up carrying my coat around all day.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
We got there at 12pm

Got a few good things.
Exercise sheet
Two pairs of slippers for mum
Two of hovis books we havent got (plus family photo😊😎)
Sister got yard boots and a handbag.

We only spayed two and a half hours, saw hovis, had a cuddle with the rare breeds and then went shopping, as both mum and brother being disabled can't do alot more.

Next year will do the bits we didn't do this year.

Parking for us was okay but they need to have a bigger disabled area as they kept filling up and we're sending them further and further away.
We didn't try to get into any demos as mum and brother would not be able to stand all that time in the lines waiting to get in.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
My top tip is head to Horse Health stand ASAP, amazing bargains on Le Mieux stuff there, but everything was going v quickly and it was super busy, people were like vultures rooting through the bargain bins of boots!

I second this top tip! We headed straight to Horse Health sale stand and it was already rammed with people. Thats where I managed to grab my seat saver, there were three on the rail, two gel in and one gel out. I picked up the gel out to look at to decide if i wanted that or the gel in and when I looked up again the other two had gone, lol! It looks like it's a ex display one as it's slightly faded on the cantle area but for half the original price I wasnt complaining :D

soulfull

Visit site
Good day. Disappointed not to see Valegro as can't make it to Olympia
I was sure they advertised earlier in the year he would be there. I've seen him a few times so don't know why I'm bothered lol

Watched 3/4 Geoff so missed the best bit him riding Hovis:(
Rest was average. Seen MUCH better Geoff demos

Guy with loads of free horses (forgot his name) demo was lovely

Shopping was good and plentiful
New Horze coat for me 3/4 length £50 from value equestrian (worth a look but busy)
Hi viz winter super size sheet £40
Lemieux sheepskin girth all in one £40 from horse health. Wow the bargains are fab there
Ordered lovely bridle from English Bridles £120

As I spent £300 on all in one PE rug earlier in the week I'm so glad I'm single and don't have to admit it haha

Of course met the lovely ever so cuddly Hovis. Who made me laugh when I stopped fussing him he gently kicked the door lmao

As I park on disabled are park I can't comment on parking but traffic into main entrance was a short queue

Coblover63

Visit site
Not impressed with Karen Dixon. She prodded horse on the back which flinched, announced that it had a sore back and she was using her "old Wintec that is like sitting on a carpet". Then had her rider in said saddle whilst horse was wearing a lungie-bungie thing over it's head and through it's legs to the girth. Said rider then jumped horse repeatedly, as per KD's instructions. I didn't really think it was kind to work it with a sore back or jump it with it's head restrained by a stretchy cord. But that's just my opinion......

scats

Visit site
I went!

Quite a long journey for us- 2 and a half hours, we parked in car park 3 and arrived about 11am- no queues in at all.

I bought:
Arian wellies for £60
Country Boots for £39 (proper bargain!)
Memory foam country style boots for work for £45
A pair of waterproof over trousers from Rydale for £5
Loads of freebies- feed samples, pens etc.

We used to go every year and haven't been for about 7 years. It was much busier from what I remember it used to be, but a great day out.

We didn't watch any demos this year.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I'm going tomorrow, does anyone know if the shopping is less good on the Sunday? Does everyone clear out the stands on the Saturday, or do they hold some bargains back (is this wishful thinking!)?

Supertrooper

Visit site
Agree re comments on Karen's demo. The first horse was obviously very sensitive in his back as showed when she touched him. She did say he wasn't hers and she'd only picked him up yesterday to bring to demo and I guess she was trying to show the reality of what you may be taking on.

She did say that the first thing she does is get dentist, farrier, physio etc to look at horse when she's buying.

I'm not really placed to say re gadgets etc as I just have a non ridden pony but she was using a pessoa when lunging and a bungee when ridden but neither of the horses seemed concerned re this.

Geoff didn't really give much advice as more of a fun demo. I enjoyed watching the children jump more than him to be honest.

Really really enjoyed Charlotte. She was obviously very proud of Vogue, he'd obviously been very difficult as a youngster and in his early education and she gave fascinating insights. He is by Jazz who are notoriously very sharp, spooky and noise sensitive. She said they are professional horses and she feels with him the more confident she is the more he can be brave. If she was nervous he'd die of fright because he's so anxious.

She rode him beautifully and said she can't protect him from situations, he's got to learn to cope and just carry on. She said he'd never seen anything like YHL and at the end of the demo she wanted us to clap and make noise as it was such good training for him.

He lives out as does Nip Tuck because they are sharp and anxious it is better for them and he hacks out also to build his confidence.

A really lovely horse and she said her possible horse for Tokyo.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I'm going tomorrow, does anyone know if the shopping is less good on the Sunday? Does everyone clear out the stands on the Saturday, or do they hold some bargains back (is this wishful thinking!)?

I actually asked a lady working on the Le mieux stand about this. She said that they do restock the shelves during the day on Saturday but have stock held back for Sunday. Not sure if the same can be said of the other stands though, we went today for that very reason, so we could get the best bargains.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
We went, came up the M40 from High Wycombe, serious accident closed the motorway for a while but we got there at 11 and managed to see all the shops and watch the charlotte dujardin demo.

Bought a west gate egg count four pack with a free quick fix for £30. Some winter yard boots £29, a lovely head band from world horse welfare £5. Entered a few charity tombolas and entered many competitions. Chatted to the ladies at English bridles and have just placed my order for a made to measure one.

Saw my horse trailer (cheval liberte ) , then saw the most bonkers but stunning horse trailer Primero was the Brand, would need a tank to pull it but wow it was sexy, worth a look!!
Did my usual perving of lorries. Ate some doughnuts then watched Charlottes demo,
even as a happy hacker I still really enjoyed it and learnt something from it.

A brilliant day, cannot wait until next year :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Went today. Demos good as usual, but Oh Dear, the shopping wasn't up to much. Now that I don't compete it is surprising how your horsey needs reduce. But I thought there were too many stands with just cheap (or not so cheap) tat. I have been going more or less regularly since the very first one run by the RAS, when it was deemed "a technical" event. Many regular stands have disappeared, I suppose it costs a lot to take a stand and unless you can shift goods it isn't good value. Stand holders get old and retire but it has changed character and I seriously doubt if I will go next year.

On the bright side, I had some money off vouchers for feed and bought a new rug for horse. Entered lots of competitions as usual, but I have yet to win anything. Would like the safari though.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Went today. Demos good as usual, but Oh Dear, the shopping wasn't up to much. Now that I don't compete it is surprising how your horsey needs reduce. But I thought there were too many stands with just cheap (or not so cheap) tat. I have been going more or less regularly since the very first one run by the RAS, when it was deemed "a technical" event. Many regular stands have disappeared, I suppose it costs a lot to take a stand and unless you can shift goods it isn't good value. Stand holders get old and retire but it has changed character and I seriously doubt if I will go next year.

Last year in the marker for a saddle when I went and stopped at about 5 or 6 saddle stalls, and now you mention it I dont recall seeing them this year, unless I just missed them but we walked all the halls several times. Also I wanted to see the bit people this year but they werent there :(
I was happy enough with the shopping though and dont think it was 'tat' at all, it was like having a 5 hall tack shop :D

Nicnac

Visit site
Went for first time today - long drive but one of daughter's sponsors gave us complimentary tickets. Left just after 6am and had super clear run all the way up. Really liked the two areas where there was carpet and it was quieter. The main shopping area was ok first thing but was a bit of a cattle market by lunch time. Enjoyed the Learning Area with the Q&A session, followed by Wilberry auction (was outbid fortunately as OH may have had words with me....) Alan Davies talk was highlight and was joined unexpectedly by Charlotte - there were lots of tears from the audience and Alan as she spoke about her relationship with Blueberry and his forthcoming retirement. Will be taking tissues to Olympia on 14th Dec.

Had cuddles with Hovis - including an impromptu shower as he had a drink then dried his mouth on me and he also managed to undo my hairclip :)

New BP purchased - great deal from Treehouse on the RS Provent; new rugs for horses (in boot of car and will be transferred to rug room when OH leaves in the morning as he's got an earlier start than me) and a few other bits and pieces. Good run home too as left just after two.

ETA - also saw the Primero Trailer - now that I liked alot. Good German manufacturing and it's really clever. Fabulous big tyres on it too which makes sense. If I were to give up lorry one day I would seriously consider a Primero.

lucky7

Visit site
Can i join in!!
I went yesterday and got the train then a taxi. We arrived about 930, was fairly busy, the shopping was great!
I came away with
Shires boots bag - £19
Noble outfitters winter breeches which are just amazingly light weight but warm and cosy - £69
Roeckl gloves (present for my mum) £26
Headband and socks - £14

Next time we will bring our own food and drinks (£7.20 for 4 cans of coke!!!)
Geoff billington was very funny and the kids jumping where really good - big fences for 12.2 ponies!
Charlotte was amazing, vogue was just beautiful - he just floated on air. Shes so inspirational and even talked about those bad days/depressing moments we get after a fustrating/bad schooling session!! come away with some useful tps.
Lorenzo was just amazing! even though he almost trampled that poor woman a few times (she had to duck and dive out the way a few times) and some of the horses collided with the jump wings at one point!!

All in all a good day :D