Your ideal horse? And what's the reality?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I originally wanted a coloured warmblood, 17hh+ schoolmaster type. I ended up with a coloured cob, 14.2hh, 5 years old, green as grass, who, thank god, grew three inches within a couple of years. He's a solid boy, very well behaved, very affectionate, just not what I set out to get!

What did you want and what did you get?

WelshD

Visit site
I wanted a show hunter pony and a show pony

I ended up with a sweet itchy section A and a WHP prospect section B

I still hanker after a show pony...

dollyanna

Visit site
My first pony I wanted a 14.2hh jumping pony. I got a 14hh-on-tiptoes driving pony who had never been ridden. We basically bought her for her temperament which was impeccable.
My second two ponies were almost exactly what I wanted - 2 fell foals, at least one filly (would have liked 2 but these two decided they were sticking together). Still waiting to discover where they will really go in life but they are perfect just the way they are, whatever they choose to do for me as they get older.

fathorselover

Visit site
I once bought myself an ex racer which I couldn't ride one side of.. I now have a lovely little mare who was advertised as 15.1 but is more like 14.2- doesn't matter, I love her anyway! In a lot of ways she's just what I wanted - manageably whizzy - unlike the ex racer, which taught me a lot about my own perception of my riding ability..... 😀

9tails

Visit site
I wanted a big strong mare, preferably warmblood, with plenty of go that could turn her hoof to anything. I got exactly what I wanted!

lilacjackie

Visit site
Some 40 odd years ago when buying my first horse I wanted a 15.2hh ish chestnut TB instead I bought a 14.2hh dark bay cob no name so called her Cassie, in the interim years I have had a few different horses but never a chestnut TB, in my mid sixties now, last August I finally bought a beautiful chestnut TB mare probably my last horse and guess what her name is? yep Cassie :)

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I desperately wanted a 15.2 event horse, basically a bigger version of my amazing pony who had to be retired in summer - he would jump anything and if he was still in work now probably would be ready to go out at medium level dressage. Unfortunately there was no way on earth I could ever afford that so I went for an ex racer, a bad and very expensive mistake! Now I have a 15h heavyweight cob on loan, he's never going to event but he's restored my confidence and enjoyment in horses.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I've always wanted a black sec D with 4 white socks - that is what I have (my first horse). The other 4 however found me rather than the other way round...

AppyLover

Visit site
I wanted a been there done that older type wasnt to set on a breed which ever would suit me best and I clicked with between 15'2 to 16'2 and I ended up with 18 month old Appaloosa who as a rising 3 is verging on 16hh already, he's a handful but he's already my horse of a lifetime and has a home for life with me no matter what :)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I was after a RC schoolmaster type 15.2hh. Ended up with a yearling 13.1hh forester who turned into my ideal. Had him 21 years now and he's semi retired but he's still precious.

As for the others........................well, you can never just have one NF. :D

Enfys

Visit site
14h. Palomino or buckskin performance paso fino mare, what I have is a 13h classic fino chestnut mare. Not what I was looking for at all, but it turns out that she's tremendous fun and we have great fun. As for the 14hander, I actually have her too, in buckskin :D

alainax

Visit site
Is it too soppy to say i have my ideal? Read this thread and couldn't think of anything I would change about him!

Wanted 16hh ish strongly built kfps Friesian gelding. 7-14, must be flashy, powerful , forward and seriously handsome, able to do well at dressage but also safe laid back and happy hacker!

I still count my lucky stars every time I am with him!

rachk89

Visit site
I wanted a cobby type horse, or like an irish sports horse/irish draught kind of thing, an all rounder type. Preferably mare, looking for the ages between 8-11, around 16-17hh. Preferably black too, but I was quite strict on it not being chestnut as after a chestnut ex racer broke my leg I decided they were evil. :p Just looking for something that would give me confidence and that I could grow with, and most importantly would stand still at the mounting block as I was still terrified to get on a horse at times.

I got a 16hh, 6 year old Oldenburg x Connemara grey gelding with an exceptional movement and plenty of scope, although lacking in training, very green. However he has been an excellent buy even though when I first saw him he looked grumpy and then I saw him rear with the rider who was showing him off. I also saw him just walk off while the person was getting on him, so again that scared me. It was actually my dad that convinced me to get him as I was blind to his potential because of my nerves, but my dad (the non horsey person) took one look at his movement and said 'we're buying him'. First time I sat on him, he went to walk off and I of course tensed up and pulled back on the reins to stop him and he immediately stood still and waited for me to be ready. It was like he went 'wow ok you're terrified, I'll behave dont worry' and when I asked him to move he hesitated like 'are you sure, are you ready'. Even when I took him out on a hack and was hanging on his mouth from fear which he doesnt like you doing, he still behaved like a gentleman and didnt do anything odd, not even when dogs were barking nearby or when something in the shadows caught his eye and made him stop.

He has been an absolute star, putting up with me taking ages to get on him, and trembling from fear while on him for 5-10mins. He would just amble around the arena, not caring, sighing now and again at my stupidity. He's never done much stupid, he's heard snow falling off the roof of the indoor arena that normally spooks other horses. All it got out of him was his head went up and that was it. He's terrified of the pigs, but when I'm on him he's not done anything more than a jog, whereas when I'm not on him he'll bolt in his field if they squeal. We do have a strong bond and I know deep down he wont hurt me deliberately and that he'll protect me the best he can, but thanks to the ex racer my mind doesnt fully believe this yet.

Really I wasnt in a fit state mentally to get a horse, but I'm glad I got him. Now with all the food he's been getting and the work he's grown to 16.2 and gone up to 6'9 in rugs from 6'3/6'6 so I've told him to stop growing, but I doubt he'll listen.

Orca

Visit site
Absolutely definitely didn't want a heavyweight anything. Bought a heavyweight trad.

Personally, my favourite previous horse (and horsey love of my life) was a TB. I would have loved another TB but chose someone who would be a suitable family pony instead. Short enough for the children but able to carry me and not remotely silly.

It was Orca's character and affinity with children which grabbed my attention. Attributes which can't be made or bought and I was prepared to look past several inches of extra bone, podge, feathers and unruly 3' mane to see them ��.

puli

Visit site
My ideal horse Belgium draft chestnut gelding. I have two 15hh cobs one coloured and one grey.

blood_magik

Visit site
16.3-17hh, 9-12yo WB type who'd been there and got the t-shirt jumping. The only thing that wasn't optional was that it had to be a gelding or a stallion as the yard I was on didn't take mares.

I ended up with a 17.1, 6yo IDx gelding (now 10 and 17.3hh).

With my next horse I wanted a confidence giver and ended up with a 16.1, 7yo ISH.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've actually got what I wanted twice. The first one died and that led me to the second one who is the love of my life. She was meant to be 15.1 and was only 14.1 when she arrived. However she's now a good 14.2 and I've told her once I've had her measured she can keep growing ;). She has the body of a 15.2 and short legs so really it doesn't matter that she's shorter than she was meant to be.

Shay

Visit site
When we set out to buy my daughter's first pony the only stipulations I had was nothing coloured and nothing hogged....

We ended up with a piebald hogged cob X. But is was - and is - a saint. (And not plating on a hunting morning is still bliss!)

Ormsweird

Visit site
A been there, done that fell pony to be a family pony for me and kiddo to ride. Always expected a black because that's what most fells are. Bought a green, only just sat on grey fell who is proving to be a little star. Thankfully we have time and a friend to bring him on for us!

acorn92x

Visit site
Although my horse (15hh piebald Irish cob) wasn't what I set out looking to buy, she is absolutely my ideal horse. Temperament is to die for, she tries so hard in everything that she does and is also the most cheeky, loving little horse anyone could want. I wouldn't part with her for the world.

Pippity

Visit site
My sensible dream is a 14-15hh cob mare with plenty of bone, aged 7-10. The aim would be to do a little bit of low-level everything and not set the world on fire at anything, so I'd be looking for temperament more than ability - willing, adaptable, smart. The only rock-solid requirement is that she be brave to hack.

And, if we're talking perfect world, she'd be chestnut or chestnut skewbald, able to live out without getting hippo-sized, and with really good feet.

I currently share a 17hh AndalusianX gelding, who gets spooked by the mounting block being six inches away from where it was yesterday and hasn't yet seen a jump - or pole - that isn't going to eat him. We won't mention his feet. However, he is the most loving horse I've ever met, and he's an absolute schoolmaster at dressage - if I give him the right aids, he does it, no questions asked; if I don't give him the right aids, he gets confused and a bit upset that he can't figure out what I want.

I love him to bits, even though he's not at all what I had in mind when I went looking.

acorn92x

Visit site
My sensible dream is a 14-15hh cob mare with plenty of bone, aged 7-10. The aim would be to do a little bit of low-level everything and not set the world on fire at anything, so I'd be looking for temperament more than ability - willing, adaptable, smart. The only rock-solid requirement is that she be brave to hack.

And, if we're talking perfect world, she'd be chestnut or chestnut skewbald, able to live out without getting hippo-sized, and with really good feet.

You'd love my girl - only requirement that she doesn't meet is that she is piebald! :D

Pippity

Visit site
You'd love my girl - only requirement that she doesn't meet is that she is piebald! :D

It's reassuring to know that I'm not dreaming of the absolute impossible! (Of course, the money to keep my dream horse is absolutely impossible, but that's the joy of dreaming.)

Annagain

Visit site
My first ideal horse fell into my life when we were both 13. A nutty, stubborn, opinionated, arrogant, brave, honest, silly but safe Sec D. I didn't know he was my ideal horse at the time but by the time I lost him, unexpectedly, when we were 27 I knew he was irreplaceable.

I met my second ideal horse 15 years ago. Unfortunately he belonged to my best friend! I still had my old boy at the time so while I enjoyed the odd ride and a bit of jumping on him (as my boy was taking it easy in his dotage) it wasn't a regular thing. When I lost Eb I went looking for Monty mark 2 - an ID x TB 16-17hh. I didn't really want a grey (although M is grey) but ended up with Archie, a grey 16.3 ID x something (maybe Connie, maybe cob). On paper he's just like M, same age, similar breeding (or so we thought but it turns out M has no Irish in him at all, but that's a different story) but boy is he different!

Where M is chilled, easy, confident and a tad on the lazy side in the school, A is anxious, strong and panicky. He can't jump any more but when he could he would rush and pull and put in random unexpected stops (not his fault due to bad feet bless him) M will pootle up to a 1.10 jump in a lovely balanced calm canter, pop it like it's a cavaletti and then go back to sleep. In the stable M is incredibly tolerant but aloof, he's not a cwtchy horse. A is permanently attached to you demanding attention, kisses and cuddles...until you want to do anything then he's a Victor Meldrew extroadinare. M is a loner in the field, A is everybody's friend.

Take them hacking though and they transform. A is the chilled, confident, forward but never silly happy hacker who is simply THE best horse I've ever known in traffic, while M is always looking for the next monster, is very backward thinking and worried by larger vehicles (although never does anything). He will go alone but nobody enjoys themselves so we don't bother.

As A can no longer jump and M's owner has two young kids and not enough hours in the day. I share M and do riding club stuff with him and have a sharer for Arch so they both get enough work. So I have the perfect horse who does everything I want - just spread across two!

Catherine94

Visit site
When I outgrew ponies and moved up to horses, I had wanted a 15.2ish show jumper/eventer type with some experience that was straightforward to go out competing on. I ended up taking on my mums 17hh 8 year old cleveland bay mare, who had done nothing but hacking and was stubborn as a mule at times. Looking back, I wouldn't change anything as she's brought my riding on far more than I could have imagined as she's taught me to actually ride instead of just sitting there. Still have her now, 8 years later and she's great fun, and is also the dam of my 8 year old gelding :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
i wanted a happy hacker , heavy boned . age about 12 preferably coloured 100% bomb proof with a face only a mother could love.
In my search i did what every sensible horse hunter would do and headed off to a dodgy irish horse dealer.
I bought a 10 year old chestnut tbx with looks to die for. I bought him because i felt sorry for him when the dealer took his rug off. and also he was very quiet,(doped)
When he arrived home he spent 6 months tying to kill me mainly because the drugs had worn off and turned out to be well into his teens with a dodgy passport.
Ive had him 8 years and after he settled down turned out to be the best thing that ever happenned to me! I accept that i did it all wrong and feel very lucky to have the happy ending i got!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I THOUGHT I wanted a safe plod who was a dope-on-a-rope and totally bombproof. What came, on winter loan from a trekking centre, was a great lump of a trad cob who wouldn't hack alone, was a quirky little git, and who I somehow ended up keeping (er, dunno quite how that happened LOL). We had to do a lot of work on sorting out various issues including traffic, solo hacking, loading etc., but even though he can still throw a hooley occasionally I love him to bits.

My other horse (mare) was another one who came on loan initially, from an old schoolfriend who I'd run into at a show after many many years: she's a feisty little Welsh D mare, Nebo/Derwen lines, absolutely gorgeous, sure footed as a ballerina and turns on a sixpence. Very forward going esp in open spaces, where you have to literally ride on the buckle as otherwise she'll hot up to implosion-point, she also can be spooky, but I love her to bits as she is loyal to a fault and I always feel safe on her; she had to take me in hand to start with and basically had to tutor me on how she wanted to be ridden! I never thought that I'd ever feel happy on a horse as keen as her, but we somehow understand each other, and get along.

If I'd had her on a week's trial I'd probably have sent her back as being too forward-going and bouncy for me, which would have been a huge shame.

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site
I'm chuckling at the number of coloured cobs (including mine!) who have found homes with people on this thread, contrary to intentions. One of my (very horsey) parents was a coloured horse snob and I was never allowed one at home. There might be an element of rebellion in my choice ��.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm not a fan of coloured horses, not because I am snobby about them but because unless they are nicely marked they don't always look as if they have good conformation, even when they do. White legs/pink skin are also a bit of a pain to keep clean and mud fever free. However, Mr B is coloured and I love him, he's a real head turner!
I'm chuckling at the number of coloured cobs (including mine!) who have found homes with people on this thread, contrary to intentions. One of my (very horsey) parents was a coloured horse snob and I was never allowed one at home. There might be an element of rebellion in my choice ��.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
My plan was to buy myself a reliable hacking buddy. I wanted an older, been there and done that sort of animal, sturdy native or cob type, colour and gender unimportant, but ideally no taller than 14.3hh.

After spending the better part of two years searching for this apparently mythical beast, I gave up and bought a yearling to bring on. Raising youngsters proved somewhat addictive, and I ended up with a second one. The two of them are currently rising four, so we're finally getting closer to that hacking buddy thing. I am actively ignoring the string test results because 16.3hh and 17hh was not in the plan. I am also pretending that getting to this stage hasn't cost £££££ and that I haven't forgotten what it feels like to own footwear that isn't wellington related.

On balance, I feel that I have my ideal horses - it just took me longer than expected to get there :)