Your "must read" horsey books

Denbob

Visit site
As title really, a non-horsey friend has started showing a real interest and wants to get involved. I trust beastie on the ground so he's going to come and meet him in a few weeks but want to set him some homework first (he laughed at that but I'm deadly serious).

Book recommendations on all aspects of horse welfare, psychology and introduction to riding would be much appreciated!

So far have sent him:

- BHS Complete Manual of Horse and Stable Management

pixie27

Visit site
Mark Rashid’s books are excellent, as are Denny Emerson’s. Denny’s ‘Know better to do better’ takes you all the way from buying/trying to competing.

TPO

Visit site
Mark Rashid's 4 books in the "no horse is a bad colour" series are a good read even if non horsey.

Tik Maynard's book (in the middle are the horsemen) is a good read regardless of picking up horse hints

I've just bought that Denny one so happy to see another good review!

I often recommend the Susan McBane "100 ways to improve" books. I can't see past them as well formatted guides taking the horse into consideration. I think they would also be ideal for an adult beginner/learner.

There are 5 of them (riding, schooling, behaviour, healthcare partnership) They are normally a few £ each secondhand on Amazon or Ebay.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=susan+mcbane+100+ways&ref=nb_sb_noss

Skib

sites.google.com
You did right to send a textbook. I had the Pony Club handbook and only that, for reference, while I had lessons. It is too much to take in and remember in advance.
And I too love Mark Rashid - but I do think videos of him (and others) working with horses are better than the printed page. A friend in USA told me to read John Lyons. That can be hard to find in UK. But he still seems so very sensible, insisting on politeness to horses. He has been my mentor. And in UK there is Kelly Mark's Perfect Manners.
A Fox in the Cupboard by Jane Shilling describes learning to ride as an adult, and I enjoyed Whispering Back.
In fact I took the opposite decision and because my life had been spent with books, I wouldnt read anything till I had ridden for a year. I resolved to learn by watching and copying riders and talking to the horse. When one is on a horse riding, I guess one doesnt often think of books. It is only when things go wrong, like a horse nipping you or not standing to be mounted that one goes home and turns to the page to look up. And that is when it is useful to have several books, and a variety of answers so you can work out the best way with any particular horse. But your friend will have you to do that.

Denbob

Visit site
Thanks for all your tips!

He has a great brain for facts and wants to learn a lot of theory behind horse management but simply isn't able to get involved with horses regularly at the moment so wants to prepare himself with the basics so when he can commit a bit more regularly he's got a bit of grounding and background knowledge.

GreyMane

Visit site
Reference/instructional books definitely.

Mark Rashid really changed the landscape for me: made me see horse behaviour as just "information" not insubordination.
Amazing what a difference that can make.

Picked up Kelly Marks's Perfect Partners the other day and found it much better than I'd expected.
And it contained this marvellous quote, by Douglas Adams, from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency:

"[Horses] have always understood a great deal more than they let on. It is difficult to be sat on, every day, by some creature without forming an opinion of them.
"On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have the slightest thought about them whatsoever."
:D

[We're gonna need a bigger shelf].
bigger shelves.jpg

Skib

sites.google.com
If it is the academic stuff he would like, there is Stephen Budiansky, The Nature of Horses; Their Evolution, Intelligence and Behaviour (London (Originally Free Press, USA): Weidenfeld and Nicholson, 1997).
A good book but I have never read it cover to cover.