your opionions PLEASE!!!!

lunarlove

Visit site
Not really sure what I want to hear but all I know is that I'm so stressed, the story is my boy has been out on his own in a tiny paddock for ages but has company each side of him, (that he is very attached too) he has issues on ground, cant be caught, terrible to turn out unless he has a chiffney on so the small paddock has massivley helped him, however thanks to mother nature and all this rain his little paddock is no more, its a mud bath and needs a break. I was making him live out as he has good natural shelter in his field and he seems ok out but have been bringing him in during this wet as he has a touch of mud fever and is sore and its given us great bonding time. My problem is I've been given a field to use while mine rests but its HUGE, I'd say 4 acres if not more and when I put him out today he just seemed so lost, he has friends on one side but they tent to graze on the high end of the hill and when I took his feed out this PM he did let me catch him after a while of pratting about so I brought him in as I knew it would be pants weather again tonight and I think the handling is helpful with him and it lets his mud fever dry out. I'm just worried that this field is too big for him on his own and he is no good with company, he fights with geldings and gets too possesive over mares, he acts riggy and gets really attatched and difficult to take away so hes better off alone, my other worry is that the field has absolutly NO shelter at all so he would have to come in at night during bad weather. I think that I'm just worried that by putting him in such a huge area on his own he's going to get a bit ferrel on me and I'm going to have to start all my hard work again. Am I over thinking things or would you be concerned about such a huge area for one horse that already has issues with humans and trust. Should I just embrace this lovely turn out area untill my paddock is rested and if he refues to be caught he is obviously happy out and leave him untill I can get him back in the smaller area. I only ride twice a week in winter so its not like I need him in all the time. Please share your advise with me before I go crazy with worry!!

TheMule

Visit site
He'll be fine in the bigger field, rug him up and you'll have no need for him to come in at night anyway- he'll be happy to have some grass by the sounds of it!

flowerlady

Visit site
Can you not fence off a smaller area that is still near to the company on one side?
I would still bring him in at night especially with the weather at the moment and if he is not stressing being bought in it will all help with the handling.

Last edited:

lunarlove

Visit site
Yard owners aren't keen on splitting field but have said that they will if he is impossible to catch. I'm thinking that if he refuses to be caught tomorrow then he is clearly happy out?? he did have his head down tonight and was stuffing his face with grass and I was shocked that he did let me catch him, though it did take some time. I think I'm being precious, I just don't wanna see all my hard work ruined. :)

Pale Rider

Visit site
It's nothing to do with the size of the field really. Ideally he needs equine company and you need some help managing him. If you have to use a chiffney you need help as a matter of urgency.

lunarlove

Visit site
Because it will poach and get horribly muddy - and it will then need re-seeding and rolling - you cannot blame them !

Not blaming them they are amazing and I love being where I am, Its a very busy yard with alot of liveries so I understand its hard to keep everyone happy, as I said Im prob just being precious and need a man up slap!! :D

lunarlove

Visit site
It's nothing to do with the size of the field really. Ideally he needs equine company and you need some help managing him. If you have to use a chiffney you need help as a matter of urgency.

He has companny in next door field but agree it would be nice for him to have a turn out buddy, I've had him for 5 years and he's always been trouble in company and as for the chiffney, it has been a last resort and I've tried pretty much every other method but this seems to be working, so sticking with it for now. :)

Zoee

Visit site
Turn out in a headcollar ( a field safe one) if you don't already then if you can't catch him, pretend to be doing something else horses are very noisy and soon couristy should get the better of them!

wallykissmas

Visit site
Splitting a 4acre field into will do it no harm as long as he isn't holing around. I would ask to split it into 3rds. Has he always been difficult to catch, any idea why ?

If your happy to bring him in then do so and keep working on him being caught, or if your happy with him out rug him well and leave him out. His weight will tell you if he's too cold.

lunarlove

Visit site
the size of the field will only be an issue if you have to walk around it trying to catch him!

This lol!! to be fair he was very jumpy tonight but he did let me get him after a bit of pratting about but I can gaurentee he wont let me near him without copious amounts of feed. I dont know why he is a pain to catch, he wasnt always this bad but has never been easy, he has had a terrible life of abuse but he should know by now that Im not going to hurt him so would just love him to cut me some slack now and then.
I'll see how it goes tomorrow I guess, least he's in tonight all cosy, little ******!! Nothing like loving your horse too much hey?!

Alyth

Visit site
The only way to make catching the horse easy is to make it worth the horses while to be caught!! Take the time you need to catch him, give him a nice feed of carrots and crusts if you don't want to hard feed, then turn him loose again. If even this is hard, visit with a bag full of goodies, get as close as you can and toss the goodies out towards him one bit at a time....tossing closer and closer to your feet. Make no attempt to touch him!! A couple of visits and he will come running, then you can do the catch, feed turn out method!!