Your thoughts are appreciated

Rockchick

Visit site
Hi All

Just wanted to pick your brains
I have decided to re-advertise my cob gelding for Part Loan, he’s a 15.1hh 9yr old coloured cob gelding, who is by no means a kick along (once he gets to know his rider) but isn’t unsafe in the slightest. I’m ideally looking for a competent confident rider over the age of 16yrs who likes hacking and schooling and would like to do some pleasure rides, beach rides etc and just have some fun 
He works lovely in a school and loves to hack, 100% in traffic and goes first or last but he can be quite sharp and strong at times however he’s not dangerous.
I am asking for someone to have him 3 days per week – ideally 2x week days and 1 weekend day. In the week all we have to do is ride as full care is provided, it is however DIY at weekends – but I am willing to assist with this if needed as I am there with my other horse anyway
I am asking for £35:00 per week inclusive of livery and shoeing costs (50/50 spilt)
There may be the opportunity for extra riding over the summer and of course ‘days out’ with the horses
Does this sound reasonable?

rowan666

Visit site
I think that seems quite alot for part loan, I think the going rate is between £15-£25 per week depending on horse and facilities

sasha1

Visit site
I was interested in the replies, as I too have considered loaning my horse full time. I worked out how much it cost me to keep him and it thought thats how much I should charge, but obviuosly I'm wrong on that one and having no experience of loaning was surprised that the replies seemed to think it was a bit expensive for what you were offering. Anyone whos loaned before who could explain how to work it out?

SallyBatty

Visit site
I charge my part loaner the weekly cost of keeping my horse divided by the number of days she rides. You do need to be honest with the prospective part loaner if you are going to ask for this though as a lot of people seem to think that a part loaner should only pay a maximum of £15 to £25 a week regardless of how much it costs you to keep your horse (which obviously varies on what type of livery your horse is on and what facilities are at your yard) or how many times a week the person rides. It does rather depend though on whether you are doing it purely to get your horse exercised or whether you are needing the financial help.

Colivet

Visit site
I will begin by saying that I am not familiar with loaning/sharing arrangements - however, it strikes me that what you are offering works out at just over £11.50 per ride, all inclusive, with some labour required on the weekend day. If I were riding 3 times per week in a riding school, it would cost substantially more than that, albeit I would be getting instruction, but I would not be getting the freedom to choose what activities I did or the sense of (part time) "ownership", or the time to just mooch about and bond with the horse.

It doesn't sound exorbitant to me, but as said earlier, I am not familiar with the "norm"

Rockchick

Visit site
My horse is on full livery through the week and DIY at weekends, we have access to a menage a few minute ride away until ours is completed, the owner lives on site, miles and miles of hacking, all feed, hay, bedding is included in the livery price too.

My horses are worked 6 days a week (with 1 day off)

kc100

Visit site
I think what you are charging is at the upper end of acceptable, however for the area you are in (I presume Doncaster as that is what is below your avatar) and for 3 days per week you might be pushing it a little. I guess it would all depend on facilities at the yard - is there both indoor and outdoor schools? Floodlit arenas for riding in evenings? Good hacking? Do you have transport if the sharer wanted to go out and about with your horse?

I am based in the W.Mids (nr Solihull) so a bit further south than you, I have my 17.3 ISH on share 4 days per week, his owner does all the chores (he likes to do them!) and he has transport and very kindly drives me around for my dressage competitions. I pay £120 per month and nothing towards shoes (we dont really hack out). I appreciate I have an amazing deal with my horse and his owner is probably the best owner ever, but if I were looking for a new share I must admit the price of yours would put me off.

When I had my previous share I paid £110 pcm and half his shoes every 6 weeks, and did all chores, riding 3 days per week and looking after him 1 other day a week (Friday was his day off but I still went up to do chores) - looking back that was pretty pricey too!

For 3 days per week I'd be more inclined to charge between £80 and £100 per month and then half shoes every xx weeks, that seems more reasonable. The reason why sharers dont own horses is because they cant afford it, so we are not all particularly well off so you have to keep that in mind! I always think of it this way, riding lessons are around £20 per lesson (round by me anyway!) so a sharer is going to weigh up sticking with their 1 lesson per week (totaling £80 per month) or paying a bit extra and getting to share, but they wont be able to afford vast amounts more than their once weekly riding lesson otherwise they'd be having more lessons a week!

Bernster

Visit site
'Going rates' for sharers seem to vary a lot, and loaning seems to be a different and more expensive thing.

That sounds maybe a bit on the high side for your area, if they are doing 1 day DIY although really, given all the costs etc., when you add it up you're not likely to be making any profit out of that!

My Irish friend tells me sharing where she came from was proper sharing, ie split the cost of livery (all costs of care plus shoes but not vets, insurance, dentist) by the number of days they ride. I reckon that would be a fair bit more than you're asking and a lot cheaper than the equivalent at a riding school.

Maybe advertise it as a part loan? I'd also maybe ask around the local area cos I'm SE and everything is more expensive here it seems !!

Rockchick

Visit site
he is advertised for part loan.

The £35:00 a week is fully inclusive of sharer half of livery and shoes so there will be no added extra's from that perspective. It works out at £11:66 per day for the sharer :) - cheaper than a riding lesson and they get as much 'horse time' as they want on their days :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think thats a very high cost.
I'm asking 7 pound a day if doing 1/2 days a week. If wanted to do say 3/4 then I'm asking a flat rate of 20 pounds.

But, depends where you are I suppsoe!

pudz02

Visit site
Hiya,
when i loaned i paid the months livery which was £115 and had her 3-4 times a week.
For the sake of splitting hairs, why not charge £30 a week which is £10 a day and like you say you couldnt that at a riding school, plus your loanee will get all the experience and joy of owning a horse for a fraction of the cost I think £30 sounds reasonable :)

Pippity

Visit site
As others have said, a lot of it depends on the facilities.

I currently ride at two yards, and I'd be willing to pay that at the yard with indoor/2 floodlit outdoor schools, xc course, excellent instructors on site, moderately good hacking, 24/7 turnout, as long as I really clicked with the horse.

I'd be a lot more hesitant paying it at the yard with a single outdoor, unlit school, and limited turnout, even though the hacking is better round there.

£35 is two lessons and, while the extra horsey time, freedom and variety would be a definite lure, I'd still want to be having at least one lesson a fortnight in addition. (I don't have lessons just for the opportunity to ride. My instructor is ruthless and brilliant and a perfect fit with me. She's pushed me SO FAR further on than I was before I started with her, and has been amazing for my confidence.)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Best way to find out if it's too much is to advertise, if you don;t get any response reduce the cost in the advert - or if you're in a rush put £35 ONO and see who turns up?