Your thoughts on Wintec Endurance or Stock Saddle

Gypsy Shelby

New User
Visit site
Hello,
I am going through some saddle issues.
I used to ride my Irish Cob mare in a Continental/Reining Authority Sedona Ladies Reiner which was a super comfy saddle but very heavy and my instructor told it was not very suited for doing arena/dressage work and that my horse was not really going well under it.
A couple of months ago, I bought an Ikonic GP saddle. But since I have had the saddle I fell off twice when my horse spooked in the arena. I never fell off in my Western saddle though. So I am thinking of buying a Wintec/Bates Endurance/Versa saddle or stock sassle. Are they any good? Comfy and soft? Secure and can you post the trot in both the stock and endurance model? can you do flat work/dressage in them?
I do not like the deep seats of dressage saddles.
Is there any other difference between Bates and Wintec besides the material? Is the sizing/seating/adaptability the same?
I know it’s difficult to say but would they fit a cob type horse?
Thank you and greetings from Belgium !

silv

Visit site
I had a wintec stock saddle and hated it, you cannot rise to the trot easily and it puts you slightly in the chair position, I found it difficult to ride in. They are designed for people riding on hilly ground at a slow pace. The wintec endurance is very popular here, it would be a better bet for you, I know a few people who have them and all like them. Some people use them for dressage too.

Shady

Visit site
We had the Wintec pro stock saddle for my OH's large PRE. Both loved it , but riding was all trail work, in and out of valley's .
Surprisingly every person who rode in it liked it after an adjustment period, and said they loved how secure and comfortable it was.
If I remember rightly sizing was tricky as it's a generous saddle. Think ours was a 16 as horse had a short back and riders were not large .
Have to say I never rode in it, and would possibly have chosen the endurance version for myself

eta. Not sure if one would fit a cob, although the gullet can be adjusted to be very wide. At max width though, you might not get wither clearance. OH's horse was 16.2 and baroque in shape, very high withers. We had it on medium wide. When we sold the saddle a few years back , it was tried on a very stocky small PRE with a flat short back and no withers. No way was that saddle ever going to fit, even at maximum width.

Last edited:

05jackd

Visit site
I have a wintec endurance - Love it. It has saved my bacon more times that I can count as the knee blocks really save yo in a spook. I have done 1000's of miles in mine on 2 different horses.