Your top security suggestions.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Put your keys in a faraday bag if your car has keyless
Lots of CCTV cameras everywhere… good ones … you can not get within 150 yards of our howithout being on at least 2 cameras… and you can see people’s faces clearly even at night.

Barking dogs

Alarms

Lots of CCTV cameras everywhere… good ones … you can not get within 150 yards of our house without being on at least 2 cameras… and you can see people’s faces clearly even at night.

Barking dogs

Alarms

I leave car keys and cash near the back door so that if they do get in they can go again quickly
We only went out for dinner! We have a guard dog and anyone who knows us wouldn’t come in in their right mind as not only does she bark she will attack. She was watching inside the house but sadly couldn’t stop them as we were out. 😔

spotty_pony2

Visit site
The 2 things I’m installing in my new place is cameras and those metal security posts that get bolted down.
I’m sure it’s not fail safe but hopefully enough to deter the majority

Do you mean bollards? We are looking into getting them as they do look good!

Sealine

Visit site
Sorry to hear your car was stolen. I always keep keys in faraday bag. Unfortunately I no longer have my GSD but I still have signs on the boundary fences with a picture of a GSD that say ‘I live here’ and ‘Beware of the dog’. Noisy dogs are a good deterrent.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If your budget is limited get some dummy CCTV cameras (and don't forget the notices either) and put up. Beware of being over-conspicuous however as you don't want to be OTT; "subtle" is the word. If you have a more flexible budget then get some real cameras & CCTV set up. Even better get a few surveys from some security firms and see what they recommend, then fix the same thing up for yourself.

Then, having done the hi-tech stuff: get a Gander and some Guinea Fowls. Also get a big dog with a big bark, and a little terrier. Little dog is to wake up the big dog - and if needs must there's nothing like a small dog to get in under someone's feet............

ihatework

Visit site
Do you mean bollards? We are looking into getting them as they do look good!

This kind of thing:

I’m going to be leaving a truck and a trailer so thought I’d install a couple of these

spotty_pony2

Visit site

Jambarissa

Visit site
I'm a fan of contact alarms. They're cheap, impossible to stop them going off and quite hard to turn off quickly if you don't know where they are. You can get remote control ones so you can open the door without it going off.

Not intended for cars but no reason you couldn't fit one on the drivers door.

Obviously will only work if they'll be scared off by the noise or someone will act on it.

nutjob

Visit site
Is rural England the wild west?
Yes, sadly it is. We've had people in my area who have security gates and thieves have just driven though the fencing / hedges with a vehicle stolen from elsewhere. It's not unusual to see footage from doorbell cameras showing people with laptops trying to read key info. Cars, quads, tack, garden furniture, farm vehicles and equipment basically everything is stolen. We heard a JCB going past one night at about 3am, that was stolen. If you have anything made of metal scrappers will take it, even if you're still using it, incl. wheelbarrow, kids bikes. A 30mph sign outside my house is now plastic as that was lifted.

neddy man

Visit site
Simple and cheap, NO PETROL/ DIESEL IT WONT DRIVE. find the fuse box, find the fuel pump fuse, snip the wire underneath and connect a new length of wire to them, run it through the bulkhead to behind the dashboard, attach a switch that is out of sight, every time you leave the car put the switch to off position, NO FUEL SUPPLY means the car can't be driven, that applies if keyed or keyless, costs sod all takes less than an hour, put a bit of masking tape on the dash with an x on it that will remind you to use it everytime you exit and enter the vehicle, after a week it will be habit and you remove the x. ( A small rocker switch or a small push button switch like on a table lamp can easily be hidden under the dash within fingertip reach, or under the drivers seat etc). Curiosity how did they open your electric gates?

Last edited:

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Simple and cheap, find the fuse box, find the fuel pump fuse, snip the wire underneath and connect a new length of wire to them, run it through the bulkhead to behind the dashboard, attach a switch that is out of sight, every time you leave the car put the switch to off position, NO FUEL SUPPLY means the car can't be driven, that applies if keyed or keyless, costs sod all takes less than an hour, put a bit of masking tape on the dash with an x on it that will remind you to use it everytime you exit and enter the vehicle after a week it will be habit and you remove the x. ( A small rocker switch or a small push button switch like on a table lamp can easily be hidden under the dash within fingertip reach, or under the drivers seat etc). Curiosity how did they open your electric gates?

This sounds interesting I’ll look into this. Climbed in somehow and smashed the electric box and lifted the panels on the floor and cut all the wires. We only went out for dinner! Happened early evening.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry to hear.
There have been so many cars stollen from our area recently for some reason.
Several land rovers.
We live in a really nice area (you’d think!) I leave my car unlocked 😳
I really need to stop doing that

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Probably a tracker, with a view to recovering the vehicle. Possibly a personal attack alarm under the driver seat with the string attached to the door - remember it is there every time you get in the car!! An acquaintance of mine did everything mentioned above after four break ins at his farm. The fifth time they broke into the barn and drove the JCB through the house wall....

SEL

Visit site
Lots of CCTV cameras everywhere… good ones … you can not get within 150 yards of our house without being on at least 2 cameras… and you can see people’s faces clearly even at night.

Barking dogs

Alarms

I leave car keys and cash near the back door so that if they do get in they can go again quickly
There's cameras all over our village and people have had great footage - but doesn't deter because the police aren't interested.

blitznbobs

Visit site
There's cameras all over our village and people have had great footage - but doesn't deter because the police aren't interested.
We have had the alternate experience, a chap was harassing us and because we had clear footage of him putting things through our letter box which clearly showed his face he was arrested and given some kind of order - can’t remember the exact wording - but the upshot was we never saw or heard from him again

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As title, please let me know your top security ideas and deterrents.

We had a car stolen on Tuesday evening - electric gates were not enough!

I know if they want something they will get it whatever you do but we want to try and make it as hard as possible.

Thanks
Sorry to hear your car stolen.

2. wheel clamp

3. cctv https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoplock-P...92&mcid=7352881444d43380b361ecdfdaa2903f&th=1

4. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoplock-P...92&mcid=7352881444d43380b361ecdfdaa2903f&th=1

5. immobiliser

6. take battery out or disconnect battery

7. Fit a foldable bollard to your driveway

8. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017LY1...32&tag=best_reviews_uk_1-21&linkCode=osi&th=1

July dreamer

Visit site
Lots of Land Rovers go missing around here, usually from the train station car park. I think it sometimes is a case of making your property harder to get than somebody elses. Steering wheel locks and trackers.

I have heard that some Faraday bags can loose their effectiveness over time so might be best to try them occasionally. I keep my key in a tin.

View

Visit site
If they really want your car, they will take it.

All you can do is make your car less desirable to them than the next car along.

Steering wheel lock, old fashioned crook lock.

They took my Galaxy and left OH’s much more desirable 110 alone. Guess which one had the crook lock on and very visible?

All of our cars now sport a steering wheel lock of some sort which gives out the message “move along, there’s an easier target in 10 yards”.