Your views on bent neck please

Time Tells

Visit site
Hello

I have my own opinion, but I am not always right and would like your views please on the following.

I have seen many horses trotting or cantering round a jump ring, with their necks bent to one side, not when they are actually jumping, but when they are cantering up toward the jump. Having said this, I have seen many horses who hold their heads bent to one side when cantering full stop and usually it is always the same side inwhich their head is held. Given their back, teeth and saddle have been checked_______I would be interested in your experienced views please_________Any ideas why please?

CatStew

Visit site
In my opinion, it could be a number of things, but I would imagine that as wilted spinach said that the fault probably lies with the rider as opposed to the horse.

I think maybe the rider might be holding the horse in too much, this could be due to them being unbalanced, nervous or inexperienced. It's quite difficult to generalise it really as there could be a number of reasons. Was this a rider in particular or just an observation?

Brandy

Visit site
I would imagine the horses in questionare usually quite forward going and keen in canter and towards their jump? And that it is a rider caused problem as a result.

Some People

Visit site
I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I remember coming across a horse with a bent neck in a jumping video when searching for something else the other day. Do you mean such as this 2 mins into the below video link? I think this horse may have an issue with theat problem. But in my opinion I think the rider is causing it, looking at her other videos I would say she is a nervous rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8CHnBakL4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Its Not Magic

Visit site
In my opinion, it could be a number of things, but I would imagine that as wilted spinach said that the fault probably lies with the rider as opposed to the horse.

I think maybe the rider might be holding the horse in too much, this could be due to them being unbalanced, nervous or inexperienced. It's quite difficult to generalise it really as there could be a number of reasons. Was this a rider in particular or just an observation?

^^^^^^Could not agree more. There are a lot of experienced riders in here, all with a vast range of experience. I am sure you will receive lots of responses to clarify why.

Honestly

Visit site
The one and only time a horse I was riding had his neck bent like this, was when the devil bolted off with me, heading toward a main road. I bent his neck this way to steer him into the hedge, but I was just a silly little girl who knew no better.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, it is caused by the horse falling through its shoulder and trying to cut corners to the jumps. You will usually see the head is bent to the outside if this is the case. The bend is caused by the rider trying to hold the horse out. In fact the rider should be using more inside rein to correct the fall through the shoulder and lots of inside leg, but if a horse is really determined this is easier said than done.

Time Tells

Visit site
Yes, it is caused by the horse falling through its shoulder and trying to cut corners to the jumps. You will usually see the head is bent to the outside if this is the case. The bend is caused by the rider trying to hold the horse out. In fact the rider should be using more inside rein to correct the fall through the shoulder and lots of inside leg, but if a horse is really determined this is easier said than done.

Thank you for your imput Wagtail. Did you watch the video that 'somepeople' posted on here, as this is exactly what I mean.

Queenbee

Visit site

^^^this!^^^^

My mare bent awfully to the LHS when I got her, why? Because the previous owners had consistently ridden her with her head turned to the hedge out on hacks to stop her spooking at traffic (even though she didn't have a problem with it!) It put her whole front end out of synch, and even now 10 years on she has to have her shoulder tweaked and is weaker on the right rein. As her rider I acknowledge this and correct this but many riders don't care, they see it as a nice bend on the inside rein and ignore it when on the other and their horse is bending to the outside, a bit like those who don't know the difference between overbent and on the bit!

Its Not Magic

Visit site
^^^this!^^^^

My mare bent awfully to the LHS when I got her, why? Because the previous owners had consistently ridden her with her head turned to the hedge out on hacks to stop her spooking at traffic (even though she didn't have a problem with it!) It put her whole front end out of synch, and even now 10 years on she has to have her shoulder tweaked and is weaker on the right rein. As her rider I acknowledge this and correct this but many riders don't care, they see it as a nice bend on the inside rein and ignore it when on the other and their horse is bending to the outside, a bit like those who don't know the difference between overbent and on the bit!

^^^^ I totally agree. I did say there would be a lot of experienced riders in here which would provide an answer.

Note to Queenbee....Nice to see you again 'E', just to let you know, my daughter finally hit the saddle again 6 weeks ago. It was a long hard haul for her (and me) Understandably she was very anxious to mount. (Bless her) Clearly her passion for horses prevails, brave girl that she is. We are now starting our search again, so if you know of a really nice safe horse with 3 nice paces, which will do a little dressage, please give me a shout. Hope all is well with you.

Queenbee

Visit site
^^^^ I totally agree. I did say there would be a lot of experienced riders in here which would provide an answer.

Note to Queenbee....Nice to see you again 'E', just to let you know, my daughter finally hit the saddle again 6 weeks ago. It was a long hard haul for her (and me) Understandably she was very anxious to mount. (Bless her) Clearly her passion for horses prevails, brave girl that she is. We are now starting our search again, so if you know of a really nice safe horse with 3 nice paces, which will do a little dressage, please give me a shout. Hope all is well with you.

That is fantastic news! Wishing her (and you) all the best, and I shall certainly keep my eyes and ears open for anything suitable.