Your wisdom please! Eventing and cancellations

Landmark97

Visit site
Hello everyone

After my horse finding BCA novice a doddle I was hoping to do Aston intermediate in August. But because of cancellation after cancellation, we would have only done 6 novices by that time (inc. an IN and Gatcombe NRC). I am considering trying to fit an extra run in but this would mean we'd be out 3 weeks on the trot (the first two events only have 3 days between them!). We are going XC training in the beginning of July anyway, but I was wondering if 6 runs at Novice really is too little to be ready for an intermediate? Especially as both me and my horse have only been eventing affiliated for 2 years...

Thanks for reading

millitiger

Visit site
Lots of horses have done so but usually with a very experienced pro on board.

Have all 6 Novices been problem free?
Are you out sj'ing regularly at 1.20-1.25?
What does your trainer think?

MagicMelon

Visit site
As millitiger says - really depends how your 6 novices have gone surely? If the horse has skipped round double clear with ease and you've been training over intermediate fences then you'll probably be alright but if you had any issues at novice / in training then I would do some more before stepping up.

Landmark97

Visit site
Thanks for your replies! I showjumped him over the winter 1.20/1.25 but need to do some more of this soon. Sorry, wasn't clear I've done 3 novices and have three to go (would have done 5 by this point but because of the weather this wasn't possible). He came 2nd in his 1st novice last season and hasn't been out of the 10 since then going double clear every time. We are training in a few weeks so will have a pop over some intermediate fences. So, will see how that goes. Yes that is what I am worried about, I don't have the experience and neither does my horse. But he is bold and brave? Unfortunately, I don't have a regular jumping trainer, but I will definetly see what my dressage trainer says and what my xc trainer says in a few weeks.

ihatework

Visit site
I'd be inclined to say play it safe, aim for a couple of IN's and then have a think about 1*/Int later in the season once you've made sure you are ready

Magister

Visit site
'Yes that is what I am worried about, I don't have the experience and neither does my horse'

Intermediate is a huge step up. I would want an non-pro combination that haven't competed at that level to do at least 8-10 novices very competently jumping all direct routes.
Confidence of horse and rider is hard won and very easily lost.......

The weather has been against you- you will get there,it will just take a little longer!.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you, do you think the step up is a lot more significant than from BE100 to Novice?

Yes in part because novice should be within the scope of most horses, don't forget in the old days there was nothing below novice, the step up will be more testing for his ability as well as your training and preparation, I would wait rather than risk losing confidence I don't think many pro would move up after less than 6, it sounds as if you may not have schooled over Int xc fences yet, get a bit more under your belt so you are really well prepared.

blackhor2e

Visit site
The most significant step up I have done is Novice to Intermediate. In total I did about 12 Novice events before stepping up to do a couple of 1* and then have been at Intermediate / 2 star for another year before moving up again to advanced this year.

However, I am not a professional which is probably why I wanted to get so many runs under my belt before 'it really mattered' if you see what I mean.

There is no rush is there? The dressage is a bit more interesting, showjumping for me was quite a big change in height (and width) XC is much more technically demanding and any mistakes are much more frightening.

My first intermediate was ALW, looking back it was a good place to start. But it really is up to you, personally I would give yourself more runs at Novice and look at doing a couple of 1*s (as they are half a step up). But I don't know you, the horse or your trainer. However, if you have the full support of your trainer in stepping up a level then it can't hurt to try.

If it helps any at Intermediate / Adv level I don't run as often as I did at Novice. 1-2 events a month max.

Landmark97

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to replying to this. Will try and do a 1* if not too expensive beforehand! I am going off to uni this year so I'd like to do as much as I can (as I will have to sell my wonderful horse at the end of the season) but at the same time I completely agree that it would be silly to rush things only to lose confidence. I will hopefully be getting more regular lessons so I will see what my trainer says :)

be positive

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to replying to this. Will try and do a 1* if not too expensive beforehand! I am going off to uni this year so I'd like to do as much as I can (as I will have to sell my wonderful horse at the end of the season) but at the same time I completely agree that it would be silly to rush things only to lose confidence. I will hopefully be getting more regular lessons so I will see what my trainer says :)

If you plan on selling and want to get the best return financially and why shouldn't you, then don't rush and risk spoiling an unblemished record, she should suit another young rider looking to do under 18's, the excellent record of DC's will make her a valuable asset, wait until you are ready and get a few 1*/Int runs as well and you will have the buyers queuing up to buy her.

Clients of mine were looking for a good novice horse several years ago, most had seriously dodgy results, were not really showing much promise or were seriously expensive, we found a horse that had only ever faulted once XC was ready to go Int he had not gained too many points in novice so there was time to get going without too much pressure, we were the first to call, view and bought him subject to vet the day the ad went live, the phone never stopped while we were trying him, there were people lined up waiting in case we pulled out, a poor run or two even if it was rider error would have made him less desirable, he actually continued in much the same way his xc was excellent, unfortunately his rider never managed to get to grips with his dressage but that was more her than him.

blackhor2e

Visit site

I know what you mean about the expense, I usually do CIC's instead of CCI's because of the costs :) Well please think of me when the time to sell happens, I'm going to be looking probably at the same time your selling for a decent novice level horse.

Landmark97

Visit site
If you plan on selling and want to get the best return financially and why shouldn't you, then don't rush and risk spoiling an unblemished record, she should suit another young rider looking to do under 18's, the excellent record of DC's will make her a valuable asset, wait until you are ready and get a few 1*/Int runs as well and you will have the buyers queuing up to buy her.

Clients of mine were looking for a good novice horse several years ago, most had seriously dodgy results, were not really showing much promise or were seriously expensive, we found a horse that had only ever faulted once XC was ready to go Int he had not gained too many points in novice so there was time to get going without too much pressure, we were the first to call, view and bought him subject to vet the day the ad went live, the phone never stopped while we were trying him, there were people lined up waiting in case we pulled out, a poor run or two even if it was rider error would have made him less desirable, he actually continued in much the same way his xc was excellent, unfortunately his rider never managed to get to grips with his dressage but that was more her than him.

Ok thanks, I will bear that in mind.

Landmark97

Visit site
I know what you mean about the expense, I usually do CIC's instead of CCI's because of the costs :) Well please think of me when the time to sell happens, I'm going to be looking probably at the same time your selling for a decent novice level horse.

Wow, I have just seen your thread about Bramham and it would be amazing if he could go to 3 star rider!!! Of course, will do. His name is Landmark ll :) http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/events/results.aspx?horseid=113067

blackhor2e

Visit site
Well I would definitely still be interested in him even if he stayed doing well at novice this season, may see you at Gatcombe? It's about our most southerly advanced event this season :)