Your worming regime

StarFell

Visit site
Please could you post what months of the year you worm your horses, and what you use? I've just moved my boy off a livery yard where it was done for me, so I could do with a bit of advice!

Geraldine

Visit site
I would love to help, but every time we worm at our yard it turns into a Holy Palaver with some people getting upset (and crying WTF???!!) so I just keep in the background now!
confused.gif

However, if you look on t'inernet at various sites that sell wormers you will find plenty of advice and planners.
grin.gif

Can you remember what you last used & when??

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Buy a book on worming that will give you an in depth understanding of the subject.

As a rule of thumb you initially should have a worm count and blood test done on your horse to determine your horses existing base line worm burden.

(You need the blood test to determine encystead small red worms and tape worms)

If your horse shows a worm burdon then you need to purchase a wormer with th especific active ingredient that will elimenate the worms concerned. Your vet will advise you.

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
When I got my horse I just went into my local saddlers and played completely dumb (not difficult for me!
grin.gif
) and asked where do I start?! She told me I was best re-starting with xxx then using xxx and then I was covered for 10 weeks (I think, it was 10). She was very helpful.
smile.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do.

equimax sep/oct (tapes and others)
equest dec (bots and encysted redworm and others)
equimax march/april (tapes and others)
ivermecitin so eqvalan or cheapest alternative once in summer (I only do once as mother poo picks religiously you would need to do every 8 weeks otherwise or consider getting worm counts done)

D

Donkeymad

Please, contact someone knowledgeable about your own horse, such as your vet. There really are one or two odd responses here.
crazy.gif

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
Pramox spring
Equest summer
Pramox autumn
Equest winter
13 weeks interval. Worm counts done all seasons. Still worm for tapeworm spring and autumn as they won't show up unless you have a blood test.