Yours are all out naked..... Right?

FionaM12

Visit site
19 year old Mollie has only worn a rug once since last summer. That was a day when it was freezing cold, wet and windy and I just felt that was too much. Other than that, she was out during the day in winter unrugged and out 24/7 since April and seems fine. :)

Still beginning to get fat though. :mad:

Kat

Visit site
Err no

But she's a sensitive flower with a pathetic coat in a very exposed peak district field. And she only has a rug on overnight. She is also a poor doer who turns into an rspca case if she gets a touch chilly. I'm bringing her in for two feeds a day so no way do I want her to waste energy keeping warm!

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
Wb, PBA, and QHx all in birthday suits bar a fly sheet on one wb as his mate is handy qoth hos gnashers therefore rug gets bitten before horse.

HBM1

Visit site
all out, no rugs but none are clipped (baby boy is only JUST starting to lose his winter fur even!)

tonitot

Visit site
My TB is out 24/7 naked at the moment, she was clipped in January but it's all grown out now and she's got her summer coat. Generally as long as it's dry and doesnt drop below 5/6 degrees at night then shes naked. She doesnt get feed either :eek:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Why oh why are horses rugged now??? They're horses not naked people!!!

They're horses, and they're individuals. Some horses don't cope with a chilly wind. Some do. If I still had my old boy, he wouldn't be rugged; this one is less hardy.

They can run around if they get cold? Unless a horse is ill they do not need a rug.

Errrr...part of the reason mine is rugged, I do not want him galloping around the field, thanks :eek:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh the shame, neither you or JFTD were supposed to see this thread :eek:

"Down" to 7? This is a horse we're talking about, yes? In the winter mine don't get a rug on unless it's -2 (they are not clipped), in the spring (or when it's more than -2) they go out in all weathers as is. What are we, dressing dollies?

Or Cortez it would seem :D

"Oli the dolly" has a nice ring to it tho :p:p:p;)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Ours have been starkers all winter cos I am a nasty cruel owner. We have one rug between the two of them, for emergencies only. So far it hasn't been used in 5 years.

I truly believe there is a connection between over-rugging/rugging and laminitis. Our big lammi prone lad went to live with my daughter and she took away all his big warm fluffy rugs and kicked him out of his warm fluffy bed and made him be a horse. Farrier, who thought we were going to lose him as a 16hh cob doesn't stand a good chance with lammi, is stunned by the difference in him. He looks fantastic and has been sound for four years.

Me? I still sit and cringe when its cold or very wet... but I know they are better unrugged.