YP has an intresting day at ely

dafthoss

Visit site
Well we entered the unaff ht at ely today, was hoping for a nice run to end the season on. YP has been full of him self since moving yards and I was hoping this would mean we could move on between fences and start moving at a real xc pace.

I, in all my madness, decided to try him in his flat work bit as he has been galloping really well in it and I have jumped him a few times at home in it without a problem. I just felt that although he wasnt backing off the contact before he wasnt moving on as well as he could with the roller snaffle.

I arrived to find YP prancing round his field which left me looking like this :D much to the suprise of my friend/groom for the day and my dad who just wished me luck :rolleyes: they have no faith.

When we were leaving the actual village of little downham I get a phone call from the mother who had decided to stay at home today, saying she had fallen over and was being taken to the doctor by her brother. Didnt think much of it and she assured us she would be fine so we carried on.

Arivved early(!) for once, mainly because I didnt walk the course the day before so didnt know the estimated times :eek:. So had plenty of time to walk the course and get ready. Thought there would be a few questions for him, mainly the log down the hill on a curving line to a skinny log, a bright pink corner and the logs in the water. The rest looked nice and doable but the ground was going to cause problems as there was standing water in places and it was very wet.

YP warmed up like he always used to :D was nice and forwards off my leg. Which is just the way I like him, think canter and he goes even if it does mean spooking at jumps you go past :cool:.

Any way he set off like he had a rocket up his backside :D:D (well for him any way) locked on to his first one and landed running :D. Had a sneaky sideways look at the smaller options at 2 but jumped his and was off. Slightly backed off 3 but popped it and moved on down to 4. Again over 4 without a second thought and feeling really fab. Had a real which one now mum at 5, over the barells and then a sneaky look at the dip which he really didnt need to look at and over the pink corner!! Yep little YP jumped the bright pink blimmin corner without me even having to get after him :D. He was feeling super grown up at this point and I was really enjoying it.

He then saw a big patch of mud and the ground got sticky and he went back to being wobbly and backwards :(. Had a good look at the water but agreed to walk through and picked up trot half way so we could get over the little log on the way out. Moved on when asked to the table and made it feel really easy.

Then we had a right moment where he saw a fence from the BE novice the other week, which was obviously really scarey despite me not even asking him to go near it and a crowd of people. The little git slammed on the breaks and attempted to spin for home :mad: but after a bit of pc kicking he decided he could go on as it wasnt really worth getting him bottom smacked. Through the sunken road which he had a good look at the step down despite never having had a problem with steps down. But again after another unstylish pc kick he popped off and out the other side. He did for once push on down the straight after the sunken road.

Got to the ditch palicade double, where he proceded to stick his head down the ditch to have a good look inside despite never having been ditchy :rolleyes:. Any way fence judge was a bit mean and gave him a 20 for having a look even though he didnt step back. Grr! However he locked on to the palicade after so I'll let him off as we were never going to be inside the time after his little incident earlier.

Now he then had the rails with some hedge inbetween which he previously loved (pic in my siggy) so I was fairly happy to just sj him over it as it has a drop on landing which when your pony has such short legs is really quite noticable. Only he had other ideas and only seemed to remember about 3 of his legs :eek: thankfully I wasnt infront of him and slipped my reins on the way down to let him do his thing. Sadly this also ment I landed in front of the saddle :eek: but he did find a fith leg which saved us both. Then I had the dilema of pulling up and sorting my self out or letting go of the reins and pushing my self back before sorting my knitting out and carrying on. I aimed him in the direction of the next fence and dropped my reins and tried to shove my self back where I should have been. Only pony had other ideas and merrily headed in the opposite direction :eek:. But safley back where I should be and we headed off towards the water.

I hope this link works to the pro pics from the incident, if so just keep clicking to the next one. If not they seem to work if you click little downham then on to any picture and then click the links I posted.

http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=309&Action=VF&id=9475785402&ppp=0&ppwd=72693bcn

He had another good look at the water and then decided he could just about trot through but couldnt do the logs despite my insistance he could walk over them (he has in the past) :mad: git pony! And frustraitingly hopped straight over on second attempt :mad:.

Like so
http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=309&Action=VF&id=9475648402&ppp=0&ppwd=72693bcn

Then we hit the I know better than you stage and this is where I need some advice. As he sailed up to the white roll top refusing to listen to a thing I said trying to nip between the gap, then propmtly stopped :mad:. He got a smacked bottom and then casually popped it with a 'well you should have said that one'.
like so
565047_10151144174304601_2017679947_n.jpg

(taken by a friend on my camera before any button pushers get carried away!)

Then to the log combo which he popped straight through, strange creature didnt even wobble at the skinny despite the turn being very slippy.

And then we had a paddy at the white chair :confused: which he has jumped several times before so more smacked bottoms of him! and again he then popped it as if it was nothing.

He was a brat to the next few fences as I just couldnt get hold of him in front so he was taking the pee big time!

But managed to get him back focused to jump the last nicely

267652_10151144176444601_1667327714_n.jpg

So a mixed day, he went well, had a paddy, saved our back sides then became a brat...

So the french link didnt suit for xc, he goes forward in it but I cant get hold of him when he decides to be a brat. The snaffle I have that has the mouth piece similar to a tom thumb, with the copper rollers he wont gallop in but I can get hold of him when needed and the same with the cs tongue saver he has. So suggestions on a post card for any thing between the two? He wont go in a single joint and is very picky about poll pressure to the point that any thing with poll pressure has to have two reins and be used sparingly. And hates jumping in a pellham and gets a bit hysterical about his face being toched in it.

Apart from that, I think thats the end of our xc/eventing season so a winter of sj and dressage lessons ahead. Potentially thinking about stepping his sj up a level just to have a go at a few clear rounds and see how he finds it as he has done it at home and pc with ease and maybe a bit of hunting so I can see if I can get him a little less precious going xc ready for next season.

Back to the mother turns out she spent the afternoon in A&E with her brother and has two fractured ribs so any extra healing vibes apreciated and sweeties a pelnty if you get this far!

BeckyD

Visit site
Sending speedy healing wishes to your mum (that must have been quite a fall!).

Grrrr YP is as frsutrating as Bill, isn't he?! I absolutely love the picture over the last fence. He is so gorgeous! Such a pop in him. Can't believe he jumped the pink fence without batting an eyelid. They are the damnedest creatures.

I'm going to PM you re a thought. I have no suggestions on bits - lots of people suggested different things to me, and it turned out to be a ported Myler with hooks that did the trick, having tried 12 others of varying degrees of brakeitude (new word?). I have a veritable bit bank of my own but I think YP might find them all a bit much (I've got some tough ones like waterfords, tom thumb, nelson gag etc)...but if there's anything you think of trying, give me a shout as I may already have it :rolleyes:

Will PM you...

Jericho

Visit site
Phew that looked like a tough course and hard work to ride round! I cant believe you managed to stay on over that hedge jump - your heart must have been in your mouth!!!

well done though - you are far braver than me and healing vibes to your mum

Biradigo

Visit site
Hope your mum recovers soon!

And wow! They are big jumps! I would have quit at the first fence to go to the loo....

Suziq77

Visit site
Yellow pony looks fab (and you too). I can't wait to get my two to the stage where they're happy going XC in a competitive environment. Well done and hope your mum mends quickly....

Lolo

Visit site
Your poor mum! Love the photos, dead impressed you linked. I usually utterly fail at being able to link Trevor's photos!

It's great he was feeling so forwards though, even if he took it too far ;) How big is his mouth?

Thistle

Visit site
Thinking about the bitting, how is he with nose pressure? How about a micklem bridle with clips , using the same bit so pressure is transferred to the nose. Or poss a kineton noseband.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Huge eeeeek at those pictures, incident and size of jumps ;)

Well done for staying on!

Norty YP - but big progress with him taking you forward.

Hope mum recovers soon :(

bananas_22

Visit site
Well sat!! I love YP - he sounds loveably naughty ;) Fantastic photos and glad you have found the next gear up for him. Fingers crossed for a bit which also combines this with control when necessary!

JFTDWS

Visit site
LOVE the last photo. Typical YP - v talented (look at those knees!) but also too opinionated! The hedge rails photos are rather scary - he just left that leg behind :eek: well recovered though from both of you :)

Your poor mum :( hope she's ok x

dafthoss

Visit site
I love him; he's so handsome :)

Good recovery from the forgotten leg incident! Hope your Mum recovers quickly. No advice but just wanted to say I love him and your report was fab :)

Good and naughty yp!! He is just so cute, pops will show him how it's done in April!! Sounds like a decent course though may have to have a school round with madam!

Yay we look forward to it! he had it cracked over the first few and I actually could enjoy the ride but then it all fell apart when he saw some mud, he isnt called twinkle toes for nothing! Will brave hunting him and see if that helps :eek:

Sending speedy healing wishes to your mum (that must have been quite a fall!).

Grrrr YP is as frsutrating as Bill, isn't he?! I absolutely love the picture over the last fence. He is so gorgeous! Such a pop in him. Can't believe he jumped the pink fence without batting an eyelid. They are the damnedest creatures.

I'm going to PM you re a thought. I have no suggestions on bits - lots of people suggested different things to me, and it turned out to be a ported Myler with hooks that did the trick, having tried 12 others of varying degrees of brakeitude (new word?). I have a veritable bit bank of my own but I think YP might find them all a bit much (I've got some tough ones like waterfords, tom thumb, nelson gag etc)...but if there's anything you think of trying, give me a shout as I may already have it :rolleyes:

Will PM you...

She fell on some washing and landed on a cool box :cool: not quite sure how she managed it but it confirmed that she does indeed have no sense of self preservation.

He is so frustrating hes jumping the last big enough for it to be the novice option! Little git he looked at the other pink thing that was in the bigger course but when I presented him at it he just did it, wasnt expecting that after the issues with the yellow roof at ickworth.

Definatly agree with your PM, I'll reply later I'm just off out for a friends birthday meal. Thanks re the bits, going to have a think as it has to be soft but have a bit more Oi power when needed.

Phew that looked like a tough course and hard work to ride round! I cant believe you managed to stay on over that hedge jump - your heart must have been in your mouth!!!

well done though - you are far braver than me and healing vibes to your mum

Didnt realise how badly he left a leg until I saw the photos, he is normally so clean in front that I didnt think he had done it that badly. I didnt really think about it either just lent as far back as possible it was only when I was sat on his neck that I was a touch worried.

Hope your mum recovers soon!

And wow! They are big jumps! I would have quit at the first fence to go to the loo....

Thanks, he makes them feel small so they really dont ride as big as you would expect them to on a 14.2.

Lol, an entertainingly written report, and some fabulous photos despite his naughtiness, he is so sweet :)

Thanks he has his moments :cool:.

I was talking to you in the warm up, was with the somewhat speedy dark bay/brown mare with big ears! http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=309&Action=VF&id=9475780802&ppp=0&ppwd=72693bcn

Ahh hello you should have said some thing! Were you the one riding or helping?

Yellow pony looks fab (and you too). I can't wait to get my two to the stage where they're happy going XC in a competitive environment. Well done and hope your mum mends quickly....

Xc is the best bit :D its taken him ages to get this far and there have been some major ups and downs along the way but when it goes well its the best thing ever!

Your poor mum! Love the photos, dead impressed you linked. I usually utterly fail at being able to link Trevor's photos!

It's great he was feeling so forwards though, even if he took it too far ;) How big is his mouth?

I'll tell you how I did it when I get back.

Yep forwards is great and just what I wanted but we need to find some thing that he likes as much as me. He wears any thing from 5''-5.5''.

Thinking about the bitting, how is he with nose pressure? How about a micklem bridle with clips , using the same bit so pressure is transferred to the nose. Or poss a kineton noseband.

Never tried him in any thing with nose pressure, was going to see if I could find a cheap kinnerton on flebay before splashing out on a miklem :rolleyes:, was also hoping he might like it on the flat where he is equally fussy. Only thing is the grackle is really helpful with steering him when jumps are involved so not sure the two would work together :confused:.

Bloody hell, well sat girl!!!

Thanks, one reason not to get infront of the pony.

Huge eeeeek at those pictures, incident and size of jumps ;)

Well done for staying on!

Norty YP - but big progress with him taking you forward.

Hope mum recovers soon :(

Pictures not nice viewing :eek: but we lived to tell the tale and didnt join mum in A&E :cool:

Well sat!! I love YP - he sounds loveably naughty ;) Fantastic photos and glad you have found the next gear up for him. Fingers crossed for a bit which also combines this with control when necessary!

yes he is just naughty enough to annoy you but if you tell him off he becomes 10x worse so you have to be a bit careful at times.

Wow, well sat!

T x

LOVE the last photo. Typical YP - v talented (look at those knees!) but also too opinionated! The hedge rails photos are rather scary - he just left that leg behind :eek: well recovered though from both of you :)

Your poor mum :( hope she's ok x

Yep thats him all over :rolleyes:. The hedge thing was a total suprise as he loved that jump last time.

She will be ok, shes very sore and a bit high on painkillers ;)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Bl00dy well sat love, I'd have been off!

ETS: Definitely come hunting. Not that I can join you of course. Boo.

Last edited:

Thistle

Visit site
I was on foot, my daughter rides the whizzy one! Mad blond curly hair and a purple gilet. I did wonder if it was you as the pony looked familiar.

To find out how he is with nose pressure just try riding him off the headcollar with two ropes, he will either listen or he won't. Make sure you are in an enclosed space though! Or else borrow a hackamore and have a play. I guess he is just a wee bit too clever for his own good. Daughter has been doing lots of work adjusting striding using her seat and weight as Floss hates her mouth being touched and reacts by throwing her ears up your nose. Do you have a good trainer to help you?

MegaBeast

Visit site
Love the last pic.

With bits, have you ever tried him in a Waterford? I'm a huge fan of those as horses can't grab hold to lean on them but they also respect them whilst being happy to gallop on. I think one of the most useful bits I own is a full cheek waterford.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Jolly good report, but how frustrating for you! I think getting the right bit will help a lot, maybe ask an experienced event rider for advice?

(I overheared a conversation once about an eventer that was too strong for the rider, so she put a really strong bit in his mouth, but she said it ruined him, as he liked to be "in charge" and he was never the same again, so you need to be careful, but you realise that!)

He is naughty that he stops and looks at things he has done before, can't really suggest anything - do you take him hunting?

dafthoss

Visit site
Bl00dy well sat love, I'd have been off!

ETS: Definitely come hunting. Not that I can join you of course. Boo.

Yes will do, I thought you said you could still hunt BH with this new person? That or your bringing nitty as I wont have a clue what I'm doing :eek:.

I was on foot, my daughter rides the whizzy one! Mad blond curly hair and a purple gilet. I did wonder if it was you as the pony looked familiar.

To find out how he is with nose pressure just try riding him off the headcollar with two ropes, he will either listen or he won't. Make sure you are in an enclosed space though! Or else borrow a hackamore and have a play. I guess he is just a wee bit too clever for his own good. Daughter has been doing lots of work adjusting striding using her seat and weight as Floss hates her mouth being touched and reacts by throwing her ears up your nose. Do you have a good trainer to help you?

Ahh yes hello :D

Yep I used to ride him in a head collar all the time at previous yards as the fields were a long walk away :eek: but it has to be a non squishy one as he buggers off in a squishy one :rolleyes:. He is super reactive to my seat and what not but not when he doesnt fancy going between the flags sadly.

Love the last pic.

With bits, have you ever tried him in a Waterford? I'm a huge fan of those as horses can't grab hold to lean on them but they also respect them whilst being happy to gallop on. I think one of the most useful bits I own is a full cheek waterford.

I love that photo as well and my shiney new camera that took it :D

Nope not tried a waterford had him in a thing with copper rollers which is great but he wont gallop in it. Waterfords are a bit love or hate really for horses arnt they? and as he isnt strong as such, he never pulls just doesnt always listen when it doest suit him. Might start another thread some time to get some more ideas to try.

Jolly good report, but how frustrating for you! I think getting the right bit will help a lot, maybe ask an experienced event rider for advice?

(I overheared a conversation once about an eventer that was too strong for the rider, so she put a really strong bit in his mouth, but she said it ruined him, as he liked to be "in charge" and he was never the same again, so you need to be careful, but you realise that!)

He is naughty that he stops and looks at things he has done before, can't really suggest anything - do you take him hunting?

No I've never really taken him to an event rider as such, just used my normal instructors. I'm always a bit wary as some cant seem to see past him being a pony not the typical eventer type so tend to go on recomendations only. But have one in mind to go and get some help from who comes very highly recomended :cool:. Definatly dont want him over bitted as he does just freak even on the flat, he needs to be really confident in his mouth to jump properly and to gallop but I do some times just need to be able to get hold of him when he starts being a brat.

I think thats what I find most frustrating in that its the simple things he is naughty at, if it was the technical questions he faulted through I could understand but he seems to love them.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I can still bring BH but not until he's fit. Which he isn't as he's had nearly two weeks off again now Nitty is back :rolleyes: Depending on who you want to go out with though I can probably point you in the direction of a friendly face or two :) Or you can wait until after Christmas and I might just about be ready by then.

dafthoss

Visit site
looks great! :D big fences! :eek: !! hope your mum recovers soon!

I can still bring BH but not until he's fit. Which he isn't as he's had nearly two weeks off again now Nitty is back :rolleyes: Depending on who you want to go out with though I can probably point you in the direction of a friendly face or two :) Or you can wait until after Christmas and I might just about be ready by then.

We will wait until he is fit then I think I will need a friendly face. When are you aiming to have him back out?

Blimey!! Well sat!! :eek:

Love the pic of you over the last :)

Thanks he can jump really nicely when he wants.